Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is anyone plan on traveling out of their home country to race?
Quote | Reply
Wondering if anyone is planning on travelling out of their home country to race this year.

I am Canadian and signed up for the Traverse City 70.3 in August. If it is not cancelled I am unsure if I can possibly make it. Assuming the borders are open in August it is likely that you would be expected to self isolate when returning. A 14 day quarantine after returning is not an option for me. A quarantine entering the stares would be a absolute no go. Who could afford to sit around in a hotel room waiting to race? The other problem is that it is how likely is it that I could obtain the insurance I would need to travel to the States. On top of everything else my husband is immune compromised and he has a strong opinion about me travelling.

I want to race and the thought of losing an entry is sickening. Any chance that Ironman would allow a deferral in these circumstances. I am betting no but if anyone has any insight or suggestions I would appreciate the input.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone plan on traveling out of their home country to race? [Longrunhome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't travel with quarantines. 14 days on each side is ridiculous to carry on with life. Its going to go away in due course as the world can't function with 28 days total just to move people, its just a question of when (I imagine next year). Once these quarantines are over, I'll travel wherever, vaccine or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone plan on traveling out of their home country to race? [Longrunhome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m signed up for the 70.3 in Salalah, Oman, in Sept. If the borders are open between Dubai and Oman, and there’s no 14-day quarantine on arrival, I’ll fly over and do the race.* If I have to spend 14 days working from home when I get back, that’s ok.

*assuming the pools reopen soon to allow for swim training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not racing but I'm still doing my France bike tour in August

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone plan on traveling out of their home country to race? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:

Do you live in Europe? Cuz I have not heard any indication that flights to/from North America are set to resume.
I am supposed to fly to Paris on July 26 and am pretty sure it's going to be cancelled.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone plan on traveling out of their home country to race? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

Do you live in Europe? Cuz I have not heard any indication that flights to/from North America are set to resume.
I am supposed to fly to Paris on July 26 and am pretty sure it's going to be cancelled.

Yea it's tentative for sure. Original trip was Swiss/Italy for the first week in July. As of now United is scheduled mid August

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the U.S. My race is IM Estonia. They've moved it back from August to Sept. It's currently still on. If it's on and there is no 14-days quarantine, I plan on doing the race. I like to believe that if there is a 14-days quarantine in place that they will cancel the race. They already announced that if they were to cancel the race, we would be allowed to defer to next year for free.

In the U.S, some Ironman branded races that have been cancelled have allowed folks to defer to the following year for the same race or choose a different race. Choosing a different race wasn't an option for IM Estonia.

Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

There are still flights going all over the world. There are plenty of people that need to travel for one reason or another, the only issue is being allowed to travel. If you happen to be a dual citizen or have permanent residency you can leave right now if you want. I'm an Australian citizen but also have US PR so will be doing IM Arizona as long as it takes place, unless there is a 14 day quarantine. Though as I understand only a few states make you quarantine.

If the race is on, and the borders are open, just do the race. Fuck the quarantine, not like they are gonna check up on you. Besides, this whole pandemic is bullshit anyway.

In Australia the police were doing lots of checks on this and giving big fines to people breaking quarantine. It is definitely not worth a potentially big fine and spreading COIVD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still training for a 70.3 in Kazakhstan on Aug 23rd. If it happens, i am going.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canada is enforcing the quarantine. I just finished my quarantine after travelling from the US. We got several phone calls and a visit from the RCMP. Potentially big fines if we were not here when the RCMP came. The US had no system in place to enforce the quarantine.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Cozumel in late November - everything booked with the option to cancel or postpone if necessary. Travelling from the UK.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone plan on traveling out of their home country to race? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:

Where are you flying into and where from. I assume there will be a quarantine on the Europe side. If none (I would be flying from Canada), I'd be happy to put up with the quarantine on the Canadian return if I could ride for 2 weeks in France and also be there around the time of the Tour de France in early Sept.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone plan on traveling out of their home country to race? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geneva. Will be hitting a few TdF stages

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a good spot to fly into (good arrival location if you are going to Hautes Alpes)....just be careful of all the traffic speed cams if you are leaving in a rental car!!! There is also some good riding literally from Geneva airport to the Jura range. The Col de Faucille is a nice climb to 1300m. According to my facebook I was there 4 years ago today. I literally arrived in Geneva, unpacked my bike and went up the Faucille. I rode for 2 more days in the Geneva area and when a buddy arrived 48 hrs later we went to Bourg d'Oisins.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once spent 3 months in Annecy. Flew into Geneva and picked up a rental car on the French side of the airport (Geneva airport may be the only airport with two countries for arrivals). The car rental was much cheaper in France than in Switzerland.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone plan on traveling out of their home country to race? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't wait for this trip!

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know what the quarantine rules are in France....you're getting me excited (dammit I just need some excitement).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having said that, I think I will start with when New York state allows Canadians in and just park myself in Lake Placid for a long weekend bike camp. Whiteface mountain has the same stats as Alpe d'Huez and there is endless swimming in Mirror Lake....so I have my eyes on that as my first our of country excursion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know next to nothing about the details of the trip, i just booked the flight! :D
My friend is taking care of the rest, sag rental van, hotels, all that jazz.

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Having said that, I think I will start with when New York state allows Canadians in and just park myself in Lake Placid for a long weekend bike camp. Whiteface mountain has the same stats as Alpe d'Huez and there is endless swimming in Mirror Lake....so I have my eyes on that as my first our of country excursion
Come on Dev,there are lots of places in eastern Canada you could go for an awesome cycling camp.Spend some money locally and help out the Ontario or Quebec tourist industry.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone plan on traveling out of their home country to race? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but Lake Placid has Whiteface Mountain...same stats as Alpe d'Huez (and all those rides that none of the Mdot crowd do off the IMLP course).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Id love to do Powerman Lichtenstein October 18 but Im waiting until closer to the date to make sure travel etc....is allowed.
Quote Reply