Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..?
Quote | Reply
Thinking about a new toy next year...and starting to daydream about what's coming up.

I'm guessing disc brakes all round with new models from Trek, Specialized, Canyon & Scott..?

P5X doesn't really seem to be selling that well as far as I can see...so will they for down the Beam bike route, or the wheeled suitcase frame - with hidden compartments for everything..?

Personally, I'd just like something light, lean, nimble and slick looking but also adaptable. Probably more like the Canyon or Speed-concept. I for one have ZERO interest in disc brakes on a TT bike at this stage - I've spent more than enough on fast wheels lately.!

I would like to see the Di2 / Etap junction boxes nicely hidden, but accessible - perhaps on the down tube like the Cannondale Synapse for example?

What I'd really like to be able to do is to 'mould' my own aerobar extensions..!
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt IA will get disc brakes but not a full re-design.

I expect a new specialized tt/tri bike by Kona. Likely disc brakes. But we have been saying this for the past 2 years so we'll see if they deliver.

I'm guessing Trek will have a new tri bike out with disc brakes. But my gut says it won't be much of improvement or any at all over the current SC.

I think the biggest thing is what 3T is going to bring to the table.

get comfortable being uncomfortable
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking no new TT bike from Trek for 2019. They are currently out of a couple sizes for the Speed Concept on their dealer site with stock to arrive in July. If it was a new model, there would be a sold out with new model date.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBB1975 wrote:
I’m thinking no new TT bike from Trek for 2019. They are currently out of a couple sizes for the Speed Concept on their dealer site with stock to arrive in July. If it was a new model, there would be a sold out with new model date.

Yeah my theory has always been that mfg's will release a disc brake bike but still keep their rim brake bikes available for purchase. Rim brakes bikes aren't going anywhere.

get comfortable being uncomfortable
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Felt IA will get disc brakes but not a full re-design.

I expect a new specialized tt/tri bike by Kona. Likely disc brakes. But we have been saying this for the past 2 years so we'll see if they deliver.
.

I wish you better luck with your Specialized prediction. I have thought there would be a new TT bike from them for probably 4-5 years. You would think being the first company to build a wind tunnel would mean there would be some emphasis on TT/Tri bikes, but that hasn't happened! Other than the Venge Vias, they don't really have much aero stuff that stands out in the market. The Shivs are based on a 7-8 year old design. Clothing is nothing spectacular. Helmets are good but not exceptional. I don't get it.

My one prediction will be that Trek adds IsoSpeed to the Speed Concept. Improved comfort for IM distance seems like a huge selling point to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will 12 speeds be the norm?
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason I am looking at a new bike is because of Trek. I recently had a warranty issue and the only Speedconcept frameset available is the grey 2017 uci version which I don't really want. (I've got it, and it's fine...but I bought the Tri version for a reason.!) which makes me think they are pulling stock where they can for this year, with a new one coming out later in the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
stevej wrote:
Felt IA will get disc brakes but not a full re-design.

I expect a new specialized tt/tri bike by Kona. Likely disc brakes. But we have been saying this for the past 2 years so we'll see if they deliver.
.


I wish you better luck with your Specialized prediction. I have thought there would be a new TT bike from them for probably 4-5 years. You would think being the first company to build a wind tunnel would mean there would be some emphasis on TT/Tri bikes, but that hasn't happened! Other than the Venge Vias, they don't really have much aero stuff that stands out in the market. The Shivs are based on a 7-8 year old design. Clothing is nothing spectacular. Helmets are good but not exceptional. I don't get it.

My one prediction will be that Trek adds IsoSpeed to the Speed Concept. Improved comfort for IM distance seems like a huge selling point to me.

Well I think we can confidently say that the next Shiv will be disc brake and coming soon:

https://www.bikeradar.com/...rmac-10r-disc-52305/

I like your prediction on the next Speed Concept and really really really hope you are right. I've got a pretty nice stable of pretty fast bikes at this point but I'd gladly plunk down for a Speed Concept with IsoSpeed. That would be a category killer for sure. No reason it can't be done either as the Madone is just a geometry tweak away from being a very fast TT bike.

WTB: TriRig Omega SV (not x). PM me if you have one :)
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
Will 12 speeds be the norm?

For SRAM, yes... and I probably for Campagnolo too.

WTB: TriRig Omega SV (not x). PM me if you have one :)
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I wrote that post and then saw the new disc wheel. Specialized has a thing about making me look stupid.

It will be interesting to see if they roll out new new Roval aero wheels as well. The current Roval 60 was designed for the 22mm tire and they performed very poorly with a 25 in the Bike Radar windtunnel test. There is also the Tesla concept bike with Tri-spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody really needs to do a disc brake tri spoke. HED should rework the H3+ with a disc brake hub (wouldn't be hard). I'm not in favor of disc brake wheels but if you do go that route the benefits of a tri spoke become larger on a relative basis.

WTB: TriRig Omega SV (not x). PM me if you have one :)
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Somebody really needs to do a disc brake tri spoke. HED should rework the H3+ with a disc brake hub (wouldn't be hard). I'm not in favor of disc brake wheels but if you do go that route the benefits of a tri spoke become larger on a relative basis.

Can you explain this benefit? I don't have a wind tunnel mind.

The 2-Spoke folks have the disc brake option so that might be the way forward for those who want the 'new thing' and have deep pockets.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I like your prediction on the next Speed Concept and really really really hope you are right. I've got a pretty nice stable of pretty fast bikes at this point but I'd gladly plunk down for a Speed Concept with IsoSpeed. That would be a category killer for sure. No reason it can't be done either as the Madone is just a geometry tweak away from being a very fast TT bike.

Apparently it's been trialed. Problem is that since IsoSpeed relies on the seat tube as a spring, the steep angles at which triathletes sit don't load it enough. I could see ways around it but it wouldn't make an elegant-looking bike...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing most of the new disc brake tri bikes coming will be slightly tweaked versions of the rim brake versions. The P5-X is just too expensive and too radical to sell well. Other companies will stay with the regular bike frame.

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I wish you better luck with your Specialized prediction. I have thought there would be a new TT bike from them for probably 4-5 years. You would think being the first company to build a wind tunnel would mean there would be some emphasis on TT/Tri bikes, but that hasn't happened! Other than the Venge Vias, they don't really have much aero stuff that stands out in the market. The Shivs are based on a 7-8 year old design. Clothing is nothing spectacular. Helmets are good but not exceptional. I don't get it.

My one prediction will be that Trek adds IsoSpeed to the Speed Concept. Improved comfort for IM distance seems like a huge selling point to me.

The new Evade looks great! I'll get one next season. What's wrong with their clothing?

It takes a long time to develop bikes. Perhaps they were planning on disc brakes and wanted to hold out until the market started to switch.

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKathlete wrote:
P5X doesn't really seem to be selling that well as far as I can see...so will they for down the Beam bike route, or the wheeled suitcase frame - with hidden compartments for everything..?

Anne Hed was on Lance Armstrong’s podcast (last summer I believe) and was talking about the P5x as Hed is making the frames. FWIW she said the sales were good enough that they were a bit backed up production wise

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
I like your prediction on the next Speed Concept and really really really hope you are right. I've got a pretty nice stable of pretty fast bikes at this point but I'd gladly plunk down for a Speed Concept with IsoSpeed. That would be a category killer for sure. No reason it can't be done either as the Madone is just a geometry tweak away from being a very fast TT bike.


Apparently it's been trialed. Problem is that since IsoSpeed relies on the seat tube as a spring, the steep angles at which triathletes sit don't load it enough. I could see ways around it but it wouldn't make an elegant-looking bike...

Ah, that makes sense. Maybe they'll go with the time-tested "soft-tail" approach for the rear of the bike. No reason they couldn't use IsoSpeed for the front of the bike though (like it is implemented in the Domane). I know it hasn't been quantified yet but there is a real benefit, IMO, to having some comfort while riding over rough roads. If I had to do a brick off of a 50 mile ride on a Domane I'd be willing to bet good money that I could run faster than if I had done the same ride on a traditional endurance bike (ceteris paribus).

WTB: TriRig Omega SV (not x). PM me if you have one :)
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Somebody really needs to do a disc brake tri spoke. HED should rework the H3+ with a disc brake hub (wouldn't be hard). I'm not in favor of disc brake wheels but if you do go that route the benefits of a tri spoke become larger on a relative basis.


Can you explain this benefit? I don't have a wind tunnel mind.

The 2-Spoke folks have the disc brake option so that might be the way forward for those who want the 'new thing' and have deep pockets.

SteveMc

Disc brake hubs and the additional spoke count (and lacing pattern) are an aerodynamic disaster. The spoke count bit has actually been pretty well documented at this point but it's rarely mentioned. Zipp, Swisside, and I think Flo have all studied it. This doesn't make it into normal wind tunnel data however as the tunnels don't measure "watts to spin." Going from something like a Jet 6+ to an H3+ (same depth and rim profile) will net you ~2-3watts inside of 10 degrees. If you were going from a 24 spoke Jet 6+ disc to an H3+ disc (hypothetical) I'd wager the difference between the two would be closer to 5 watts. IOW, most of the aero penalty from disc brake wheels comes from the spokes, not the disc itself (my opinion).

WTB: TriRig Omega SV (not x). PM me if you have one :)
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a wicked looking disc, but $2500 is a lot of money for one wheel.

~1000g and a non-flat structure is tempting, but I doubt I would be able to bring myself to put up the $$ with RALTech and Catalyst carbon covers already in my arsenal.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely a Gucci item. I'm guessing one will be spec'd on the next top tier S-Works Shiv. Fingers crossed that they go with the "hybrid" approach where they take a UCI compatible frame and then bolt storage onto it to make it non-UCI for Tri. That would be a sensible approach as it would allow them to retire two moulds at once.

WTB: TriRig Omega SV (not x). PM me if you have one :)
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
Will 12 speeds be the norm?

It's going to take more than an extra cog to convince me I need a new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:
Will 12 speeds be the norm?

It's going to take more than an extra cog to convince me I need a new bike.

I have a 8 year old 10 speed. I figure 20% more gears will be better than 10% more. Of course, does that make a 1 by 12 more feasible?
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:
Will 12 speeds be the norm?

It's going to take more than an extra cog to convince me I need a new bike.

I have a 8 year old 10 speed. I figure 20% more gears will be better than 10% more. Of course, does that make a 1 by 12 more feasible?

Same here, I'm riding bikes that are from 2010-2012 with 10 speed rear cassettes. I'm bad ass enough I don't need any more gears!
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think 12 speed makes 1x road more palatable. 52 x 11-36 12 speed should work for the majority of "enthusiast" cyclists in the majority of scenarios with acceptable steps between gears. You could even do something like 52 x 11-40 if you wanted a "bailout" gear and just keep the steps narrow between the 11 and maybe the 28 for the first ten gears and then two large steps.

WTB: TriRig Omega SV (not x). PM me if you have one :)
Quote Reply
Re: Is it too early to speculate about 2019 bikes..? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:
Will 12 speeds be the norm?

It's going to take more than an extra cog to convince me I need a new bike.

I have a 8 year old 10 speed. I figure 20% more gears will be better than 10% more. Of course, does that make a 1 by 12 more feasible?

Same here, I'm riding bikes that are from 2010-2012 with 10 speed rear cassettes. I'm bad ass enough I don't need any more gears!

I used to be bad ass but now I'm old, tired and grasping for straws!
Quote Reply

Prev Next