Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time?
Quote | Reply
Who else would be in the running? I mean long term self-coached, not "between coaches" for a season or two.

I don't think he even swims with a squad, and his training camps seem to be mainly with friends who are AGers or BOP pros. Seems like it works pretty well for him though.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For triathlon, don't know. Successful athlete of all time, I'd suggest Graham Obree.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who coached people in the early days? i know mark allen worked with maffetone, but wasn't dave scott self-coached? tinley? molina? they did ok in the end.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
farris if you would be ok that he did swim with his swim coach from swimmng days quite a bit when he was home
stadler was self coached
and as somebody said dave scott.
so i guess that would be your 3 most successful ones in tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In one of his recent videos at the pool he's training with Techno and his mate both with about 20years on Skipper 😂. I think i saw the other day that he put a post out seeing if anyone fancies going for a run, can't imagine there are a lot of top level athletes who would do the same, i imagine a lot would be annoyed someone has come to follow them around whilst they are 'working'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure....but he sure is one of the most under rated and least talked about. Just 3 minutes behind Blu in Sub 7 (as a last minute replacement), a win in IM Wales, 5th in Kona and now this result in AZ. Decent season I'd say.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [DonV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DonV wrote:
For triathlon, don't know. Successful athlete of all time, I'd suggest Graham Obree.

I had been thinking only for triathlon, interesting to think about other sports too though.

I wondered if there were a few from back in the day when perhaps it was less common to be coached. Definitely more of an anomaly now.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [elecious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elecious wrote:
In one of his recent videos at the pool he's training with Techno and his mate both with about 20years on Skipper 😂. I think i saw the other day that he put a post out seeing if anyone fancies going for a run, can't imagine there are a lot of top level athletes who would do the same, i imagine a lot would be annoyed someone has come to follow them around whilst they are 'working'

He's always open to training with people on the bike or run, and quite often has adverts out for people to join him.

His training with the two old guys is great. There's a video of them somewhere hot and techno is leading them out on the bike in what looks like full heat gear, poor fellar ends up bonking, not surprised with the clothes he was wearing :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Scott is the most successful self coached athlete of all time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryan Hall was self-coached for large chunks of his career

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

I thought God was his coach.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wondered if there were a few from back in the day when perhaps it was less common to be coached. Definitely more of an anomaly now. //

More than a few, virtually all of us were self coached. And Mark Allen was not coached by Maffetone, came into his career late, and made suggestions. SO you can decide if any of the top folks from the 80's was more successful, several 6+ time Kona champions to choose from, Terminators, etc. We all might have had indicidual sport coaches, most went to masters workouts, and sometimes track with real runners, but no all round Tri coaches.

And when you think about it, makes a lot of sense since we were the very first to take triathlon to a professional level. Who is going to coach a sport that didn't exist a few years earlier that is made up of 3 different sports? SO not surprising that you will find a lot of those men and women now coaching the latest crop of athletes, the people that lived, experimented, succeeded and failed for 15 years, before handing all that knowledge forward...

So Joe is not totally self coached, he has the benefit of 40 years of history, articles, and he does hang out with some pretty good athletes to bounce stuff of off. (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Skipper compete in endurance sport when in school?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Nov 21, 22 18:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim DeBoom had a pretty nice race resume, and as far as I recall, was self coached.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

I'm not sure who was in charge with Ryan, but Joe is way better at triathlon than Ryan was at running.
The world is bigger than the USA.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

I'm not sure who was in charge with Ryan, but Joe is way better at triathlon than Ryan was at running.

The world is quite big and Ryan Hall placed tenth in 2008 Olympic Games agains the best runners in the world. Not too shabby.

Certainly seems that Skipper is having more success in triathlon than Hall had in running, though the comparison isn’t exactly fair. The depth of competition in running is so much deeper in the marathon than long course triathlon. That’s not a knock against Skipper as you can only race who shows up and the sport is relatively young, especially compared to running. It also seems that the talent pool is getting deeper in long course triathlon, which is exciting.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
oprfcc wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

The world is quite big and Ryan Hall placed tenth in 2008 Olympic Games agains the best runners in the world. Not too shabby.

Certainly seems that Skipper is having more success in triathlon than Hall had in running, though the comparison isn’t exactly fair. The depth of competition in running is so much deeper in the marathon than long course triathlon. That’s not a knock against Skipper as you can only race who shows up and the sport is relatively young, especially compared to running. It also seems that the talent pool is getting deeper in long course triathlon, which is exciting.

You are 100% correct. The depth of running is far greater than any sport, except soccer, in the world.
All that said, Kenya and Ethiopia had 50+ guys a piece that don't get to the start line of the Olympics.
And Ryan was the 2nd American in that race (out of 3)
So I'm sticking to it. Joe is better at triathlon than Ryan is at Triathlon.
And Joe is certainly closer to the top of the Sport (% wise) than Ryan ever was.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until Joe deadlifts 5 bills...he is not as successful.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Until Joe deadlifts 5 bills...he is not as successful.

50% of a world record is successful?
Take a long look in the mirror and raise your standards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
Parkland wrote:
oprfcc wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

You are 100% correct. The depth of running is far greater than any sport, except soccer, in the world.
All that said, Kenya and Ethiopia had 50+ guys a piece that don't get to the start line of the Olympics.
And Ryan was the 2nd American in that race (out of 3)
So I'm sticking to it. Joe is better at triathlon than Ryan is at Triathlon.
And Joe is certainly closer to the top of the Sport (% wise) than Ryan ever was.

Well, I would hope so since Joe is a professional triathlete and Ryan was a professional runner ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brad Beven
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joss1965 wrote:
Not sure....but he sure is one of the most under rated and least talked about. Just 3 minutes behind Blu in Sub 7 (as a last minute replacement), a win in IM Wales, 5th in Kona and now this result in AZ. Decent season I'd say.

Is he though? We don't talk about him often but most people seem to rate him very highly.

Pretty much every thread about Skipper has someone make the "underrated" comment, but rarely does anyone talk down his abilities or accomplishments.

It's the reverse-Lionel. Lol. We talk about him often and someone comes in to say he's overrated even when no one inflates his racing abilities.

I'm really enjoying Joe's racing and content. Big fan. Racing from the back and his humor are both very entertaining, imo.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Nov 22, 22 5:05
Quote Reply
Re: Is Joe Skipper the most successful self-coached athlete of all time? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet he went for more of a 10 mile run than a 3 mile run while his dog was at the groomers😄
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the (allegedly) un-coachable Brownlee(i) a 'possible' in this trawl?
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Nov 22, 22 2:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

i am closer to agree with you than not , but i am not that sure if it is that clear cut, at one stage hall was 1.50 min of the marathon world record roughly 1.5 percent, joe was 13,30 behind gustav which is almost a 3 percent gap i leave it to you to do the motorbike benefit calculation... and at world champs 2019 it was 16,5 min. and yes we could say that joe is not the best suited to race in the heat
Quote Reply

Prev Next