Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironmind Documentary
Quote | Reply
Just saw this on Triathlete... Looks pretty inspiring if you ask me. I will be watching his journey. Any thoughts?

https://www.triathlete.com/...res-in-london_334426
Last edited by: mlevans1: Sep 13, 18 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [mlevans1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im SO curious on the folks here's thoughts. This was on YouTube and supposedly he has no background in any of the disciplines. He's very fit but in his late 40s, trained for THREE months and finished the 70.3 in 5:50? I mean of course not impossible but with 90 days training? He hadn't swum since he was a kid and did a 30 min swim? Im a newbie so maybe its totally plausible but caught my attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [mlevans1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 episodes into it since viewing this link.... wow.
The demons. The motivators. The internal struggles. The hidden 'me'.
I can relate to this in so many ways and might have relived some of my memories of my battles while watching parts of this.

The journey of Ironman for me unfolded in my 1st phase (2010 - 2015). It took me a hell of a lot longer than 90 days to process my demons.
I took 2016 and 2017 off from the sport.
I'm in my 2nd phase of Ironman, and am a completely different person than the "AsKer" that I was before I found myself through the Ironman Journey.

I look forward to seeing more episodes.
Cheers,
Last edited by: Asker: Sep 13, 18 13:23
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [mlevans1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s 6 months old, there were some threads on it. I enjoyed it, fun to watch :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [mlevans1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think he was in decent shape anyhow & that 30min swim was downstream I believe...

Been a few questions online about his authenticity however, mainly as he surprised quite a few by his ability to quit a heavy drug addiction on his own & so quickly - I understand that to be very rare but kudos to him if he managed it.
Typical clickbait too, took him ages to qualify that the race he was training for was a half-distance, used the "Ironman" word liberally.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [mlevans1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was a semi-entertaining youtube series. I found Brian Rose to be a likeable guy, until he started drinking his own urine. I don't watch or follow him anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTucFd-wlcE
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [mlevans1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched it and i think it's entertaining.

One thing though, somewhere in the middle he decides to seek some medical advise and the person in the white coat (not sure if it was a doctor) comes to the conclusion he needs a shot of insuline ?

Well, I'm not an (anti)-doping expert, but that looked pretty shady to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IvarAlmere wrote:
I watched it and i think it's entertaining.

One thing though, somewhere in the middle he decides to seek some medical advise and the person in the white coat (not sure if it was a doctor) comes to the conclusion he needs a shot of insuline ?

Well, I'm not an (anti)-doping expert, but that looked pretty shady to me.

I thought it was a Vitamin B shot but maybe they mentioned insuline too.

If you watch that individual episode you learn that that doctor is actually former Ironman athlete Tomlin Lewis with an Ironman UK win to her credit. Odd that they edited that out of the film.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
IvarAlmere wrote:
I watched it and i think it's entertaining.

One thing though, somewhere in the middle he decides to seek some medical advise and the person in the white coat (not sure if it was a doctor) comes to the conclusion he needs a shot of insuline ?

Well, I'm not an (anti)-doping expert, but that looked pretty shady to me.


I thought it was a Vitamin B shot but maybe they mentioned insuline too.

If you watch that individual episode you learn that that doctor is actually former Ironman athlete Tomlin Lewis with an Ironman UK win to her credit. Odd that they edited that out of the film.

Then I suspect there is a good chance I might made an wrong conclusion. I can't imagine that someone with that kind of experience would be injecting forbidden substances... on film...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [mlevans1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He Has been a very fit dude even back in his Cro-Mags days. Heard him being interviewed several times in the oughts about his raw food diet, yoga, etc.

I am sure that with the right equipment and perhaps coaching he could pull off a 5:50 on a less challenging course.

As an aside, his reputation in the punk scene is pretty iffy these days, although The Age of Quarrel is an undisputed classic of the NYHC genre.

