Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes?
Quote | Reply
This was my 2nd time in Hawaii. I took my Madone with in the Bike Box 2 thanks to Dan's recommendation on this site :) Worked just fine, but since I spent time on 2 islands I had to unbuild / rebuild a lot. I arrived home with an undamaged frame and undamaged HED V6 wheels. Thanks TSA :) I do have to negotiate my shipping fees back from Delta darn it. First pic is the swim start IM World Champs viewed from the Kona Inn. I even brought some Christmas decals for my bike to bring some snow to the islands :)

Why might Hawaii be the greatest place to ride? Perfect temps. Always. Never too hot (even the Queen K isn't real hot at 85+ and sunny). It's never cold. I never rode with anything but a standard road kit and was never uncomfortable. Most of my rides started at 5AM or earlier. One mid-day ride on the Queen K and that was borderline hot. The rain is even warm. The pavement is almost always 100% perfection, but the shoulders do have quite a bit of "trash." I rode tubeless. No punctures on GP5000.

Maui. The west loop has it all. Beautiful views and climate from rain forest to dry desert like terrain. Lots and lots of elevation but no major climbs. Much of it is highly technical for road riding with super fast hairpins, and for me huge wind. I hear my wheel fairings scream. I've never had that happen. I got passed by the wind at 40mph. That's never happened. Disk brakes are awesome on the west loop. Pic after riding the west loop and a lot of wet roads. I did not ride to or drive all the way to Hana on this trip. Next time :)

Haleakala. I've done most of the "top 10 USA climbs." Haleakala is #2. It was epic as I'd expected. I actually rode to the mountain from north of Lahaina in the dark for a nice warm up. 3 hours later at full gas in perfect temps and mostly light head winds I reached the summit. It was much steeper than I figured but being relatively "low" made it manageable. There were 2 especially steep sections and of course I made one wrong turn. One of those steep kickers was the final 1/2 mile. For what it's worth Going to the Sun Road in Glacier is still my favorite USA climb.

The big Island. The Queen K is a super speedway. I believe I did my fastest ever road training ride there but did so at a hard pace. After day 1 I thought the cross wind hype was over hyped. After day 2 and almost phoning a friend from the road above the Queen K on Kohala I will never say that again. I remember that being a legit climb but never recalled it being beyond category. Jeepers an hour full gas after 2 hard hours is.....hard. I could barely ride my bike from the crest of the climb at 3600' down to Waimea. I've ridden down mountains at 60mph and this one at 15 mph at times was scaring me to death. Gusts maybe to 50mph. It was crazy. Disk brake rub while not braking. Another first. From Waimea down to the Queen K I believe I spent 6+ miles at 42mph. Mostly straight tail wind thankfully. Pic from nearish to the bottom of descending Hawi. A little Hawaii gravel :)

Due to the several month closure of Mauna Kea I did not ride that because I didn't plan to ride it! :( It crushes me, but it just opened Saturday and I was not prepared. I rode Haleakala with 53-39 and 11-28 and knew that was real bad for Mauna Kea. I don't know how Mauna Kea is best done logistics wise as it's almost impossible to get a rental car legally to the summit. Getting one to the visitor center at 9200' is mostly legal, but riding a bike back down to 9200' unsupported sounds terrible. Even for guy that loves to go stupid fast and rides any surface.

This was our greatest family vacation and I've been blessed to go many wonderful places and ride bikes in most of those places. I even left Hawaii with a couple Strava KOM's as a bonus. No....no I didn't get the KOM on Haleakala darn it :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Last edited by: cmscat50: Jan 2, 20 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing this.

I don't know if it's the greatest place on the earth to ride a bike, but it's up there!

All of my experience(15+ trips there) over a 30 year period has been on the Big Island. I've also heard great things about Maui. You have touched on many of the key highlights of the Kona area. Yes it get's hot mid afternoon - but when we are there and riding we typically roll out at 7am and are done by noon at the latest. Morning riding temperatures are quit pleasant. Winds are typically lower in the morning as well.

Of course the Queen K is famous for being part of the IRONMAN course, and having the HUGE shoulder for most of the route to Hawi and back is really nice, but some of the best riding in Kona is off the Queen K. You mentioned the Kohala Mtn Road loop - an amazing ride. The new ByPass Road to the south of Kailua Town has opened up and made for easier access to some interesting riding options south of Captain Cook.

