Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is gatorade hazardous to your health?
Quote | Reply
Gatorade contains brominated vegetable oil. Who knew?

http://finance.yahoo.com/...-look-032224835.html

http://www.fuelforendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [jmayo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that just the bottled stuff, or the powder too?

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oil would certainly make the powder awfully messy.

But really it is just an oil used to keep the premixed stuff from separating out. It really isn't needed, but then you would have to shake your gatorade more often.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:

But really it is just an oil used to keep the premixed stuff from separating out. It really isn't needed, but then you would have to shake your gatorade more often.

My life is already far too complicated. Having to shake my gatorade would put me over the edge.
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oddly, the powder is the only type that shows an ingredient list on the Gatorade website: sucrose, dextrose, citric acid, natural and artificial flavor, salt, sodium, citrate [ed. these two supposed to be a single item - sodium citrate? All kinds of typos in that website, actually...], monopotassium phosphate, calcium silicate, modified food starch, yellow 5 (or some combination of that, red 40, caramel color, and/or yellow 6).

Vegans tend to look askance at "natural and artificial flavor," since it often hides all manner of animal bits (brand name ketchups are often called out for hiding beef by-products in this way), but no bromines or oils specifically listed.

On a side note, does this mean we should avoid bromine swimming pools or just avoid drinking from them?

EDIT: Oddly, even Gatorade Natural doesn't list ingredients...and you'd really think they'd want to if they're taking that marketing tactic...
Last edited by: Koz: Dec 13, 12 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the article:
Brominated vegetable oil contains bromine, the element found in brominated flame retardants, used in things like upholstered furniture and children’s products. Research has found brominate flame retardants building up in the body and breast milk, and animal and some human studies have linked them to neurological impairment, reduced fertility, changes in thyroid hormones and puberty at an earlier age.

Good thing I switched to POWERADE a long time ago!

http://www.fuelforendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pre-mixed gatorade drinks have completely different ingredient lists than the powdered mix. For one thing, they use high-fructose corn syrup in the liquids as well as brominated oil.

The powdered mix is based on the older original formula.

Personally I don't drink either version as they are just too sticky and sweet. Prefer just drinking electrolyte mixes like Zym or Nuun and supplementing with gels or cliff bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're kidding right PA contains it also.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You did read the article right. It even says Powerade uses the stuff.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While it is probably best to limit your bromine intake, I wouldn't be too worried about casual ingestion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brominated_vegetable_oil

I do like the 2 reported cases of problems though, under health effects.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
tkos wrote:

My life is already far too complicated. Having to shake my gatorade would put me over the edge.

I just spit my gatorade all over my monitor! LMAO
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
tkos wrote:

I just spit my gatorade all over my monitor! LMAO

And now your monitor is brominated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Wikipedia:

" In one case, a man who drank eight liters of Ruby-Red Squirt daily had a reaction that caused his skin color to turn red and produced lesions diagnosed as bromoderma"

Holy crap.... that was one dedicated man.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
The pre-mixed gatorade drinks have completely different ingredient lists than the powdered mix. For one thing, they use high-fructose corn syrup in the liquids

I believe HFCS was eliminated a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brominated vegetable oil contains bromine, the element found in brominated flame retardants, used in things like upholstered furniture and children’s products. Research has found brominate flame retardants building up in the body and breast milk, and animal and some human studies have linked them to neurological impairment, reduced fertility, changes in thyroid hormones and puberty at an earlier age.

Good thing I switched to POWERADE a long time ago

On the bright side there is a link between bromine and a decrease risk of spontaneous combustion.
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NormM wrote:

Good thing I switched to POWERADE a long time ago

On the bright side there is a link between bromine and a decrease risk of spontaneous combustion.

I know you are being tongue-in-cheek, but that paragraph you quoted is just a red herring and a horribly irresponsible thing for the authors to say. This is akin to saying: table salt contains chlorine, the element used as a chemical agent in WW-I and found in household bleach. In both cases, the halogen-atom contain compound in question (e.g. BVO and NaCl) are completely different from the red herrings (flame retardant for the former, Cl2 and bleach for the latter).

Just remember, most orange sodas have this stuff, and so does Squirt and Fresca. Nothing wrong with avoiding it (I gave up Fanta and Fresca), but that red herring is unnecessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep it was a tongue-in-cheek reply to jmayo's post. I agree with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
but then you would have to shake your gatorade more often.

But then you would need another Gatorade to replace all the calories and electrolytes you lost shaking the bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, dont go bringing facts into a good ol hysteria thread!

If more people learned basic skeptical thinking or even a little chemistry we would all be far better off.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" the halogen-atom contain compound in question (e.g. BVO and NaCl) are completely different from the red herrings (flame retardant for the former"

it's still bromine, though.. most science thinks it's probably not good for you..

http://www.scientificamerican.com/...loudy-health-history
"In 1970, scientists in England found that rats on a six-week diet containing 0.8 percent brominated maize oil had stockpiles of bromine in their fat tissue. The bromine stayed there even after the rats returned to a control diet for two weeks.
Around the same time, a study confirmed that bromine was building up in humans. Researchers measured the serum levels of people in the United Kingdom—where BVO was in use—and in their counterparts in the Netherlands and Germany, where BVO was not used. The largest amounts of lipid-bound bromine were found in tissues from children in the UK, according to the study."

There are plenty of other studies cited in that link.

The FDA hasn't looked at BVO in a couple of decades. Its 'generally accepted safe' designation was based on short-term studies only, and those done in the 60s.

Since then Europe has banned the BVO additives and replaced them with safer alternatives. Here in the land of the profit margin, it's too expensive say the manufacturers. so it goes..
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water is a flame retardant
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [franktheguard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
franktheguard wrote:

Its also incredibly deadly!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes people have killed themselves with it in the course of a marathon....... fast acting poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Is gatorade hazardous to your health? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
franktheguard wrote:

Its also incredibly deadly!

;-)

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore: