Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Zwift any fun on a handcycle?
Quote | Reply
The subject pretty much captures the question. A friend is asking me for advice on getting through the winter. I'd worry that because power outputs are so much lower for handcyclists, that it would be annoying and dispiriting, but having never done it what do I know?

Any experience out there, even second hand?

Cheers!

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: Is Zwift any fun on a handcycle? [Munq E. Wrench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I follow a hand cyclist on Zwift, he sure seems to enjoy it based on the amount of races and rides he logs.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Zwift any fun on a handcycle? [swimbikerun66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimbikerun66 wrote:
I follow a hand cyclist on Zwift, he sure seems to enjoy it based on the amount of races and rides he logs.

Not sure if you can answer for this cyclist, but how do you mount a handcycle on a kickr? Does it have to be hung upside down because the drivetrain is reversed compared to my road bike?

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I passed by one on Zwift last night near the volcano circuit. They were on a TT bike chugging along. Their username had "hand cycle" in it.

I wanted to toss out kudos but my phone/app wasn't handy at the time.

I don't see why not. The power might be a bit lower, but to account for the recumbent aero advantage of a hand cycle I would be perfectly OK with one inserting a lower height/weight for Zwift to make it more realistic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might have to have Zwift read power from a crank-based PM. I'm pretty sure that SRM could make one (Zanardi's handcycle has one).

The front wheel then goes on a roller set-up (the mini ones from Feedback sports would work well here), and rear wheels get elevated to about the height of the front wheel.

Last edited by: echappist: Dec 8, 20 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's easiest to use a wheel-on trainer like the KICKR Snap. Then it's just a matter of how low you want to set the rider weight to get a reasonable speed/experience on Zwift.

You can even go really low end and use a fluid trainer and a wheel speed sensor, but no feedback though (Fuego Flats and AdZ feel the same, you just go slower on the Alpe).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few hand cyclists on Zwift. There is one from Australia that I follow on Instagram. He has a few pictures on his Instagram account of his Zwift setup. His handle is @alexwelsh91.

Stephan
Quote Reply
Re: Is Zwift any fun on a handcycle? [StephanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden with a few hand cyclist on Zwift, what amazed me was how they had worked out speech to text so they could chat while riding!
Quote Reply