Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironmans 2 weeks apart
Quote | Reply
Looking for a new challenge next year, thinking about doing 2 Ironman races 2 weeks apart. I will be going to each event only to participate and not race. Has anyone else done this?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmans 2 weeks apart [bellau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need to get you in touch w Petr Vabrousek

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmans 2 weeks apart [Zach Ruble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or Bozzone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 4 in 18 weeks and it was about as close together as I'd want them while going hard. 2 weeks after a race my legs feel fine but I still feel the effects in my chest. An IM would definitely feel very uncomfortable. BUT if you go slow in the first one (shoot for around 15 hours if you are an 11 hour racer) then I think it would just feel like your longest training brick day and you'd be completely fine 2 weeks later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bellau wrote:
Looking for a new challenge next year, thinking about doing 2 Ironman races 2 weeks apart. I will be going to each event only to participate and not race. Has anyone else done this?

No, sounds ok if you don't want to do well. I personally would wait between them, I did 2 IMs one year, 2 months apart, and i thought just doing one was better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Curious - if you want a challenge - why not race one and go for it? Really race, lay it out there and see what you can do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in '14. IMLOU was in August back then and IMMOO was two weeks later. I did it to get my ticket to Kona (legacy lottery). I hadn't been training to do two, was training just for IMMOO, but the weather was so nice in July and early August that I thought I would give IMLOU a shot. No dice, rained like crazy, and it got really hot and humid on race day. It all caught up to me on mile 14 of the run and I finished but ended up in the medical tent. Two weeks later IMMOO was a decent day, I thought I paced well, but around the same place on run, mile 14, I was smoked. Sat on a bench next to a sorority house and contemplated what the hell I was doing. Got up and finished it by walking the rest of the way. For me it wasn't about doing two in two weeks but getting the legacy lottery spot, which I did in '16. It can be done but it will leave a mark.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmans 2 weeks apart [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s another option, have never really pushed myself on an Ironman course before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bellau wrote:

I did exactly this in May 2012, IM St. George (full) on 05/12, and IM Texas on 05/19. Actually wasn't bad at all. You are already trained up, and the recovery from the first was only a few days, then just did light recovery runs and spins until the next race.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done them 2 weeks apart. The second one, IMNC, had the bike course cut in half due to weather. The bike felt miserable to me, not sure if it was the wind or fatigue, but the run was a PR IM run for me. I had an 8 min run PR on a run course that I thought was kinda tough compared to some of the other IMs that I’ve done. I think my bike would have been 20-30 minutes slower than normal had it been 112. I went all out on the first one, with no real intentions on the second one.

Quote | Reply
Taugen wrote:
bellau wrote:

I did exactly this in May 2012, IM St. George (full) on 05/12, and IM Texas on 05/19. Actually wasn't bad at all. You are already trained up, and the recovery from the first was only a few days, then just did light recovery runs and spins until the next race.

StG in 2012 was May 5. The few. The proud.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmans 2 weeks apart [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
Taugen wrote:
bellau wrote:

StG in 2012 was May 5. The few. The proud.

Ian

Yes, you are correct on that date of St. George. My stupid fingers hit the wrong numbers. Yes, THE FEW, THE PROUD who got thru that swim and then onto the bike. It was definitely a wild race.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be quite a feat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing this. Raced IMMD last weekend, and also doing Louisville next weekend. This week has consisted of a few Bike sessions with some intensity built in, but short duration. Runs have been easy and not longer than 30 min. First run was 5 days after IMMD. Overall, legs haven't felt too bad this week. The week leading up to Maryland was horrible. I had some IT band/Glute/Quad issues which really affected me mostly on the Bike race day. Hopefully, things continue in a positive direction this week leading into Louisville and I can have a pain free race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmans 2 weeks apart [KONO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck, let me know how it goes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bellau wrote:

Ill be racing Louisville this weekend after racing Chattanooga a week ago. I finished Chattanooga on Sunday, took Monday off, swam Tuesday, then back into normal training by Wednesday/Thursday. Trained hard late last week and going to work hard through tomorrow, then rest again. We will see how it goes.

I'll follow up next week. Also, trying to race these two races at a very high level.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally like to improve my performance from one race to the next. In your case that would be unlikely, so what’s the point? You’re not getting better in two weeks. There’s also a chance you suffer an injury or bonk in one of the races. Such a result would be questionable in my opinion.

I think you should do as the other poster suggested and lay it all out there on one race. See what you can really do.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmans 2 weeks apart [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
bellau wrote:

Ill be racing Louisville this weekend after racing Chattanooga a week ago. I finished Chattanooga on Sunday, took Monday off, swam Tuesday, then back into normal training by Wednesday/Thursday. Trained hard late last week and going to work hard through tomorrow, then rest again. We will see how it goes.

I'll follow up next week. Also, trying to race these two races at a very high level.

I did Chattanooga also and am considering Louisville. I don't know when registration closes but was still open this morning. I need to decide by tonight. There was no swim at Chattanooga. For a variety of reasons I didn't bike real hard, walked through aid stations and up the steeper hills. I wasn't happy with my effort at all because I've trained more/harder than ever. (Sub 11, no swim)I seem to feel pretty good and like the weather forecast for Sunday. I'm 58 and would like to go around 11. Thoughts anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironmans 2 weeks apart [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the same, but things did not go well in TX as I ended up in the ER after passing out at mile 20... the docs said I was likely at 80% recovery, and still dehydrated to some degree before I even started TX.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply