Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Ironman (WTC) burning out their athletes?
Quote | Reply
I got into the sport around 2006, started with Ironman in 2009. At that point in time it seemed doing 2 Ironman races in a year was a big deal, even at the pro level of B and C pro athletes.

Fast forward to 2018 and it seems 2 Ironman races is becoming more the norm and now doing 3 or 4 is not that uncommon. Especially for the B and C pros that seem to do multiple Ironman races each year.

Yes we have more Ironman racing options now, social media displays more of what is going on outside of our local community, etc. But it still seems that people race more and potentially do not allow their body to recover enough, respect the demand of the distance/event enough, etc.

A trend I have also seen in the past few years is the lack of development over the distance. It seems their is somewhat of a shift to race Ironman more and more and see how well you can do, then really invest into one maybe 2 Ironamns a year and give it your absolute best while feeding your desire to race with short course races.

This year it appears more athletes are injured, racing injured, pushing through races and getting injured, burned out, getting sick, etc. Heck about 2 weeks ago the first page on this forum was basically a triage of injuries. The narrative on social media with injuries is interesting as well. Angela Naeth posted about racing through an injury and the commentary was more or less "great display of bravery, etc". Same with Holly Lawrence after Oceanside "Great job pushing through the pain (injury) to finish."

But the pressure to race and race more is more prominent then before. Ironman's marketing; social media, email campaigns, etc are all geared rtf racing more, getting that second chance race right away etc. Since they are trying to increase revenues and do not necessarily care about athlete longevity, are they going to burn out their athlete base?

We all know the 18-34 demographic is lagging, as that demographic shifts older will they get into the sport?

What about the athletes that have been doing Ironman for 5-10 years will they continue or find other ways to feed their competitive itch?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ironman (WTC) burning out their athletes? [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman has made a big push in social media marketing.... BUT, many athletes make it known they are injured on social media. I don't think IM is the cause although, people that want to race more frequently, still have plenty of options to race short course.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing injured is dumb. Bragging about racing injured is even more toxic. Triathlon is a game, even a pro should not endangered himself for it. Plus it sends the message to amateurs that it is the brave and fine way to proceed with injury. Very wrong.
What is brave is despite the effort one did to prepare for a race accept the truth of the wound and dig that pride and protect your health.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ironman (WTC) burning out their athletes? [Ajaj191] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except keyboard warriors shit on them when they drop out of a race, even if it's the right call. It's gotta be a hard call because at the end of the day they're a brand, and have to balance their brand name with the risk of causing serious injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel the issue is not racing frequency, as much as improper training. I don't think most amateurs (i.e. the 'finishers') understand the need for strength training and over-value volume over intensity and that leads to injuries.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:
I got into the sport around 2006, started with Ironman in 2009. At that point in time it seemed doing 2 Ironman races in a year was a big deal, even at the pro level of B and C pro athletes.

Fast forward to 2018 and it seems 2 Ironman races is becoming more the norm and now doing 3 or 4 is not that uncommon. Especially for the B and C pros that seem to do multiple Ironman races each year.

Yes we have more Ironman racing options now, social media displays more of what is going on outside of our local community, etc. But it still seems that people race more and potentially do not allow their body to recover enough, respect the demand of the distance/event enough, etc.

A trend I have also seen in the past few years is the lack of development over the distance. It seems their is somewhat of a shift to race Ironman more and more and see how well you can do, then really invest into one maybe 2 Ironamns a year and give it your absolute best while feeding your desire to race with short course races.

This year it appears more athletes are injured, racing injured, pushing through races and getting injured, burned out, getting sick, etc. Heck about 2 weeks ago the first page on this forum was basically a triage of injuries. The narrative on social media with injuries is interesting as well. Angela Naeth posted about racing through an injury and the commentary was more or less "great display of bravery, etc". Same with Holly Lawrence after Oceanside "Great job pushing through the pain (injury) to finish."

But the pressure to race and race more is more prominent then before. Ironman's marketing; social media, email campaigns, etc are all geared rtf racing more, getting that second chance race right away etc. Since they are trying to increase revenues and do not necessarily care about athlete longevity, are they going to burn out their athlete base?

We all know the 18-34 demographic is lagging, as that demographic shifts older will they get into the sport?

What about the athletes that have been doing Ironman for 5-10 years will they continue or find other ways to feed their competitive itch?

Ironman Corp cannot force anyone to race. They are a business of putting on and profiting from races. So they naturally want people to race as much as possible. If folks are racing too much its on them. I agree with the tenor of your post about people racing too much. I doubt it is healthy from a social perspective as well.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are going to have to blame the sponsors for this one. Ironman really does not have much to do with it. They want pro's to race, yes, but they aren't telling them too.

I used to be a sponsored athlete (diff sport) and they push you for the contests/races. "You need a top 3 or we are going to have a talk" or if you have had a bad month or so "You need to produce some results" and they just pressure you to race even if you aren't 100% because you are afraid to get dropped.

They love the fact you have some 1st and wins but they soon forget about those and focus on the fact that you had a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th finish.

They have the upper hand because they pay you - so you have to please them. Unless you are a top pro with a ton of other options and are their poster athlete.
Quote Reply