Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Triathlon Still Sexy?
Quote | Reply
I think the title pretty much sums up my question. In my current state of pondering my navel, the universe, and all things random, I started to wonder, is Triathlon still sexy?

My self argument went as follows:

-What is sexy, volleyball and tennis are loseing it. They're so commercialized as being sexy, they seem to have lost their innocence that made them that way in the first place.

+ I respnded to this by thinking, yes, well triathlon isn't their yet maybe it will stop.

-Common, really? Ironman, ITU, even USAT are on a continuing trail down the corporate money market. The more they conform to what sponsorers want the more money they get. The money then seems to get spent promoting the sport to be more pleasing to the sponsorers eye.

+ Maybe, but do I know that for sure? Maybe I'm just missing the bigger picture.

-Okay, different angle. If triathlon is sexy, than why are the majority of the athletes running around in speedos over age forty (almost always considered past their prime in our society.)

+ Maybe what makes triathlon sexy is the fact that people of that age can stay fit, and can run around in speedos.

-Yes, but if that were the case, wouldn't there be many more younger people joining triathlon? Are there?

+ I don't know, not really where I live. It could just be a regional issue.

In my eye, the negative arguments seem to have won. While triathlon may be sexy today, what is happening to the sport today to keep it that way? In the future when the fit forty year-olds are all in their late sixties and dropping out of sports, what or who are going to take their place?

What are any of your thoughts? Can anyone change my mind?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Yes, but if that were the case, wouldn't there be many more younger people joining triathlon? Are there?

+ I don't know, not really where I live. It could just be a regional issue.
------------------------

I'd say a regional issue. There are lots and lots of people in both sexes, ages 25-40 doing triathlon in California. I'd guess the majority are triathletes of 3-4 years or less. In NorCal, most of the beginner races are over half women (of all ages).

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. It is full-on mainstream now.

The sport will (probably) always retain some of its beauty and wonder, no doubt, but as for being unique and quirky (if there is value in that): It's over. People's aunts are doing it. People do it to "empower" themselves- come, get a life Oprah and Dr. Phil lovers. The only people who buy that spend too much time in self-help books. And most people who read self-help books only read the ones that agree with what they already think. God forbid they'd REALLY have to look at their own behavior.

Only thing finiishing a triathlon proves is you can swim, bike and run. Just because you finished Ironman, you're not "empowered".

So, this influx of participants who want to get "empowered" or something like that. Well, there has been substantial dilution of the triathlon demographic to include the "everyman".

While some may lament that, it is not a bad thing. For me, it pays the bills. :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It could just be a regional issue."

I'm curious about this.

Where I live in rural Ontario we don't have near the population base that you have in SF or other place so our sampling may not be representative. The closest city to me (pop 40,000) is about forty minutes away.We have a small tri club but us old farts 40-50 are the biggest group. We have several in their 30's and only three or four members in their 20's.

When I look around the area my area, the conclusion drawn as to why speedos are "out" with the twenty somethings is because 80% of them are too fat to wear one and it's easier to hide this behind those great big baggies that they wear. It seems to me that the % of fat 20's and boomers is about the same. That's really scarey because most of the fat boomers weren't when they were in their 20's. So what will these kids be like when they're middle aged.

I'm 52 and wear a speedo because I still can. It is nice to still have a tight ass and semi flat stomach at this age. Dunno if that makes me sexy as a triathlete. You'd better ask my 36 yr old (2nd) wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<While triathlon may be sexy today, what is happening to the sport today to keep it that way? In the future when the fit forty year-olds are all in their late sixties and dropping out of sports, what or who are going to take their place?>>

Well, it won't be my generation (Generation X). Besides being smaller in number than the Baby Boom generation, we don't have as much money. Yes, there are some doing well but as a whole, we are FUBAR. If the powers that be in triathlon want to get rich, they need to market to the group currently in their early early twenties/late teens. This generation stands to INHERIT approx. 14 TRILLION dollars. This is money being passed on from the Baby Boomers to Gen Y. This generation is set up to live a life of luxury never before experienced anywhere at anytime. Many will not have to work nearly 40 hours a week, or need steady work or whatever. Of course they will come with short attention spans, rapidly changing tastes etc. This is the generation to watch.

As far as marketing to anybody over 40, sorry to say, it's a proven waste. Remember the Pepsi ads showing elderly people drinking Pepsi Cola and being young spirited again? No worky. Now, we have Brittney's belly pushing Pepsi. Look at the Cadillac ads, not directed to the 50 plus crowd. Young people spend money, older people don't.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]-Yes, but if that were the case, wouldn't there be many more younger people joining triathlon? Are there?

+ I don't know, not really where I live. It could just be a regional issue. Quote-Yes, but if that were the case, wouldn't there be many more younger people joining triathlon? Are there? + I don't know, not really where I live. It could just be a regional issue[/quote]

The Chicago Tri Club, of which I am not a member, but who's members I see at races, generally are your 20-30 somethings. I am 22 and got into tris about a year and a half ago. Though, among my friends and colleagues I am certainly a rarity.

Everyone runs, it's easy to get into. No one swims, you have to wear those funny thongs. Cycling...ha! People my age just don't get it when I tell them how much I paid for my bike. Tri is, for the most part, a yuppie sport and appears to be prohibitively expensive to get into if you want to 'do well.' Not everyone my age wants to throw down that much cash or put the amount of effort and time into training for a tri that it takes to do decently, imo.

I know about 10 people who did their first marathon this year to every 1 person who did their first tri. Don't know how that trend compares to the past but I would guess that running is blowing up bigger than tri is. As for the 'empowered' folk, Tom, I don't think the feeling from being 'empowered' is enough to keep up tri in the long run (5-10+ years). I just don't think that group of people enjoy 'the suffer' enough to make it a consistent thing. But perhaps their lack of masochism makes them better people....who knows.

But anywho, back to the original question: "Is Triathlon Still Sexy?"
Age grouper Lokelani McMichael is smokin' and that's enough for me (Last month's cover of Outside Magazine)
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<I'm 52 and wear a speedo because I still can. It is nice to still have a tight ass and semi flat stomach at this age. Dunno if that makes me sexy as a triathlete. You'd better ask my 36 yr old (2nd) wife>>

Fitty-two wit a tirty-six year ol' wife? You ain't a doctor of chiropracty, you're a doctor of Mackology.

Here's to da Mack Daddy, Cerveloguy.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it is just me-but I do some of those triathlon things and I stay horny all of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [ahoodlum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you ahoodlum, for the "empowerment" crowd triathlons are just the flavor of the week. They are the same crowd doing the Dr. Phil, causing cosemetic surgery to grow at incredible rates, always looking for some experience, person or external "thing" to prove their power and worth.

As with everything else in their life, they go from thing to thing looking for that magical "thing" that will finally give them the last step on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs: Self Actualization.

Too bad it doesn't come from outside "things" or experiences.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not even, c'mon, we all know that TT is the sexiest sport in the world!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised at how many triathletes do 6-15 hours of "cardio" and are ... uhh ... not lean. What can a person possibly eat to not create a calorie deficiency in their training? How can one be so disciplined in their training and so undisciplined elsewhere? (Obviously, I'm not referring to pros here)

Sexy points lost right there.

Add in a speedo to the above.

More sexy points lost.

The short running shorts that should have stayed in the 80s.

More sexy points lost.

Men in half tank tops.

More sexy points lost.

[I guess some would find the above sexy]

Okay ... serious now.

IMO, as a new person to this sport, triathlons are "not new" anymore. They're like a Christmas toy in March. It's already been played with, the paint is off, there's some scratches, and it won't be what it once was (listen to me? I'm practically rolling my eyes at myself). It's just like any other endeavor where people are looking for rejuvination. What used to be a sports car, or erotic fishing/hunting trip is now triathlons.

There is not a better (for you) endeavor (IMO) than triathloning, but the sheer numbers of people new in the sport are watering down the luster. The plus side is the more people in the sport, the more competitive and the more talent there will be (not percentagewise).

Too many people are doing the events just to finish, rather than "to race". I'm sure equipment manufacturers don't mind ... because they are selling a lot of new equipment to folks that have the money and don't know they don't need top of the line "just to finish" (and then there's plenty of people in the know that are getting 'hardly used' triathlon equipment on ebay for a very reduced cost *wink*). But, I'd be willing to bet that this chaps the lifers off somewhat.

I think to hold onto the "sacred achievement" than finishing an Ironman has, they need to enforce some type of requirements, so that you don't still finish if you "had 2 picnics, and passed out 3 times". They should have times for each stage that you must meet, in order to continue, and make finishing be more than just a completion task (maybe they do have these, and I don't know about it).

I realize what I am typing has to sound rich coming from a newbie. If I deserve a "shuddup", then say so. If I had been a triathlete for the last 10 years, I would do the same as I did when playing college baseball ... seek to protect the integrity of the sport.

I'd guess, by observing, that right now, the tri community is just happy that their sport is growing like mad, and when the dust settles, the lifers will still be there, and I doubt that any recreational triathletes are hogging the platform.

To sum it up, the higher the number of people that complete the Ironman, the less it means. There is nothing wrong with failing and then coming back stronger to race the distance.

I mentioned a few cons already, but not to be negative, there are many "ups" to having a vastly growing sport. But, as it grows it will become "less sexy". It was as sexy as its going to get when it was just something a "few psychos" did. Like somebody mentioned earlier, now it's something that "your aunt does". Depending on your perspective that can be a good/bad thing. I can't think of much else that would benefit "my aunt" more than exercising towards a definitive goal.

