Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman summer 2021: 10hr a week plan?
Quote | Reply
I've done the individual elements of an Ironman, but understand stringing them together takes a fair bit more commitment to training. As time is already slipping away, can anyone suggest where i can get such a plan? I can't find one that seems right for me online. 1 off payment to a coach for a plan, then check in 6 months later to review where i am? Where do i find a coach? (Live SW London)

Constraints and possible positives are:
  • Limited time (kids and work) - 10hrs a week sounds best i could aim for
  • 11 mile commute. Hoping i can use this to take care of running element, then could add in swim
  • Cycling would likely be turbo, some Richmond Park and longer evening rides in summer.
  • Never been great with data. I liked perceived effort training in old sufferfest vids i used to do

I have a pretty road bike (custom light steel) - i would plan to look into tri-bars, rather than a time trial bike. Silly idea?

Appreciate any pointers how to get going!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman summer 2021: 10hr a week plan? [willtrainlater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you do depends on your budget. Plenty of spare income then get a coach (find one that friends/club mates recommend). A bit less cash then go for an off the shelf plan based on RPE (check out training peaks). Finally little or no spare cash then hunt fee plans off the web. Try ‘triathlete.com’, I think there is a 10 hour per week plan on there.
Re your commute, yes definitely use it. Running home Part way or, when you are fit enough, all the way will help save time. Use the commute to get two bike sessions in too, maybe easy ride to work then a longer ride home with intervals etc. Long rides at the weekend. Try to swim with a group if possible too, for help with technique especially. Ten hours consistent training is enough to finish an Ironman, enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training Peaks has a lot of great plans. Obviously a coach would be better, but a plan would get you 90% of the way there.

With 10hrs per week, you should be fine. Especially if you can squeeze in a coupler longer ~15hr weeks with long rides/runs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the plans on Matt Dixon book. It's based on perceived effort and offers a lot of flexibility.

https://www.amazon.com/...Course/dp/1937715744
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman summer 2021: 10hr a week plan? [Jonny89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonny89 wrote:
I like the plans on Matt Dixon book. It's based on perceived effort and offers a lot of flexibility.

https://www.amazon.com/...Course/dp/1937715744

+1 here for sure for HIM/IM distance.

He has prebuilt plans in the 9-12 hr range and up, but the whole point of is book is to be able to appropriately modify those plans to fit YOUR life. He is completely against the 'fit your life into the plan' approach, favoring long-term sustainability and enjoyment and good rest/recovery as a top priority.

I actually used his HIM plan for an Oly last year, with decreased volume on the longer weekend workouts, and really enjoyed the variety and structure. I actually enjoyed NOT using erg mode on my trainer, felt much more adaptable to my fluctuating fitness and recovery state.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman summer 2021: 10hr a week plan? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

He has prebuilt plans in the 9-12 hr range and up, but the whole point of is book is to be able to appropriately modify those plans to fit YOUR life. He is completely against the 'fit your life into the plan' approach, favoring long-term sustainability and enjoyment and good rest/recovery as a top priority.

I agree with this.

Q and A with my sister... copy/paste

Q. Do you have any tips for someone who is about to do their first Ironman?

A. Everyone's situation and goals are different so not all tips apply for everyone. The biggest thing that worked for me was to study lots of training plans, read lots of triathlon forums, ask lots of questions, and then make my own training plan that fits my abilities, lack of abilities, and family's schedule.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman summer 2021: 10hr a week plan? [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ten hours consistent training is enough to finish an Ironman, enjoy!

Yes.

There are some variables here - mostly what sort of back ground does the athlete have? Are they starting training from scratch? . . .etc . .

But yes 10 hrs a week CONSISTENTLY for 6 months plus, should be good. The consistency is key - that is the BIG fall-down for many.

I like the commuting for training - much more beneficial than people realize. Many are mistaken that there is all this extra special, specific even secret training you need to be doing. The reality is much simplier - just get time in however you can! That's what it is all about.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much everyone. I've ordered Matt Dixon's book.

Started looking into training peaks (if you filter for training plans by criteria, how do you know if the plan is any good?.. Do i just pick the cheap one?)

Current plan is to slowly build up multi-discipline training, without much / any structure to get an idea of what i could consistently manage - with the intention of more structured plan from this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman summer 2021: 10hr a week plan? [Jonny89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, to Matt Dixon's book. "Fast Track Triathlete." RPE, and adjustability to workouts based on available time, and fatigue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is a half (Sardinia) in October a well timed target? i.e. gives me some focus now. A target before winter 20-21 and time to ramp up volume before summer July 2021 (considering Austria)?

Thanks
Quote Reply