Generally speaking the pavement is always in great shape. They are starting to pave more shoulders (Waikoloa Road ) and have added bike lanes to a number of roads in and around Kailua Town.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. Flights look cheap for me compared to Europe.

cmscat50 wrote:
For what it's worth Going to the Sun Road in Glacier is still my favorite USA climb.

Going to the Sun road is on the list for this summer for sure. East gate is under 6hrs away according to Google maps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well.... the weather isn't always perfect.
I can get very hot in the summer. I've seen temps 40C+ in the valley in Maui in the summer and 37C on the West Maui loop.
I have also ridden through monsoon rains on the road to Hana.
The climb up Haleakala can be very cold, windy and rainy and even icy in rare circumstances. I think it was last year it snowed at the top.

But yeah, in general, I can go on a vacation to Maui at any time of the year and be almost guaranteed to have somewhere nice to ride each day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be fair, I have not ridden in Hawaii but I'm partial to Utah.
Moab, Brian Head, Bryce-Zion area. All of those are spectacular. Granted, that was on an mtb, but the scenery numbs the pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is.

The West Maui loop is probably my all-time favorite ride. I also did Cycle to the Sun, the race up Haleakala. I enjoyed it despite finishing near the bottom of my AG, but it wasn't as nice as West Maui. I really liked Haleakala until we got well above the treeline, and I found it fairly desolate from there to the summit.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This!
So many other great places to ride on Big Island.

Same for Haleakala- it is over-rated. Pulehu Rd. and some of the other climbs are far more interesting.

West Maui- this ride fully lives up to the hype!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
This!
So many other great places to ride on Big Island.

Same for Haleakala- it is over-rated. Pulehu Rd. and some of the other climbs are far more interesting.

West Maui- this ride fully lives up to the hype!

Pulehu is ok once you get past the garbage dump. LOL.

Some other less ridden stuff to check out:
- Alu Rd to Wailuku heights. Do Iao valley first, come back down and then head up a nasty 1 mile climb. Descend Kuikahi. Or climb up Kuikahi and do the reverse. Good for hill repeats.
- the connector roads between upper and lower Kula. Short (2-3 miles) but NASTY STEEP. Copp Road. Kamehameiki Road. Pulehuiki Road. Lower Kimo Drive
- Olinda/Piiholo loop to Wiahou Spring Forest.
- Ulupalakua to Kaupo and back. Now one of my fave stretches of road. Wild, windy and barren, but light traffic and epic.

And stay away from Oprah's Road, you may get through or you may end up facing an angry bull or a stampede of cows. I will deny any first hand experience of this...

Anyone reading this thread on Maui for March 23-30? I will probably do the East Maui loop, and am hoping to "run" to the top of the mountain via the Kaupo Gap. Experienced and fit crazies, let me know.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Jan 2, 20 15:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. It's among the reasons some of us move here full time. :-)

That said, it does get warmer here in the summer months (October, when Ironman is, still counts as summer). This time of year is pretty ideal temperature wise.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
Yes. It's among the reasons some of us move here full time. :-)

That said, it does get warmer here in the summer months (October, when Ironman is, still counts as summer). This time of year is pretty ideal temperature wise.

Ian

Did you move from the mainland US? If so, you get island fever yet?

My wife and I go to either the Big Island or Maui every winter, and we absolutely love it. We usually stay in a condo (VRBO) while there. When in Hawaii, its real easy to want to consider moving there once I retire. But, its definitely expensive.

I love the west Maui loop. One of my favorite, and I will ride it 2-3 times per week when there. Its especially nice if you start before 7AM. Hardly a car to be seen, especially if on the weekdays.

There's a small shack (cannot recall the name), on the loop, that sells some of the best banana bread I've ever tasted in my life. Especially if you buy her lillikoi butter and apply it to a slightly warmed up piece of the banana bread. YUM!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julia’s Banana Bread in Kahakuloa!

I’ve learned one loaf fits nicely into a jersey pocket. You’ll feel like a hero returning to home base with a few loaves tucked into the jersey. Share it gratuitously, then wait for the payoff........”when are you going on another banana bread run”? Best hall pass to ride, ever.