I'm guessing, and perhaps this has already happenned ... that eventually races will become segregated ... with those who are "trying to race/win", and those who are "trying to finish". At least some of the races could "stay sexy" and some of the others could "let themselves go a bit", and we'd (triathletes) have the best of both worlds.

I typed more than I should have and said some things I'm likely not qualified to say. But, screw it, it's a message board, and it's just my opinion. My opinion does not control the actions of others ... nor should it.

I'm interested to see if us newbies or if people that are doing it "just to finish" are viewed as "scabs crossing a strike line" or something similar.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [Mantis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sexy? To me there is nothing sexier that the women of triathlon. One of the great things about starting in the later waves is catching the women on the bicycle, especially on steep uphills! Wow, I'm firming up just thinking about it! But overall, what is sexy about a sport where you start out spraying yourself with cooking oil and finish covered with snot and piss! Who cares, I still love the women!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As fewer people wear speedo's and swimsuits during the bike leg and exchange them for half to full biking shorts, the sport is more sexy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok... I've read the posts and now here's my opinion. I'm from the younger crowd so I felt obligated to chime in - 22 years old and did my first tri when I was 17.

I did my first tri for the hell of it... just to see how I could do. It seemed like a cool idea and sounded fun (I'd never seen one before... just read about the race and decided to enter). It was probably the best decision of my life. I fell in love with triathlons and could not dream of a better sport.

To anyone that says that it isn't what it once was... nothing ever is. So, what if there are more people in the sport? That's more people that get to share in this incredible sport. It doesn't matter if you're competing for age group spots, overall, or just to finish. We're all brought together because of the fun of competing.

I personally compete for my age group (hopefully this year I might snag a few "overall" places) but, I do not think that more people means less quality or less fun for a race.

Too many people take this sport for granted... love it and share it.

As for the age polls. Triathlon is a rich persons sport. You need money and you need time. With the cost of living going up - it has become increasingly difficult for younger athletes to spend this much on a "hobby". I only spent a grand on my bike and everyone thought I was nuts... maybe it's because I still haven't bought a car! Haha... shows you where my priorities are! All in all the entry fees, a decent bike (if you actually want to compete), time spent, travel to and from races adds up to too much. You can't appeal to a younger crowd if the younger crowd can't afford to compete.

Now, about the speedos. I personally haven't had the courage to wear one for the entire race (I did a few swims in a speedo and switched to shorts afterward). But, if you've got the confidence I say go for it. Whether you're 20 or 60 - it's all good.

Two more things before I go:

1. Triathlon will ALWAYS be sexy.

2. Cerveloguy has mad skills.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [thisbetc621] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some reason (and this is my opinion) the pro women in triathlon seem to 'age' faster. This is more long course, because there are a couple of cute ITU girls (Pip Taylor, Laura Reback, Emma Snowsill [is ok] to name a few). I guess all those hours of training make the IM women 'less pretty' (if I may put it in simple words).

Fernanda Keller (hope I spelled that right) is pretty, and Badmann is ok, but apart from that the other women are meh.

This is on a different side from the men, because triathlon is like the ultimate body defining sport (and not bulky like weight lifting). This sport just gives guys great bodies (i hope that didn't come out gay haha).

As for the sexy points, there should be a flab-meter that measures your stomach. If it's over say 2 inches (of fat), you gotta race in a full body suit (jk).

++ sexy points right there
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [thisbetc621] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first got into this I read somewhere that the average income of a tiathlete was 75K.

Do you guys think this is by nature or design?

In my mind I compared it to golf, where for decades public courses were extremely rare. Obviously, golf, like triathlons has changed quite a bit.

I'm wondering if we'll see a trend where triathloning can be more accessible to more types of people (i.e. become less expensive)?

Like I mentioned above, there are pros and cons to having numbers increase, and (IMO) most of the results would be positive. Seems like a lot more $$$ could be made by increasing volumes of sales rather than making fewer sales more expensive ... like golf has done.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amung people my age (i'm 21), im definately a rarity. But, even though many of the athletes are a little older, and thus lack the traditional sex appeal, i think triathlon has tons of sex appeal. Maybe its because i do olympic and sprint tris, and havent done many longer distance (and thus avoid those seeing it as an empowerment tool), but those people around me have some of the greatest bodies i've ever seen, regardless of age. As to whether the sport is sexy, that is debatable, but having 5-7 percent body fat will always be sexy, and being in great shape will always be a part of triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your take on choices but to leave out Lokelani McMichael...bad call. She is anything but meh...
http://www.esquire.com/women/gallery/000801_mww_lokelani_frame.html
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I tend to agree--the sport has lost a certain, suggested uniqueness along with a tangible degree of mystique. Those once meant something to me personally. I suppose coming from a swimming background, I felt more drawn to the personal 1 V 1 appeal of an individual sport that most people only knew of thanks to Julie and the Wide World of Sports.

