Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon?
Quote | Reply
70.3 Florida just finished and nothing but crickets on this forum this morning.

Are people just not interested if the Lion isn't in the mix?
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHITEJM74 wrote:

No, he’s not. Not even remotely in the same planet as Tiger.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 18, 21 8:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHITEJM74 wrote:

Maybe this goes to show the positive impact the videos Talbot made leading up to Texas and the commentary he did on race day have on drawing eyeballs and ST comments. Had someone made a similar effort heading into the race in Florida, there might have been more than crickets.

And no, Lionel is nothing comparable to Tiger Woods. Very very few athletes are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say more Tim Tebow than Tiger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems people are missing your point (I think).

Sanders isn't in the same league if you're talking about winning. But golf's TV ratings are affected when Wood's not in contention in a golf tournament. I think you've got a point. If Sanders had raced Florida vs Texas, there would be a difference in the relative interest in these two races.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:

Sanders isn't in the same league if you're talking about winning. But golf's TV ratings are affected when Wood's not in contention in a golf tournament. I think you've got a point. If Sanders had raced Florida vs Texas, there would be a difference in the relative interest in these two races.

Thank you.
Last edited by: WHITEJM74: Apr 18, 21 9:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was as interested in Florida as Texas. I was surprised at the quality of the start list given no pre race/during banter.

Decent to follow, the tracker seemed to hold out and a good finish with Dreitz trying to hold off Aernouts who was himself in Hanson’s cross hairs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:

he's def tapped into media as self promotion in a sport that really lacks a lot of widespread coverage. his self promotion is paying off in big ways.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:

If you want to try to equate Tiger's global reach, market-moving presence to Lionel's micro, micro-reach to what's literally like maybe a few thousand (or maybe hundred?) people on ST?

Well, then, sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talbot is essentially the media outlet face for ironman triathlon and Lionel is in the spotlight since they've been partnered for a while now.

PTO is changing things. The collins cup will be great for media coverage and hype. Ironman does almost no marketing or media coverage for the pros

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

If you want to try to equate Tiger's global reach, market-moving presence to Lionel's micro, micro-reach to what's literally like maybe a few thousand (or maybe hundred?) people on ST?

Well, then, sure.
If you want to compare the global reach and market-moving presence of golf to triathlon, golf is going to dominate.

Within golf, Woods generates more interest than most other golfers. Sanders seems to have somewhat of that effect within triathlon.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only reason I know about triathlon, or have any interest in it, is because of Lionel and his channel. I found it right as the pandemic started. I did not know at the time that he had the presence he does, it just seemed like a real dude who was kind of like me...

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [RossJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RossJ wrote:
The only reason I know about triathlon, or have any interest in it, is because of Lionel and his channel. I found it right as the pandemic started. I did not know at the time that he had the presence he does, it just seemed like a real dude who was kind of like me...

This is exactly why he is nothing like Tiger. No one ever watched Tiger and thought, “he’s kind of like me.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not interested in Lionel at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Are you interested in professional triathlon at all?

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
RossJ wrote:

This is exactly why he is nothing like Tiger. No one ever watched Tiger and thought, “he’s kind of like me.”

Clearly you're not a Black American.

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
RossJ wrote:

Clearly you're not a Black American.

Nice deflection. This thread is full of the worst analogies and arguments. Classic ST.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 18, 21 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
worth to mention, a few texas 70.3 racers did this one back to back. Adding times together joe skipper had quite a good double effort
Last edited by: synthetic: Apr 18, 21 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
dfru wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Yes.

It wasn't meant to be as snarky as it sounded. So sorry about that. The great part of sports (and being a fan) is that there's someone for everyone. I LOVE Lionel's transparency and the work that he and his team have done has lifted the events he's in, but I can see why some don't really love the methods.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
I was as interested in Florida as Texas. I was surprised at the quality of the start list given no pre race/during banter.

Just wait for the crickets to chirp chirp around here next weekend when Frodo and Lange and Spirig and Norden race each other in a half Iron....
TrackingSport
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Apr 18, 21 14:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Id say more conor mcgregor would be a better term. The media and hype turns up 100%. People turn up when lionel races. But as far as Tiger affect more of a Jan Frodo. :) Just my two cents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not start a thread about 70.3 Florida?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Id say more conor mcgregor would be a better term. The media and hype turns up 100%. People turn up when lionel races. But as far as Tiger affect more of a Jan Frodo. :) Just my two cents

>
Agreed 100% Talbot...Keep up the great work..One of the cool things about following guys like Lionel through your videos is all the spin off material from other athletes,coaches and organizations that pop up on my YouTube feed. Take Lionel's track buddy Ari Klau for example...Awesome stuff.

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Apr 18, 21 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: Is LIONel the TIGER Woods of triathlon? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
dfru wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Yes.

It wasn't meant to be as snarky as it sounded. So sorry about that. The great part of sports (and being a fan) is that there's someone for everyone. I LOVE Lionel's transparency and the work that he and his team have done has lifted the events he's in, but I can see why some don't really love the methods.

It didn't come off as snarky. I just find his whole personality irritating.

Anyways the title of this thread is bonkers. Lionel is nowhere as dominant a force as Tiger. When Lionel has won Hawaii 5 times, maybe we can discuss.
Quote Reply

Prev Next