And yes, while I certainly haven’t been everywhere, the road between Napili and Kahului is nothing but good for the soul. The West Maui loop looks good on Strava, but out and back on that stretch is where it’s at.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pknight wrote:
Going to the Sun road is on the list for this summer for sure. East gate is under 6hrs away according to Google maps!

Best time to hit going to the sun road is after it closes to cars in the fall... or before it opens again in the spring.

I am keeping an eye on this thread for ideas for my big island trip the first week of March. Last year I enjoyed the Painted Church loop quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Anyone reading this thread on Maui for March 23-30? I will probably do the East Maui loop, and am hoping to "run" to the top of the mountain via the Kaupo Gap. Experienced and fit crazies, let me know.

My wife and I rented bikes from West Maui Cycles when we were there last. Four days was $140 per bike or something like that, for a decently equipped Specialized Allez. Cheaper than bike shipping costs and no risk of something getting crushed in transit. I did Haleakala (because when you've gone all the way over there...) and a couple of goes at the West Maui loop, because that's a fantastic ride.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that the volcano has slowed down Hawaii has some of the cleanest air on the planet. When it was going off and no tradewinds I can remember being on Maui with the vog so thick you could not see any other island. Kona used to be the worst, there was a sort of eddy current that trapped the vog in Kona. Ride out to the West and there was a wind line and the air cleared up like magic. I would agree Hawaii has some spectacular riding but also has a lot of traffic to contend with. But yes it has some pretty nice riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Now that the volcano has slowed down Hawaii has some of the cleanest air on the planet. When it was going off and no tradewinds I can remember being on Maui with the vog so thick you could not see any other island. Kona used to be the worst, there was a sort of eddy current that trapped the vog in Kona. Ride out to the West and there was a wind line and the air cleared up like magic. I would agree Hawaii has some spectacular riding but also has a lot of traffic to contend with. But yes it has some pretty nice riding.

We were there in October (2018) and since our home time zone is Mountain time, it was relatively easy to get up, have some breakfast, and hit the road at about 6:15 just as the sun was rising. We were staying at Kapalua, so we were able to hit the narrow part of the West Maui loop right away. Between the start and Wailuku, we'd see maybe four cars. After that the road has enough shoulder that the traffic is not much of an issue.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes"

Yes

If you like the west Maui loop just wait till you do the east Maui loop! (try to do it on a day with sunshine and light winds and it will be amazing - counter clockwise is the preferred direction - (warning there is a fairly rough section but was ride-able for me on 23mm gran prix 4000's))

Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Catherine Pendral says clockwise is better cuz you get through the road to Hana before the traffic. Also you get tailwind all the way up to Ulupalakua.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really nice pics. Looks like you really had fun.

Cannondale Slice 08
look keo pedals
fizik k3 arione saddle
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had Julias bread. It was fantastic, but....I liked her ither items better. Like anything Macadamia :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a chance to ride in the big island this year when the wife and I got married. It was nice but Queen K was the worst of the riding I found there. Massive flat highway with loads of cars and trucks. There are much nicer roads if you don’t need a shoulder that big.

If you want to ride Queen K, you might as well save the money and go to Florida. It was good but I’d still go to Evergreen, CO, La Ceja, Colombia, or the Julian Alps if I was going to spend the money on a trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
This was my 2nd time in Hawaii. I took my Madone with in the Bike Box 2 thanks to Dan's recommendation on this site :) Worked just fine, but since I spent time on 2 islands I had to unbuild / rebuild a lot. I arrived home with an undamaged frame and undamaged HED V6 wheels. Thanks TSA :) I do have to negotiate my shipping fees back from Delta darn it. First pic is the swim start IM World Champs viewed from the Kona Inn. I even brought some Christmas decals for my bike to bring some snow to the islands :)

Why might Hawaii be the greatest place to ride? Perfect temps. Always. Never too hot (even the Queen K isn't real hot at 85+ and sunny). It's never cold. I never rode with anything but a standard road kit and was never uncomfortable. Most of my rides started at 5AM or earlier. One mid-day ride on the Queen K and that was borderline hot. The rain is even warm. The pavement is almost always 100% perfection, but the shoulders do have quite a bit of "trash." I rode tubeless. No punctures on GP5000.

