Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is it worth it?
Quote | Reply
With the deals coming in the next couple days do I really need to shell out a grand for a smart trainer?

Currently using a quarq and Kirk kinetic dumb trainer. Am I really missing that much?

Using Zwift for the workouts group ride not racing and may go back to TR for a change.

A grand is a lot to drop to get road feel when I can get the power numbers via my quarq.

Thoughts much appreciated

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Re: Is it worth it? [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I think something like the Kikr Core would be closer to 700$ bucks with holiday or team discounts. Still a chunk of money, but less outrageous.

Honesty I am tempted because my dumb trainer is a noisy, wobbly POS and the marginal cost increase is not that outrageous. As to whether it is an improvement, well probably not. I really like the feel of the smooth heavy flywheel on the kickr, but I actually think less flywheel makes you work harder because at the top of the pedal stroke you have to maintain momentum. There was a Velonews article that talked about why people typically put out less power on a trainer. Maybe it is just mental , but I feel like training indoors helps me go faster outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kinetic road machine "smart" fluid trainer that cost me @ $350. Smooth, quiet, works with Zwift. Just doesn't have resistance (control). I only ride indoors for 1-1.5 hours a couple times a week. That's all I need for a good workout, personally.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is nothing wrong with your current trainer I wouldn't change. If you were in the market for a new trainer anyways I would recommend getting a smart trainer.

If you are using Zwift or TR you are spending $150+/year on software. You don't need to spend a grand for a smart trainer but it reasonable to assume one might spend $200 for a dumb trainer but $700 for a smart trainer. Assuming the lifespan is about 5 years that means the dumb trainer+zwift costs $950 vs $1450 for the smart trainer+zwift. I think the 50% extra you pay for the smart trainer is worth it this context because it lets you get more from the software you are already paying for. I wouldn't however recommend upgrading to a Neo/Kickr if you already have a perfectly good dumb trainer and PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You already have the best dumb trainer (IMHO) and a very good power meter. So, your training potential is excellent.

Jumping to a smart trainer is not about road feel. It simply makes the workout a little easier, because you can totally check out and watch TV or a movie. A smart trainer will not let you take any shortcuts. Plus, a smart trainer lets you get more out of the Zwift gamification workouts.

It is really most a question of budget and luxury. I rode a lot of my KKRM + Power Meter and gained most of my performance on that platform. I eventually switched to a smart trainer, but it did not add performance so much as convenience and coolness.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it worth it? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the lifespan of new trainers is only 5 years, someone really needs to bring computrainers back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option if you want the whole "feel" is the new Elite Nero. It hasn't been released in the US yet but can grab it from EU dealers online. It's smart rollers for around $800 and gets nice and compact if you ever need to store or move it around.

https://www.clevertraining.com/...09CN13hoCwVQQAvD_BwE

Also, yes it's worth the upgrade IMO, changes the experience a fair amount and you might find yourself enjoying it much more.
Last edited by: mbecks2: Nov 21, 18 6:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brand new CycleOps Hammers with minor scratches are around $700 now. I would jump on that if I didn't already have one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone I appreciate the candor and responses - right now my set up works and I’m getting a good workout. So as some has said if I was needing a new trainer then bite the bullet - I’m not so I will stay with what I’ve got for the time being. Thanks again everyone!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the last month, I've been using my KK Road Machine and the new KK inRide 3 Power Sensor on TrainerRoad. It works perfectly and I couldn't be happier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently picked up a used rock n roll trainer by Kurt kinetic. It works well with zwift and I can’t imagine a smart trainer giving me much bigger of a training effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But broke down and grabbed a smart trainer - used DCRainmakers 8 hr 20% sale - bought Hammer H2 from Clever Training - now waiting for it to ship..... still a tough decision between H2 and Kickr 2018 but reading those issues regarding #wahoogate - I opted for H2 - fingers crossed the noise is bearable cause the Kickr 2018 is totting itself as silent - did I buy the right direct drive trainer???

Quote Reply