Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is an all carbon frame the only way to go for ironman distance?
Quote | Reply
I am going to sign up for IM Florida in a couple of weeks; my first. I have an '06 Felt B2 with front/rear carbon forks, carbon seat posts & carbon aerobars; Dura-Ace components. Would the investment in an all carbon frame equate to appreciable energy conservation for the run? Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Is an all carbon frame the only way to go for ironman distance? [shushu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes. iron distance races were impossible before the advent of carbon frames.
Quote Reply
Re: Is an all carbon frame the only way to go for ironman distance? [shushu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Get nicer tyres or run slightly lower pressure if you're worried about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course. If it's not carbon, it's crap.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unless everything on your bike is 100% carbon, why even bother. you cannot have success at IM without carbon - everyone knows this. also, you must have an aero helmet as well - preferably carbon -- of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Is an all carbon frame the only way to go for ironman distance? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean my "run slightly lower pressure"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would invest in a good set of Zipp race wheels before getting a new frame. Plenty of Ironman people around here who did not use a carbon frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Is an all carbon frame the only way to go for ironman distance? [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Zipp 404s...good enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea how I've gotten through the bike segment on my titanium ride;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are in the FOP, then maybe get a Zipp disc or a 1080 for the rear and for sure get an aero helmet. Other than that, your equipment is fine, just concentrate on the engine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What do you mean my "run slightly lower pressure"?

a couple of psi less in the tyres will more than cover frame differences,
Quote Reply
Re: Is an all carbon frame the only way to go for ironman distance? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh, I never thought about that, but wouldn't I be working a little harder? Thnx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished IM Moo last month on an all-aluminum Soloist. I can say with 100% certainty that my bike frame was not the limiting factor in my performance.

That help?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily. If you have a more comfortable ride, you might be able to go faster late in the race.

In any case, tyres, saddle, elbow pads, and shoe inserts make a much bigger difference to ride comfort than frame material.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Is an all carbon frame the only way to go for ironman distance? [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would invest in a good set of Zipp race wheels before getting a new frame. Plenty of Ironman people around here who did not use a carbon frame.

or zipp wheels, for that matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Is an all carbon frame the only way to go for ironman distance? [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yes. iron distance races were impossible before the advent of carbon frames.
LOL! Don't forget the aerohelmet. not ANY aerohelmet but GIRO ADVANTAGE is a must too.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Re: Is an all carbon frame the only way to go for ironman distance? [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing Florida this year.

What is carbon? Should I be worried?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please read the Average Income at Kona thread. Then go straight to www.bikesportmichigan.com.

Just kidding. You'll be fine on that. Worry about your wetsuit fit before you bike frame material.

Good luck with the training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take a titanflex over all carbon everyday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< I have an '06 Felt B2 with front/rear carbon forks, carbon seat posts & carbon aerobars >>

That bike is a POS. You should give it to me, and buy yourself a proper CF steed.
You will never finish an IM on a bike like that, much less race well.
IF you even make it off the bike, you will deathmarch shuffle for 8 hrs, for sure.

(I have an '05 Felt B2 w/ Ultegra and alloy aerobars. It doesn't seem to hurt my results any.)

If you WANT to buy a new bike, have at it. Free country, keep the economy strong, all that good stuff.
Do you NEED a new bike? I think you can figger out my opinion on that.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is pretty funny - I figured you'd get pretty beat up with this thread, but my Cervelo Soloist Carbon is FAR stiffer and "beats me up" more than my old Aluminum Guru. Carbon is neither "stiff" nor "dampening" or noodly - it completely depends upon how the lay up goes (and most are pretty darn stiff).

Actually, if you want to completely generalize some, a good Ti frame will be the most comfortable for a long 112 mile stint.

Re: Is an all carbon frame the only way to go for ironman distance? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With regards to "Murphy's Law"...I get your point. Very original...

Rrrrrroooofff! It's interesting the hazing the "first time blogger" endures to "learn the ropes"; however, I do appreciate YOUR response. I think I'll stick with my equipment except for a few minor upgrades unless I have a windfall of money!

Not so sure about the aero helmet though...it might not complement with my bone structure.... ha-ha-ha!

Thanks everyone! Y'all are great!
Quote Reply