Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman training helpā€¦12 months to go.
Quote | Reply
I have just signed up to do my first Ironman in Sept 2019 (Wales) and decided to follow the Don Fink Competitive plan which would start around mid-February. However I am looking for some advice on what to do before the plan actually starts.

Generally I normally do around 8 to 10 hours most weeks of swim bike run and have completed various Sprint and Olympic distance races. My swim and run are both OK but feel as though my bike would benefit from some extra work, especially as the course is fairly hilly ā€“ total elevation is 2200m.

At the moment I am looking to do 2 x 1hr swim sessions, 2 x 1hr runs and then 6 hrs total on the bike until Feb. However Iā€™m not sure what would yield the greatest benefit for those 6 hoursā€¦at the moment I am debating between 3 optionsā€¦
  1. Lots of Zone 2 training on the turbo.
  2. Follow Trainer Road ā€“ sweet spot base (mid vol) training plan to try and increase my FTP.
  3. Mix of Z2 training, sweet spot base and a hilly ride once per week outside.

Any advice or suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman training helpā€¦12 months to go. [Rico24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are using TR why not just follow their Ironman Base plan. Then repeat once you actually get to the ā€œstartā€ of training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read: Triathlon Training Bible (4th Edition), I'm on Chapter 13 and it should lay out a lot of stuff if you're coaching yourself like I am.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your plan include strength training sessions? If not, add that, more so in the time before the build then reduce as you get into it.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman training helpā€¦12 months to go. [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, Wales is AMAZING. I have raced it (very generous use of the word ā€˜racedā€™), and spectated it twice. Wow, what an atmosphere all day long!!!

12 months, for me, is a very long time to keep focus. I like to do fun stuff in the off season, and this year that means lots of cycling, without structure. Last year I did lots of long slow trail runs and had a great time.

If you want to actually start your structured training 51 weeks out from Wales then I would agree with the broad suggestion mentioned above to extend the base period. The bigger the base, the stronger the foundation you have to build on when it starts getting to the really active part of the training plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick with TR and jack your FTP up as high as you can get it before the plan starts...A rising tide floats all boats...or something like that

Running two hours a week in two sessions is kinda dumb..with all due respect :-)

Take the mileage you're running in your two sessions, add 10% and run 5 days a week to hit that total. Go from there.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman training helpā€¦12 months to go. [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learn to love riding hills and running hills, lots of hills, hills everywhere. Wales is very hilly!

also, learn to love riding in wind and rain...

It's an awesome race though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12mo is a long time.

I'd plan backwards keeping in mind that if you're fit you really only need 6-12 weeks of specific prep for an IM. Get in an off season, develop a plan to get you fit and to that 6-12 week mark then focus on the specifics

Starting to focus on it now is ridiculous.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Brian/Desert Dude said...

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Wales in 2014 and consider it the hardest course I have done to date. The bike is killer!

If your swim and run are better comparatively to your bike right now - spend your time improving your bike. Sweet spot and threshold work on the trainer, hills and more hills on the road. Once you hit the fink plan cross your fingers that you have improved your bike to the point its your strength not your weakness.

Good luck :-)

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply