Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
I gave you a chance, right from the start, not to do it! But did you take it??? No... this time will be different, you said... this time I will have my question answered, you said... and now we're on page 6 of the bleeping thread, and there are still people posting the million bleeping reasons why they do/don't flip-turn... and why? WHY?! All because of YOU!!!

Naahhh, this thread has been great. I'm on my fourth bag of popcorn. I need to go grab another large soda, though.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start with a somersault without the wall. When you got that.. then try the wall.
Blow air out your nose.

http://www.ehow.com/...p-turn-swimming.html
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [FastandFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm working with this set of drills, actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFQpLyihI5M

My unofficial coach (a guy from masters swimming) says it's looking decent so far. Still feel like I'm gonna puke, but that might also owe a little to the freestyle sets I was doing.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [ToKnowMore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not see anyone mention it, but I would bet there are a fair amount of swimmers, maybe not triathletes, who have bad enough backs that they should not be doing flip turns. I know I have been told by doctors to do no forward bending and no flip turns. To quote my doctor "there are no bonus points for being able to touch your toes" My chiropractor who was a swimmer and new i did Tri also said to not do flip turns with my back. But for most people I could see how flip turns would be beneficial. For some of us older damaged bodies, it might be a bad idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
Quote:

"Darth Vader had responsibilities. He had to build the Death Star"
OH GIMME A BREAK...Darth Vader did NOT have to build the death star...he just had to get them back on schedule. The death star was emperor palpatine's aka (darth sidious) plan. Darth Vader was emporer palpatine's bitch until the end!!!

Won't someone please think of all those poor independent contractors that got blown up!?

"You think your average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main?"

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
I did not see anyone mention it, but I would bet there are a fair amount of swimmers, maybe not triathletes, who have bad enough backs that they should not be doing flip turns. I know I have been told by doctors to do no forward bending and no flip turns. To quote my doctor "there are no bonus points for being able to touch your toes" My chiropractor who was a swimmer and new i did Tri also said to not do flip turns with my back. But for most people I could see how flip turns would be beneficial. For some of us older damaged bodies, it might be a bad idea.

My coach has suggested the same due to my lower back issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [ToKnowMore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's a flip turn ? do you do it at the end or in the middle?

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Paulo Sousa wrote:
I gave you a chance, right from the start, not to do it! But did you take it??? No... this time will be different, you said... this time I will have my question answered, you said... and now we're on page 6 of the bleeping thread, and there are still people posting the million bleeping reasons why they do/don't flip-turn... and why? WHY?! All because of YOU!!!

Naahhh, this thread has been great. I'm on my fourth bag of popcorn. I need to go grab another large soda, though.

And I don't charge for entertainment.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it better not to do flip turns? [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xraycharlie wrote:
FastandFun wrote:

Most people are f*cking lazy and thinking learning to flip-turn is some incredibly difficult skill. It's not. It takes 10min to learn. Then about a week or two to get comfortable. Then... a skill for life.

I'll have you know that I spent at least twenty minutes on it today (probably more), and still haven't got it. I did get a bunch of water up my nose, I'm dizzy, and I feel like I'm gonna puke.

This BETTER be building some motherf***ing character.

x2. I admit I'm extremely uncoordinated, but I've been working on and off on a flip turn for about a year now. I try and try (watched all the helpful YouTube videos, did a private lesson), but I get water up my nose so I give up. Yes, I breathe out through my nose throughout the turn, but I still get water in my nose and my eyes sting. Just bought nose clips last week. But that still won't stop me from being unable to do Step #1: somersault and stand up straight at end. I *always* end up slightly lopsided and don't know why. My 10 minutes is lasting a long time. Sigh.

Not to mention it's embarrassing having the lifeguard and other swimmers watch me flounder around all lopsided looking like an idiot. I can "do" a flip turn, but even after so much practice, I'm still terrible at it.

I won't give up because I have no doubt that mastering the flip turn will help my swim in many ways.
Quote Reply

Prev Next