And, yes, it had(s) a quiry appeal to it that made it a bit off and a good deal different (take, for example, our much esteemed self-flagellating Board Moderator/Proprietor/Owner/Commisar).

Still, like anything else with the potential to turn a profit, there's always a side that will slowly chip-away at that type of uniqueness as the sport's various financial sponsors attempt to "mainstream" it in order to generate more exposure and, thus, more revenue. I'm not saying that's a bad thing...it simply is....

Mountaineering (another hobby we share in common although I'm a rank amateur compared to you) saw a similar build-up until that fateful season on Everest. Even still, the burgeoning commercial aspect of it continued to gain momentum until, I believe, Alex Lowe died. It quieted down somewhat after that, although there are still many lammentations to be read in Rock And Ice about the commercialization of that sport. It happens.

I'm not bothered so much by the growing numbers of people interested in it, even if that means that we do, in fact, lose that visceral sense of immortal accomplishment from the perspective of the flat-line non-trigeek. I welcome others to discover the same enjoyment that I've found in this sport. It's fun, and nobody should have exclusive rights to fun. (A tangental issue comes to mind--namely, how many "adolescent" triathletes, between years 3 and, say, 8 in the sport, remember to HAVE FUN in stead of worrying about wheels and splits and such nonsense....)

Nor am I bothered by most of the commercial aspects of a growing industry centered around the sport. I don't much care for the WTC and their strangle-hold on Kona slots; then again, I don't harbor any illusions of qualifying for Kona. A sport has to provide some measure of tangible succes to survive; perhaps this aspect of commercial growth is the price that triathlon must pay. Still, we all have the choice to pay our money to support the races that we enjoy. Choice hasn't been sacrificed. Furthermore, if events like the Malibu race and Vineman can provide some philanthropic benefits for good causes, then I will willingly pay my $175.

What DOES bother me is the facet of superficial instant-gratification and ensuing overexposure that any activity like triathlon or mountaineering suffer when they rapidly become the sport du jour to the mass marketing plasticism of pop culture icons. I suppose I feel it started when that gal from Baywatch (The Virgin Connie Swale) made her short debut, followed by a succession of Hollywood personalities. I don't deny their right to participate--not at all. Rather, I think they're generalized air of non-committal participation in whatever event is hip or cool serves to minimize the joy, fun and fulfillment that so many can potential access through this sport. That's almost a self-defeating paradox of sorts, though, if you think about it long enough.

...Dunno...but I'm thinking that when Paris Hilton takes up triathlon, it might be time to depart for ultra-marathoning, brevet riding or sword swallowing.

Cheers,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [Scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot on my friend, Spot on......

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Still Sexy? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to go cerveloguy! If you've got it, flaunt it. Because you won't have it forever. Live for today.

As for the speedos, no one has talked about geography. Here in Florida, the temps are in the upper 90s and humidity is 90% in the summer. I find it MUCH cooler to race in a speedo when the heat and humidity are high. I think what you wear it might be a matter of wear you live. If you come to Florida and look at what athletes are wearing at the races, the fast age-groupers and pros are wearing speedos. I know for me, there is nothing more comfortable to race in. I've tried the one-piece suits and Zoot/DeSoto type cycling shorts and they don't come close.

As for the women of triathlon, it is sexy. You just have to look carefully. There is nothing sexier at the races than a perfectly sculpted (and anatomically correct) women pro in an ORCA elite suit running her ass off. So, yes, triathlon is still sexy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, I am a 37yo newbie to triathlon, but not to biking/running/etc. I agree with much that has already been said, and much of what Scott mentioned. But I believe triathlon is sexy for the intangibles...I certainly don't look at every female triathlete body as sexy, just because they have paid their money to enter a race, whether to win or not. I think that the simple concept of training hard to improve your mental and physical well-being is sexy by itself....because as many here often say, "...whatever gets you in the pool and on the bike and on the road.....". I don't see this as 'empowerment', but as a healthy lifestyle choice for now and into the future. I definitely won't stop training/racing when 'society' says it's no longer 'in'.

Today, I have no aspirations for podium, but just to keep training, staying healthy, improving, and feeling good (sexy?) when I'm done. I DO find it sexy when a fellow triathlete (or 2) who I think are sexy tell me that I look good and encourage me to keep racing. And I DON'T wear a speedo, because I don't think I would be comfortable in one for practical purposes. [I could probably pull it off, but I wouldn't want to see myself in the mirror.]

Keith
Quote Reply