Maui. The west loop has it all. Beautiful views and climate from rain forest to dry desert like terrain. Lots and lots of elevation but no major climbs. Much of it is highly technical for road riding with super fast hairpins, and for me huge wind. I hear my wheel fairings scream. I've never had that happen. I got passed by the wind at 40mph. That's never happened. Disk brakes are awesome on the west loop. Pic after riding the west loop and a lot of wet roads. I did not ride to or drive all the way to Hana on this trip. Next time :)

Haleakala. I've done most of the "top 10 USA climbs." Haleakala is #2. It was epic as I'd expected. I actually rode to the mountain from north of Lahaina in the dark for a nice warm up. 3 hours later at full gas in perfect temps and mostly light head winds I reached the summit. It was much steeper than I figured but being relatively "low" made it manageable. There were 2 especially steep sections and of course I made one wrong turn. One of those steep kickers was the final 1/2 mile. For what it's worth Going to the Sun Road in Glacier is still my favorite USA climb.

The big Island. The Queen K is a super speedway. I believe I did my fastest ever road training ride there but did so at a hard pace. After day 1 I thought the cross wind hype was over hyped. After day 2 and almost phoning a friend from the road above the Queen K on Kohala I will never say that again. I remember that being a legit climb but never recalled it being beyond category. Jeepers an hour full gas after 2 hard hours is.....hard. I could barely ride my bike from the crest of the climb at 3600' down to Waimea. I've ridden down mountains at 60mph and this one at 15 mph at times was scaring me to death. Gusts maybe to 50mph. It was crazy. Disk brake rub while not braking. Another first. From Waimea down to the Queen K I believe I spent 6+ miles at 42mph. Mostly straight tail wind thankfully. Pic from nearish to the bottom of descending Hawi. A little Hawaii gravel :)

Due to the several month closure of Mauna Kea I did not ride that because I didn't plan to ride it! :( It crushes me, but it just opened Saturday and I was not prepared. I rode Haleakala with 53-39 and 11-28 and knew that was real bad for Mauna Kea. I don't know how Mauna Kea is best done logistics wise as it's almost impossible to get a rental car legally to the summit. Getting one to the visitor center at 9200' is mostly legal, but riding a bike back down to 9200' unsupported sounds terrible. Even for guy that loves to go stupid fast and rides any surface.

This was our greatest family vacation and I've been blessed to go many wonderful places and ride bikes in most of those places. I even left Hawaii with a couple Strava KOM's as a bonus. No....no I didn't get the KOM on Haleakala darn it :)

Great pictures and you clearly had a great time!

I really enjoyed cycling in Hawaii, but my personal vote for the best place on earth is still France though. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valid point. My #1 bucket list ride as of now is Columbia. I believe there's some loop there that takes you to remote places and 16,000ish feet.

That said I certainly didn't go to Hawaii to ride the Queen K. I love huge climbs. Therefore Mauna Kea (was closed) was my #1, Haleakala #3 and all else epic (West Loop). I still can't get over how awesome the West Loop was. For those that have not ridden it indeed it is very very hard. Very very technical. And for those that don't like traffic I simply suggest making it an out and back. Ride only the portion from about Kapalua to Waihee and back.

I spent a couple mornings due to time restrictions and rode from home base in Lahaina to about Julia's and back. That captures most of the best of the West loop. Anything between Kapulua and Wailuku is pretty busy. Especially busy between Maalaea and Kapalua. And I rode those busy sections at 5AM a couple times. Still....crazy busy.

A few more pics. All the West Loop. Yes....I rode it in the dark a lot. Not ideal as the gravel got a little large a few times! Thankfully the "multiple rock" pic was me ascending "the wall." The wall is hard and Strava says 15.8% average.

Last edited by: cmscat50: Jan 3, 20 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great shot of the shark fin!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just past Julia's CCW on the West Maui Loop is Lorraine's Shave Ice, she has home made bread from her own bananas. It's where the locals stop, bike racks, nice seating and ocean view.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Hawaii the greatest place on earth to ride bikes? [gmarsden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmarsden wrote:
Just past Julia's CCW on the West Maui Loop is Lorraine's Shave Ice, she has home made bread from her own bananas. It's where the locals stop, bike racks, nice seating and ocean view.

Thank you. I could not recall the name but this is the place I was referencing. I like Julia's but this little shack is da bomb!
Quote Reply

Prev Next