Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman spectator VIP
Quote | Reply
Good morning slow twitch. I am new to the forum, So I apologize if I was unable to find a thread about this topic already.

Wondering if anyone has any insight or reviews of the Ironman Spectator VIP packages? Can’t seem to find much online about it. I am doing IMWI this fall and considering bucking up for a little extra accommodation for my wife and 2 kiddos but confused as to what is so special about the VIP program? I did email Ironman VIP but haven’t heard back as of yet. Looks like all they would really get is access to a food tent all day and possibly some special porta-johns?
From spectating and volunteering at IMWI in the past I know there is a lot of options for viewing this event around Madison and the buses are a great option to go to the Verona loop but the VIP program sorta sounds like they will take your family around wherever they want to go but I can’t imagine it truly is the case.
Any insight on this would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman spectator VIP [bjorvikj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We’ve used it a couple times (granted always got it for free from different ways - friend cant go, etc) but it’s good if your family doesn’t want to arrive at the start and wants decent parking (assuming parking is an issue). My 2 year old isn’t going to make it from 6am to the end. Grandparents take him down closer to start of run. They get quick parking. Also get a relatively nice mug and the special access locations can be good - like at Haines City in the downpour they were under the big tent with their own set of porta johns and food/water. Nothing extravagant but nice with the little one. I wouldn’t do it if I was watching solo and not sure I’d be willing to pay for what is offered but if I can ever snag one for free you bet I want it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different races offer different things. One example, Buffalo springs 70.3 would take the VIPs out on a motorcycle to catch up with "your" athlete on the bike course. In general it's really nice for parking, all day coffee, drinks, snacks, food, etc. They also provide a shaded viewing area near the finish line which is really nice for hot races. The IM staff will help VIPs track athletes and explain when to expect them, where. Some of the races I've spectated I'd happily pay for the VIP just for the cold drinks and shade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some events have better things than others, even at the same ridiculous prices. However, if you can afford it, it is certainly situational. My wife is an avid runner and has a cat-like ability to nap anywhere in any position so it's senseless for her. My mother is close to retirement, enjoys watching people suffer with a glass of wine and some tortilla chips (classy, I know), can't be in the sun for more than 10-15 minutes and easily gets knee pain just standing around. I'd pay $500 for her to be more comfortable, easily.

I do think that each event page with it's descriptions of what a VIP gets is the best bet you can do as they do customize it for what they can offer at the event. The only consistent thing across all events is a special tent with food and drink.

A look at IMWI site shows the complete list of what they get, two things that may not be as apparent if you've never been are the bike course viewing (if the family has the energy to get out there instead of napping) and the tent at the top of Monona terrace to view the swim. I think my wife said she got through the crowd to get a spot to view from the top but I guess it can be crowded so if your family doesn't want to deal with that, it would be worth it. It is a pretty cool thing to see the whole swim course from the top of the terrace. Oooh and charging stations, I heard the staff does help with athlete tracking.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman spectator VIP [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful information. Being that Madison is a pretty spectator friendly course as is we are going to opt to just rough it. The hotel is half a mile from Monona Terrace and my parents, wife and kiddos all plan to drive the country roads to different spots on the bike course anyways so we might as well save the $255 for gas and extra snacks. Or some new shoes... 🤔
I could totally see the benefits in some other venues but Madison seems to have a vast array of options to figure things out on the go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it was 100% worth it when I bought it to use in in port elizabeth last September. When the weather got ugly it was a place for them to relax; we had a 6-month old at the time so this was a life saver. Plus they had a huge spread of good food, hot chocolate, wine, etc. and they go to watch me cross the finish line fairly close up.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply