Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today?
Quote | Reply
Well - what the subject says :) He was above 45 kmh and putting down the hammer now ...
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today?

Nope!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only cause he didn’t want to.....

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4:01:19

Not bad :-)

Fastest ever ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who’s Adam Hansen? AGer that’s about to go 4:15 on the bike. Has no results on obstri.com. Google search says there’s a Lotto Sudal Adam Hansen that’s from Australia that’s the right age, but the flag on the tracker isn’t AUS.

Edit: found him on Instagram. It’s the Lotto Sudal Adam Hansen
Last edited by: Sean H: Nov 2, 19 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Who’s Adam Hansen? AGer that’s about to go 4:15 on the bike. Has no results on obstri.com. Google search says there’s a Lotto Sudal Adam Hansen that’s from Australia that’s the right age, but the flag on the tracker isn’t AUS.

Yes, it's the pro cyclist Adam Hansen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Adam Hansen is an amazing cyclist that completed 20 grand tours in a row, is a weight weenie as heart and aero weenie as well. Runs a crazy seat to bar drop, runs 38cm bars to be more aero, has his own cycling shoe company called Hanseeno (and clothing) with his shoes being made 100% carbon.

The ride would have been controlled for him today in order to run well.

And no Starky did not go under 4 hours today.

Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He obviously didn't design his shoes to be fast in transition...
One of the things he is known for is 20 grand tours in a row - that's just shy of 7 years finishing Giro, Tour & Vuelta every time. Can't imagine that IM seems too scary after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe if he gets the triathlon bug he will design some shoes for tri. clearly with 7 minute transitions, he is not a triathlete yet. He is averaging 7:11 miles for now on the run which is not bad for a cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is he gonna break 4h on the run?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Maybe if he gets the triathlon bug he will design some shoes for tri. clearly with 7 minute transitions, he is not a triathlete yet. He is averaging 7:11 miles for now on the run which is not bad for a cyclist.

He’s got some awesome shoes for IMFL on his Instagram, but then he went and ruined the aeroness of them but putting some square blocks on the toes. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the sensors for. I do not think it will cause too much of an issue as he still rode 4:15 and seems to be running well so far. 1:00 swim is not bad either.

He may go under 9h for his first Ironman. Not bad.
Last edited by: BMANX: Nov 2, 19 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
4:01:19

Not bad :-)

Fastest ever ?

Not quite, 5 seconds off of his record split at IM Texas 2017. But it was about a minute faster than he want 6 years ago at IM Florida. Note that a lot of people don’t count IM Texas times from 2018 as the bike course that was 2 miles short that year. Per Thorsten Radd from his excellent site TriRating.com

Andrew Starykowicz *** (3:54:59) IM Texas on 2018-04-28
Andrew Starykowicz 4:01:14 IM Texas on 2017-04-22
Andrew Starykowicz 4:02:17 IM Florida on 2013-11-02
Johann Ackermann *** (4:03:19) IM Texas on 2018-04-28
Andrew Starykowicz 4:03:35 IM Arizona on 2015-11-15
Lionel Sanders 4:04:38 IM Arizona on 2016-11-20
Andrew Starykowicz 4:04:39 IM Florida on 2012-11-03

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Nov 2, 19 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean only because he had to run a mere marathon
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Starky would went for it. Glad he didn’t.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Well - what the subject says :) He was above 45 kmh and putting down the hammer now ...

Why are these rides so interesting when he just blows up on the run?

Skipper riding a 4:04, following up with a 2:39 is much more impressive.

I'm sure Skipper would ride sub 4 easily if he had to run ca. 3h off the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don’t get it do you. If he bikes 5hrs he’s not running a 2:36, or :46. He does what he does. He easily could have gone sub 4

He ran a 1:16 in Nice which is dam impressive. Also when you lose ur Kona slot in the race your mindset changes.

Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like the old IMFL course modeled a few minutes faster, so maybe Starky goes sub-4 on that course, especially on a warmer more humid day...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 3, 19 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
He ran a 1:16 in Nice which is dam impressive..

I agree with you but let’s do a thought experiment.

Let’s concede that his 1:16 at Nice predicts a 2:32 open marathon. Right now, he’s putting up a 2:58 off the bike, which sort of fits the old received wisdom of running an IM run 1min/mi slower than your open pace.

So the question is, what’s the most efficient open to IM run ratio and what would Starky have to bike to achieve that, and would his new combined bike/run time be good enough to win?

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m with you. Athlete swims well, overbikes and blows up on the run every time. Or, at best, shows his run quality is far below others (which we know). This storyline is so old and tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what do you want him to do?

Come out of T2 with a guy that clearly is the better runner? Or would you rather put the runner in the hole and maybe just maybe that runner blows up.

Cus I'll tell you, Starky isn't going to go head to head with a runner and win even after an "easy" bike. So what strategy are you insisting he play?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 3, 19 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I’m with you. Athlete swims well, overbikes and blows up on the run every time. Or, at best, shows his run quality is far below others (which we know). This storyline is so old and tired.

Let's imagine we had a 26.2 mile run/112 mile bike/2.4 mile swim Ironman.

I think Starky would employ the exact same strategy. He'd run what he can (and it would be better relatively because it would be in the coolest part of the day for a big guy) and hammer the bike and then go like a torpedo on the swim and we would say he is pacing genius for how fast his closing swim was.

Or imagine a guy like Bart Aernouts. He would hammer the run, hammer the bike and his slowish swim would be exponentially worse and he might look like a wet noodle and we'd say that this sub 8 Kona stud is a pacing imbecile.

I think at the end of the day, these guys have to race their strengths. That 2:58 from Starky is super impressive, espcially since he was dragged around under a bus several months ago and large parts of his body were kind of minced meat.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t care what he does. As I said, the story is old and the result is predictable. He probably races the way he should race...my point wasn’t an attack on his strategy.

But, a bike course “record” followed by a crap run is like holding the record for most points in a quarter for b-ball/football—mildly interesting, but largely irrelevant if that team goes into to lose the game every time.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Starky gonna break 4h on the bike today? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree; no beef with his strategy. I just don’t care about how fast he bikes when everyone else he is racing again say is involved in a triathlon race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would you rather have?

A bike course record or a finish with no records but the same result overall? Not everyone can be the world champion, not everyone can win the NBA championship. So if you can get your name in the papers etc for leading the S/B, etc you just probaly covered your bills.

Cus the other side is, he's not going to "pace himself" to an IM win against the likes he faced with his run. So yes of course it's old and predictable.....But isn't that pretty much for everyone? Who has changed their "habits" or strengths and gone on and actually succeeded?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next