Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is a Brick a Brick?
Quote | Reply
The term 'brick workout' seems to usually refer to the bike/ run combo. Is that because it is easier in general jump from bike to run vs swim to bike?

One of my favorite aspects of triathlon, when I have the time to do so, is pulling off the swim/bike/run over the course of a day. Swim at 10 am, bike at 2pm and run at 4pm or something like that. I rarely jump straight from bike to run it seems. I like to run and then spin the legs out on bike. It feels way better with low impact but is it counter productive in the long run?

And a lot of the time I can spit out a hard 30 min run after work but have to wait until 9pm to jump on Zwift anyway after the kids are in bed.

How often you guys hit the triple header in a week? It seems like in reality you should be doing all three in a row all the time...?

Yesterday I swam 30 min (1600) then ran a steady 15 mile all in Z2 with 20 min 5k tacked on the end. Then 2 hour Zwift all at 2 w/kg with hard effort (4w/kg) on the last 5 switchbacks of ADZ. Told my self today was a rest day but now I'm jonesing... I might be an addict.

Oh and I thought of a hack some of you might be interested in ;)
True or False? If you work out late at night it is better because you can go to sleep right away and recover better. Vs working out in am and then have to be on feet all day.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Brick a Brick? [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did all three once during my build for Augusta last year. It wasn’t planned, I just ended up having some spare time in the evening and was able to bike and run after a swim earlier in the afternoon. I generally only do a few bike/run bricks as it is just to get a feel of not running too fast off the bike. These are usually short runs...maybe 20-25 minutes after a 2-3hr bike.

With the swim to bike transition you are working such different muscle groups that I don’t see the need to practice it that much. I guess you could argue it could be beneficial to get an idea of how your heart rate will be coming out of the swim and how soon on the bike you can handle your nutrition.

As far as working out at night, I don’t know about that. I sometimes have a hard time winding down after a good workout so I end up staying up later than I intended which can adversely impact recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Brick a Brick? [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
The term 'brick workout' seems to usually refer to the bike/ run combo. Is that because it is easier in general jump from bike to run vs swim to bike?

One of my favorite aspects of triathlon, when I have the time to do so, is pulling off the swim/bike/run over the course of a day. Swim at 10 am, bike at 2pm and run at 4pm or something like that. I rarely jump straight from bike to run it seems. I like to run and then spin the legs out on bike. It feels way better with low impact but is it counter productive in the long run?

And a lot of the time I can spit out a hard 30 min run after work but have to wait until 9pm to jump on Zwift anyway after the kids are in bed.

How often you guys hit the triple header in a week? It seems like in reality you should be doing all three in a row all the time...?

Yesterday I swam 30 min (1600) then ran a steady 15 mile all in Z2 with 20 min 5k tacked on the end. Then 2 hour Zwift all at 2 w/kg with hard effort (4w/kg) on the last 5 switchbacks of ADZ. Told my self today was a rest day but now I'm jonesing... I might be an addict.

Oh and I thought of a hack some of you might be interested in ;)
True or False? If you work out late at night it is better because you can go to sleep right away and recover better. Vs working out in am and then have to be on feet all day.

Easier bike to run? If done right.. not at all. Make transition at least under a minute and don't jog..
Quote Reply