Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is anyone doing real triathlons lately?
Quote | Reply
I was finally able to do a real triathlon this year. It's been forever...and/or ten months.

I wouldn't have done this race normally since it was very hilly terrain...about 1800 ft elevation gain over the 24 miles on the bike. The run was the same route as the bike course. It was great to race and dust off the cobwebs, even though I've done a few unofficial races this past summer.

Here in AZ things are opening up. The IMAZ 70.3 is even happening tomorrow, which I'm shocked at, but wish I could sign up.

Has anyone else been able to have an official race?

Here's a video of my race, it was the Castle Creek Olympic Triathlon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOn5p83xw14
Last edited by: brunes83: Oct 17, 20 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone doing real triathlons lately? [brunes83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if it were a possibility, triathlon season would have been over a month ago out here.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done two in Florida so far. Signed up for #3 next week and #4 mid Nov. If you were aggressive you could easily get up to 10 from Jul to Dec down here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it’s been great to get back to local racing. Local tris have been going on in Florida since July. I did one a couple of weeks ago. Another one in a week. Seriously thinking about Challenge Daytona coming up.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone doing real triathlons lately? [Trizebbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unofficial races count as real triathlons too. if there is a set course all participants followed it is real. cause we have all this virtual crap out there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Negative. All postponed. I've done one gravel race. There was another gravel race today but I just assumed it was postponed so never checked on it. Lost that register money, but wasn't expensive. Sucks though. Would have loved to get out.

Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
unofficial races count as real triathlons too. if there is a set course all participants followed it is real. cause we have all this virtual crap out there

I just did a custom Tri today. 42km ride on a hilly 40 vertical course plus 10km run then 5300m swim.

Generally trying to race myself 1x per week keeping distanced and isolated from others being a good boy and following govt recommendations on not interacting with people outside my household.

I am fine waiting till next year. I should end up with my max training year in the last 10 years . It is barely mid Oct and I ahve surpassed annual totals from most years with no formal races to go to
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 17, 20 20:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 USAT over the last 4 weeks. Might register for another next weekend, depends on price.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone doing real triathlons lately? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3D has a gravel race in Holly on November 1. I’m racing a half marathon the day before, otherwise I’d do it.

In Michigan the (brief) season ended in September. Indiana went later, into the first weekend of October.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone doing real triathlons lately? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know if the Daytona race is happening...that one looks super cool. Maybe I'll head out there next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone doing real triathlons lately? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I just did a custom Tei today. 42km ride on a hilly 40 vertical course plus 10km run then 5300m swim.

Generally trying to race myself 1x per week keeping distanced and isolated from others being a good boy and following govt recommendations on not interacting with people outside my household.

I am fine waiting till next year. I should end up with my max training year in the last 10 years . It is barely mid Oct and I ahve surpassed annual totals from most years with no formal races to go to

I have done a lot of training this year as well. However, I was in a mental funk for a good month during the summer because it's tough to train when there's no way to figure out if you're progressing (i.e., races).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As of today, yes. And with a huge pro prize purse from the PTO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. We’ve had two in the UAE so far this season and the third is coming up next week. Nice to be out racing again.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone doing real triathlons lately? [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like 70.3 Dubai will happen this Feb?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, no indications one way or the other. The covid-related restrictions are cumbersome but fairly easy to implement for a 3-400 person local race. Not sure how hard it would be to scale them up to 1000 or more people. We’re all hoping it’ll happen, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to backwards....if you trained today you progressed more than sitting on the couch. The way to measure is time in the pool, on the bike, on the run vs time on couch. Races, to some degree are meaningless. They are an artificial construct to get us together so we can push harder, but as this is an individual sport, you don't actually need races to know if you are improving (although they can certain help). If you were playing soccer or football or any team sport, you need a formal competition. Don't be the guy getting duped into feeling like you need races to go and exercise. You can just go exercise for the sake of it, without some outside organization deciding for you how to direct your energy. If we can do this sport with other people, bonus, but not required.

Think about the people in the 60's, 70's and early 80's who just went out and ran, biked and swam for exercise before this sport was around or when it just started. They just did it. Before I was a triathlete, I was already 'doing triathlon' on any given day. Get up early for run number one and lift weights, Track practice after school, then dinner than bike to soccer or baseball games, then bike home. When I had no game nights or practice nights, it was weights and cooling down in the pool as the weight room was at the local swim club. In any case that was 1880-1983 and I was on the 3x per day training program just because (or probably because I did not want to study). It's roughly the same now....2x per day minimum, some days 3x.

If we can race, bonus, if not, just get out and train! Stop letting outside organizations dictate your life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brunes83 wrote:
I was finally able to do a real triathlon this year. It's been forever...and/or ten months.

I wouldn't have done this race normally since it was very hilly terrain...about 1800 ft elevation gain over the 24 miles on the bike. The run was the same route as the bike course. It was great to race and dust off the cobwebs, even though I've done a few unofficial races this past summer.

Here in AZ things are opening up. The IMAZ 70.3 is even happening tomorrow, which I'm shocked at, but wish I could sign up.

Has anyone else been able to have an official race?

Here's a video of my race, it was the Castle Creek Olympic Triathlon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOn5p83xw14

Busso 70.3 yesterday. Great race, great atmosphere, postponed from May but the local West Australians really got behind it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brunes83 wrote:
Do you know if the Daytona race is happening...that one looks super cool. Maybe I'll head out there next year.

Daytona is virtually certain to go ahead (barring some unforeseen weather issue). Challenge have guaranteed that they will refund entry fees if it gets cancelled. The Florida governor even weighed in months ago to say it would happen (not sure why because he's definitely not a triathlete). There have been multiple smaller races going on in Florida and I think counties and cities are becoming increasingly comfortable with issuing permits. My understanding is that the speedway is private property and thus not subject to any permitting issues anyway. The AG 70.3 course will use county roads for some of the race but I don't see that being a permitting problem even if there is a huge spike in Covid cases. The Pro race is entirely within the speedway with multiple laps to make up the bike course which is pretty cool. While I'm used to tris that take place at the beach, I'm intrigued by the whole concept and most likely will do the sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone doing real triathlons lately? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may have to check out that race in Holly. I've given up looking. Still meeting a bunch in TC for Iceman unofficial ride Nov. 7

Quote | Reply
I am planning to race Daytona, not only is it going to be the only organized HIM to get off the ground in 2020, its a super cool venue and on my Birthday!

I dont know why there isnt more hype about it on this site? Especially with the Friday pro race and a million dollar purse. This race has all the props to be a really cool event. Plus they have a money back guarantee the race is going to get off the ground.

I did manage to get one local Y-tri sprint in this year, it was fun and nice to get a race in. I am really looking forward to Daytona.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone doing real triathlons lately? [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is an entire thread about Daytona and the Wild Cards. Also, Ironman Arizona 70.3 is in process right now.

See you at Daytona 70.3.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone doing real triathlons lately? [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
I am planning to race Daytona, not only is it going to be the only organized HIM to get off the ground in 2020, its a super cool venue and on my Birthday.
For your birthday I suggest you get an internet upgrade so you are able to see what has been happening in the rest if the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone doing real triathlons lately? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
mlyonsdc wrote:
I am planning to race Daytona, not only is it going to be the only organized HIM to get off the ground in 2020, its a super cool venue and on my Birthday.

For your birthday I suggest you get an internet upgrade so you are able to see what has been happening in the rest if the world.

He said "world" not another planet. Last time I checked the World Series only has USA teams and a couple of times they let in a random alien team from Canada. What is going in in Oz and NZ that is another planetary system not to be confused with the real world. This thing called the internet, does it give coverage of these other planets and galaxies where racing is going on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol you guys are tough, I was referring to the US and I guess Canada to eh. While visiting Thailand is on my bucket list I was not planning to make any races there anytime soon.

That is great they are racing IMAZ I didn't realize it wasn't canceled. Is that the first IM 70.3 in US this season? I was hoping they would get IMNC off the ground but that was canceled too.

I dont get on here as much as before. I just check in now and then to see what the latest is and have been looking for a thread on Daytona and obviously missed it. My last HIM was IMLP in 2017 and I took some time away in 2018 due to personal reasons. I started training again in fall 2019 for a spring race which obviously never happened.

Hope to see a good turnout for Daytona should be a fun race, I will be in the M50-54 AG but no worries I am not that fast lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2020 season ->
Zero races
+1 baby
+10 lbs

that's it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next