Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is it a bad idea to do Savageman 80.0 twelve days before Maryland 140.6? [SankaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SankaCoffee wrote:
I tried to present that in a way to make it look very unimpressive

Haha! Actually you could go one better and point out that I coasted for 70 free miles.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Is it a bad idea to do Savageman 80.0 twelve days before Maryland 140.6? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke my foot at SavageMan last year, it could have happened at any race, it was just bad luck and kept me from running a race I wanted to run in October. It sucked but would have sucked more if I had to DNS my first Iron because of it. I will be racing 50-54 at IMMD this year so if you are in my age group forget what I just wrote and race away!
Quote Reply
Re: Is it a bad idea to do Savageman 80.0 twelve days before Maryland 140.6? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell Yes !

Throw down hard. Do epic shit.

Should be everyone's motto.

If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what
Quote Reply
Re: Is it a bad idea to do Savageman 80.0 twelve days before Maryland 140.6? [dwreal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The crazy ass just texted me....He just signed up for Savageman!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Is it a bad idea to do Savageman 80.0 twelve days before Maryland 140.6? [SankaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SankaCoffee wrote:
Well Sir, I am no longer impressed with this thread. When you climb Everest - please post again. 29,000 ft divided by 140 miles is only 200 feet of elevation per mile. Unimpressed (I tried to present that in a way to make it look very unimpressive even though holy sh*t - I would die - well done)

Well, true, but in reality that means 29,000 feet in 70 uphill miles, or 400 feet gain per climbing mile for 70 miles. 70 miles of 8% grade. Ouch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of depends how you taper I suppose. Lots of folks taper for a race and then peak after the race rather than during the race. They actually feel flat race day. Racing Savageman 12 days early might help you peak properly for IMMD if you don't crush yourself at Savageman.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it a bad idea to do Savageman 80.0 twelve days before Maryland 140.6? [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the advice everyone. It opened my eyes to a lot more factors than I initially discovered on my own. I took all the downsides, upsides, personal knowledge of my own history and decided to do it and have fun. My wife is actually excited too. She had to miss it last year because our youngest child was too young. We are going to have a mini vacation and this year the kids are now old enough to stay at their grandparent's house so my wife and I can enjoy the weekend.

kny, your math was spot on. for people more interested in my Everest expedition and oxygen tank consumption, here is the strava data https://www.strava.com/activities/1209510479
I hope to see you there with the stomp rockets again, that was too cool.

and see you there, josh!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Is it a bad idea to do Savageman 80.0 twelve days before Maryland 140.6? [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
joshjan wrote:
You never know if you'll get to do Savage again, which is why I keep going back.

Josh

This is such a good point. Every year I worry that it will be the last. Do it when you can. Of course, I would not be shocked if IMMD went away as well though there are alternatives to IMMD. There are no true alternatives to Savageman, at least not in the US.

I do think this is a legitimate concern.

A few other points of consideration:
  • This is the first ever running of the new SavageMan 80. Just like with the very first SavageMan 70 back in 2007, no one really knows what to expect. There isn't even a strava segment yet for the Aarons Run ascent of Big Savage Mountain; that's how unknown elements of this new course are. There will be definitely bragging rights for being the first to do this crazy new 80. Not to mention, real risk that this event is one and done, so do it now or do it never.
  • It's the hilly 13.1 mile run that will impact your IMMD, not the bike so much (says I from my couch). Do the aquavelo if truly concerned about being at 100% perfect taper for IMMD.
  • I would wager the 67 mile SavageMan 80 bike is actually easier to keep at desired power than the old SavageMan 70 bike. The new course is essentially 4 very hard and extended Cat 1/2 climbs - but long climbs that you can set your power at and keep it there, IM style. The old bike was one very hard, extended Cat 1 climb, and then numerous shortish, insanely steep Killer Miller type climbs that you had no choice but to go over your power threshold on or fall over from lack of momentum. So, I'd say the new course is more conducive to "training day" effort than the old one. But, I don't know. I could be wrong. The new 80 bike course is crazy nuts.
  • In the long run SavageMan 80 will be more memorable to you than IMMD. Less glamorous maybe and a far smaller crowd at finish line, but pretty sure when you look back in 2023 at your accomplishments in 2018, that you'll have more vivid memories of SavageMan.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are a Male and 60-64 years old it's a wonderful plan!

Mike
Quote Reply

Prev Next