Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore?
Quote | Reply
My in-laws are all former swimmers, and one of my wife's uncles still does a lot of meets and open water swimming and is very involved in officiating, USMS, etc. I'll call him Uncle A. As an adult onset swimmer who is regarded by these folks generally as a talented athlete they are always shocked at my slow swimming. I mentioned to my father-in-law that I can only do 32 seconds for a 50 scy and he was blown away and told me all about how he was under 30 by 7th grade.

Anyway....

The topic of a kid one of them knows who is a sophomore in high school who swims a 49 for 100 scy and Uncle A says "That's pretty pedestrian."

Everyone seems a bit incredulous. I ask him what does that mean? How many high school kids are under 49? over 1000? He guffaws and says WAAAYYY over 1000. Just in his district in NoCal every single high school team has at least one kid under 49 and on some teams EVERYONE is under 49.

Is this true? It seems pretty incredible to me.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure someone will dig up the stats.

I can say from my experience (though I'm in Canada), that a 49s 100y free would put you in the finals (top 8) for the provincial champs at the HS senior level. Of course, there would have been people who could have hit this sort of time, but swam other events instead (we had a 2 event + 1 relay limit when I raced), but I would not classify this as a 'common' time at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [jsjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yards or Meters ? Big difference....

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's correct. Check out this tiny meet for example
A 15 yo boy swam a 49.45. The kid who came in 2nd had a seed time of 46.13 for the 100 free scy.

If you go to a larger meet in SoCal, a sub 49 second 100 free may not always get you into the top 5.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's one more

The winner of the 15-16 yo boys goes sub 49, with a sub 48 seed time.

Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Here's one more

The winner of the 15-16 yo boys goes sub 49, with a sub 48 seed time.

Show me 'thousands' please. I'm sure there is some US list somewhere aggregating the top 15yo boys times across the USA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winter juniors cuts it’s a 45.39. That is what you would call “fast” on a national scale. 15 year old males arent quite fully developed. But if a 15 year old kid has been swimming year round since he was 8 and he only does a 49 he is not fast. But also know that a kid who swims a 49 at a high school duel meet is pretty darn fast compared to the average so it’s definitely respectable but you need some context .
Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [jsjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can definitely generate these kind of lists on the USA swimming website if you are board (edit or bored)
Last edited by: Gonefishin5555: Nov 28, 18 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking thru the top times for my daughters region (Pacific Northwest) from last year - the top 25 times for 15 yo were all sub 50 with the fastest 45.5x and there were 10 boys 14yo who went sub 50.

When I'm fit I'm around 32 as well. My daughter is 24.65 50 scy - and not a sprinter haha.

It's a speedwalking pedestrian at 49 but not fast fast.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so 25 15 year-olds in the pacific northwest. Does that translate to thousands of them nation-wide?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonefishin5555 wrote:
You can definitely generate these kind of lists on the USA swimming website if you are board (edit or bored)

Found it playing around here: https://www.usaswimming.org/times/event-rank-search

While not the easiest to use, I figured out that in the 2018 competition year, the 250th ranked male 15 and under was 47.9.

So, while there certainly aren't 'thousands', there are probably 4-500 a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that was the top 25 all under that mark. Maybe more than that...that was 49.65 I believe - how many more like that? Plus you have to count 16yo too in the sophomore count. And this is just USA swimming, there are other swim avenues even though the numbers are probably smaller.

I would say that there are definitely a couple thousand...I would rest easy with that number.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More like 958 :)

query parameters in the image attached. If you include girls 15-18, you'd get another 42 sub 49 second swims

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was actually 1042 15yo 49.99 or faster. The volume of athletes that can swim there is pretty high.

1884 16yo 49.99 or faster.

This is just USA swimming so I guess it is 1000s

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
My in-laws are all former swimmers, and one of my wife's uncles still does a lot of meets and open water swimming and is very involved in officiating, USMS, etc. I'll call him Uncle A. As an adult onset swimmer who is regarded by these folks generally as a talented athlete they are always shocked at my slow swimming. I mentioned to my father-in-law that I can only do 32 seconds for a 50 scy and he was blown away and told me all about how he was under 30 by 7th grade.
Anyway....
The topic of a kid one of them knows who is a sophomore in high school who swims a 49 for 100 scy and Uncle A says "That's pretty pedestrian."
Everyone seems a bit incredulous. I ask him what does that mean? How many high school kids are under 49? over 1000? He guffaws and says WAAAYYY over 1000. Just in his district in NoCal every single high school team has at least one kid under 49 and on some teams EVERYONE is under 49.

The USA Swimming age group time standards are, IMO, the best way to compare swimming times across diff ages and diff events. These standards categorize swimming times by age and event and "grade" any given time from "lower than B", B, BB, A, AA, AAA, and AAAA. According to these standards, 49.XX puts a 15 yr old male solidly in the AAA category as the AAA 100 yd free standard is 50.49. To make AAAA, he would need to go 48.19 before turning 16. I suppose the definition of "pedestrian" varies according to the person's frame of reference but given that the age 15 male B standard is 1:04, I personally would not say 49 is pedestrian. If he has been swimming hard for several years, he may not become an Oly Trials finalist but, in the grand scheme of swimming, he is certainly a very quick swimmer. Your Uncle A sounds a bit "elitist" in this judgment. You should ask him what his best 100 free time is. :)

Also, just FYI, the 18 yr old B standards for the 500, 1000, and 1650 free are 6:07, 12:51, and 21:21. These might be good goals for aspiring tri swimmers under age 40. For anyone interested, here's the link to the pdf file:

file:///C:/Users/Eric%20Mulkey/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/2020-motivational-times-top-16-single-age.pdf

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Nov 28, 18 20:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsjs wrote:
I'm sure someone will dig up the stats.

I can say from my experience (though I'm in Canada), that a 49s 100y free would put you in the finals (top 8) for the provincial champs at the HS senior level. Of course, there would have been people who could have hit this sort of time, but swam other events instead (we had a 2 event + 1 relay limit when I raced), but I would not classify this as a 'common' time at all.

Maybe, but HS swimming in Canada isn’t anything close to what it is in the US. So far in 2018, there have been 130 15-16 y/o boys who’ve gone 55.0 or faster for the 100 scm, which is roughly equivalent to the 49 for 100scy. That’s not counting the kids who are younger than that who’ve gone 55 or better. (Edit, there are 17 13-14 y/o’s who’ve done that) Most of those kids swim in the club system, not HS.

Given that the US has 10x the population and swimming is generally at a higher level than Canada anyway, there are likely thousands of kids who have gone faster than 49 for the 100, and that’s not even counting the ones who can but don’t swim that event.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 28, 18 21:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Washington state last year, a 49 didn't even qualify my brother (a junior) for the state meet. Not pedestrian, but definitely getting a lot more common.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given how many kids are that fast or faster, (some waaaay faster) I’d say uncle A is right, if I interpret his statement through his viewpoint as a guy who sees a ton of these performances all the time. It’s not that a 49 is slow, but by the same token it’s not outstanding. If that’s your best event, that probably won’t land you a college scholarship at a D1 school, and probably not even a D2.

In this context, pedestrian = commonplace.

For a bit of context, I was about a 56 or 57 100scm at age 16, I started late (14). That’s a 50-51s 100scy, back in the 80’s when times were about 1-2s slower than now at the top level. I wasn’t even close to sniffing any kind of D1 or D2 team in the US as a walk-on, let alone a scholarship.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 28, 18 21:11
Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Given how many kids are that fast or faster, (some waaaay faster) I’d say uncle A is right, if I interpret his statement through his viewpoint as a guy who sees a ton of these performances all the time. It’s not that a 49 is slow, but by the same token it’s not outstanding. If that’s your best event, that probably won’t land you a college scholarship at a D1 school, and probably not even a D2.

In this context, pedestrian = commonplace.

For a bit of context, I was about a 56 or 57 100scm at age 16, I started late (14). That’s a 50-51s 100scy, back in the 80’s when times were about 1-2s slower than now at the top level. I wasn’t even close to sniffing any kind of D1 or D2 team in the US as a walk-on, let alone a scholarship.