Next races on the schedule: LA Marathon 2020, Oceanside 2020, Santa Rosa 70.3 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
He has been a very fit dude even back in his Cro-Mags days. Heard him being interviewed several times in the oughts about his raw food diet, yoga, etc.

I am sure that with the right equipment and perhaps coaching he could pull off a 5:50 on a less challenging course.

As an aside, his reputation in the punk scene is pretty iffy these days, although The Age of Quarrel is an undisputed classic of the NYHC genre.

John Joseph shows up on Rich Roll every year or so

Quid Pro Cuervo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Joseph has been a triathlete for a long time. The 5:50 was referring to Brian Rose. He had no endurance sports background going into the training. It's pretty clear from the documentary that he was extremely fit going in. If you follow his pod cast you see that it is pretty heavy on health and fitness stuff. I think 5:50 is very good for 3 months training, but not eye popping.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [mlevans1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.mixcloud.com/londonreal/this-is-ironman-not-pussyman-ironmind-episode-1/


"this is ironman, not pussyman"


I watched some of the UTube stuff last year, London Real did a few cool interviews with other cool people e.i., Tim Don, Ross Edgely. Although, I would not call my self a fan, I just thought it was entertaining, but kind of annoying on another level... not sure why, maybe it was the dialogue or whinny feel good aspects, not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [Kendall++] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kendall++ wrote:


I watched some of the UTube stuff last year, London Real did a few cool interviews with other cool people e.i., Tim Don, Ross Edgely. Although, I would not call my self a fan, I just thought it was entertaining, but kind of annoying on another level... not sure why, maybe it was the dialogue or whinny feel good aspects, not sure.

After this came out I started watching his podcast. It got old pretty fast. He has some interesting guests but his self promotion and Tony Robbins persona is too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DimaP wrote:
Im SO curious on the folks here's thoughts. This was on YouTube and supposedly he has no background in any of the disciplines. He's very fit but in his late 40s, trained for THREE months and finished the 70.3 in 5:50? I mean of course not impossible but with 90 days training? He hadn't swum since he was a kid and did a 30 min swim? Im a newbie so maybe its totally plausible but caught my attention.

yea for sure something is off here. 30 min swim , he had to have some back ground as swimmer. unless it was that race where they shortened course to 750m??

this was not authentic at all, and like someone said, about self promotion. Funny he brought that trainer guy who stated studies of vegans having low IQ... and it was proven with that guy from the CroMag band. I seen many people recover from drugs with restored brain operation. So seems his plant based diet rotted his brain more. Could have chosen a much better character. Although the cinematography, music, etc was well done in this movie


http://www.coupleofathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
After this came out I started watching his podcast. It got old pretty fast. He has some interesting guests but his self promotion and Tony Robbins persona is too much.

I started getting relentless emails about signing up for his program to teach you to start a podcast and make a six-figure revenue stream from it and blah blah blah. It was in the order of thousands of dollars to sign up for even the lowest level of program, and apparently there was no shortage of people willing to take that leap of faith, based on his daily "Congratulations to ______ for taking the next step!!" posts on FB.

Unsubscribed from the FB page and his emails pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmind Documentary [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Thom wrote:

After this came out I started watching his podcast. It got old pretty fast. He has some interesting guests but his self promotion and Tony Robbins persona is too much.


I started getting relentless emails about signing up for his program to teach you to start a podcast and make a six-figure revenue stream from it and blah blah blah. It was in the order of thousands of dollars to sign up for even the lowest level of program, and apparently there was no shortage of people willing to take that leap of faith, based on his daily "Congratulations to ______ for taking the next step!!" posts on FB.

Unsubscribed from the FB page and his emails pretty quickly.

Dear God yes, the last time I had an experience like that 3 years later the "teacher master guru blah blah blah" was fined 17million by the SEC and one of his "all in leap of faith" champion "students" went to prison

These people run around the country hosting expensive classes and seminars and that's their true business. You paying $5,000 for a weekend party at a hotel...…..

If it has all the trappings of a cult..... it probably is
Quote Reply