You could have walked on at my D1 school in the '80's. I did, slower than that. And could have at a few more schools for sure.
Swimming scholarships are actually pretty rate. Current limit looks like 9.9 per school. Spread over 4-5 years is 2 to 2.5 per year.
IF, and that's a big IF the school fully funds. Often scholarships are split to give more people a little $.
My school gave the equivalent of 3 full scholarships. Split so that 3 guys a year got fees (~tuition) covered. Not really much of an expenditure by the school.

I wouldn't call a HS Soph 49 pedestrian, but obviously a few thousand in the US can do that
Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
In Washington state last year, a 49 didn't even qualify my brother (a junior) for the state meet. Not pedestrian, but definitely getting a lot more common.

Looking through this year's (Feb. 2018) state champs meet here in Texas the slowest qualifier for the boys 100 free qualified for the meet with a 47.79 (probably had the race of his life at regional 2 weeks earlier). He didn't get too far as he went a 49.92 in prelims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my two cents...
short answer - no 49.99 for a high school male is not anything to write home about. and i would image that there are way more that 1000 high school males who are under 49.99 by the end of their season.

a bit longer answer -
as coach/volunteer with a decently ranking D3 swimming program, our program would not bother recruiting a high school junior/senior that is going 49.99 in the 100 free. a hs male fresh/soph...maybe??? but that is too early for us to start talking to them. (side not, we are currently recruiting women in the 50-51 range).

i did a quick USA swim database search (https://www.usaswimming.org/times/event-rank-search) of 13-15 year olds "this season". 49.99 puts you at a 4 way tie for 499th in the US of A. now there are a few important considerations here..."this season" is actually very important because that only includes September 2018-today. Most US swim clubs have not tapered for the championship meets at this point in the season, so all of these times are times under training. throw a taper in there and you'll get way more people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread highlights how really shitty triathletes are at swimming...…:-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Anyway....

The USA Swimming age group time standards are, IMO, the best way to compare swimming times across diff ages and diff events. These standards categorize swimming times by age and event and "grade" any given time from "lower than B", B, BB, A, AA, AAA, and AAAA. According to these standards, 49.XX puts a 15 yr old male solidly in the AAA category as the AAA 100 yd free standard is 50.49. To make AAAA, he would need to go 48.19 before turning 16. I suppose the definition of "pedestrian" varies according to the person's frame of reference but given that the age 15 male B standard is 1:04, I personally would not say 49 is pedestrian. If he has been swimming hard for several years, he may not become an Oly Trials finalist but, in the grand scheme of swimming, he is certainly a very quick swimmer. Your Uncle A sounds a bit "elitist" in this judgment. You should ask him what his best 100 free time is. :)

Also, just FYI, the 18 yr old B standards for the 500, 1000, and 1650 free are 6:07, 12:51, and 21:21. These might be good goals for aspiring tri swimmers under age 40. For anyone interested, here's the link to the pdf file:

file:///C:/Users/Eric%20Mulkey/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/2020-motivational-times-top-16-single-age.pdf

Those aren't really "standards" per se, although some meets may piggyback off them and clubs may use them for selecting who can go to certain meets. They are motivational times for tracking development.

Here's a link to how those times are arrived at, https://cdn.swimswam.com/...e-Standards-2012.pdf

For the 15-16 boys 100scy free, the adjustment factor is a 5. Applying the formula in the link, that means that to meet a AAA standard you are 10% slower than the average 16th place rank over the previous 4 years for that age group. That doesn't mean you are slow, but it isn't anything outstanding either. A "B" standard is a whopping 40% slower than the top 16 average.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USA Swimming site ftw..

I searched males 10-16 yo, 100 FR scy 2019 competition year, and there are 1000 boys 49.79 and faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it true that 49 seconds for 100 SCY is "pedestrian" for a high school sophomore? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, and no-one has had a championship meet yet.

Just went to the USA swimming site, and the search isn't working for me (firewall issue, maybe?) but I see that Winter Nationals are on. So there's a nice time-suck for me while I work (rewriting standard financial statement reports this week, we just completed a massive project to convert our chart of accounts. Yay for mind numbing tasks!!)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next