Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman snubs Chrissie
Quote | Reply
So Ironman post a video with Mike Reilly

"Mike Reilly takes a look back at the fiercest women to compete in the IRONMAN World Championship."

Chrissie doesn't make the cut.

Really ?

She tweets

"As much as I never competed for public acclaim it’s a real punch in the gut not to have been included in this list."

I have only been following this sport 12 years now, but I think Chrissie is the most inspiring athlete I have seen.

Very poor form Ironman.

Ps : triathlete mag is running a poll....I just voted
https://www.triathlete.com/...-of-kona-the-finals/

Last edited by: marcag: Oct 10, 20 6:00
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman not liking her support of Challenge and so cutting her out maybe ?

Or just dumb ass marketeers who don't want to recognise it's not all about American and German athletes + the token Ozzie ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fiercest is a weird naame for the category cos they picked smiley people and people that didnt actually want to do an ironman

Chrissie is in the intro but to say "did anyone compete with a smile and win" thats definately a rub... Could be political

Jones is a class champion with olympic gold too but the narrative in the film made her seem more apathetic than fierce

Can't argue with pnf .. fierce to the nth... she carved the way, set the record for 16 years, raced amongst the men, and crawled to the podium and blazed the competition to 7 titles
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Oct 11, 20 23:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. That’s bad

No Ryf either?

Other than PNF who did make the list ?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/.../1314505892700790784

Ryf, Rinny, PNF, Badmann....everyone but....
Last edited by: marcag: Oct 10, 20 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the turnover on the forum I'd be willing to bet at least 30% of readers are asking who's Chrissie?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chrissie is the current Roth recordholder and 4 konas.

Michele (1 kona) and Erin (2 konas) are phenomenal athletes too, though erin was also famous for fierce political stances

https://www.triathlete.com/...bel-without-a-cause/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
https://twitter.com/.../1314505892700790784

Ref, Rinny, PNF, Badmann....everyone but....

Certainly agree Wellington should have been mentioned, but, as lacticturkey mentioned, she is shown in the video in the very beginning right after the shot of Ryf on the bike.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 10, 20 10:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly IM doesn't like athletes who:
1. win Roth
2. are into forming unions
3. call out IM leadership on their bullshit unequal Kona slot allocation

marcag wrote:

"Mike Reilly takes a look back at the fiercest women to compete in the IRONMAN World Championship."

Really ?

She tweets

"As much as I never competed for public acclaim it’s a real punch in the gut not to have been included in this list."

I have only been following this sport 12 years now, but I think Chrissie is the most inspiring athlete I have seen.

Very poor form Ironman.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Really ?

She tweets

Very poor form Ironman.

She should totally be in there but kind of a gutless amateur video anyway, it just has no rhythm and Reilly sounds like is reading it off a cue card as he goes.

They knew Kona wasn't happening for awhile, maybe they could have put together some quality content. TC's videos are a million times more engaging.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
With the turnover on the forum I'd be willing to bet at least 30% of readers are asking who's Chrissie?

....and you can be sure even more don't know who Natascha Badmann is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Indeed, an unbelievable omission. However, even when dominating she was not known outside of what was a much smaller niche of people following Ironman than today. I wonder if she fell into the time gap between the initial 'build the sport' ironwars book type era athletes and today's instagram sponsorship social media pros (not being critical here at all).

The relatively low UK participation in Ironman at the time wouldn't have helped.

But, taking all that into account, MR is still a cock for missing her off the list, even if it was an Ironman junior marketing minion that prepared the list and stuck it in front of him at the same time as the camerastarted rolling.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM should just admit their mistake/oversight, beg for forgiveness, and put this to bed. Funny that hasn’t happened.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
Clearly IM doesn't like athletes who:
1. win Roth
2. are into forming unions
3. call out IM leadership on their bullshit unequal Kona slot allocation

They are like a f*cking child. So immature and stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
marcag wrote:
But, taking all that into account, MR is still a cock for missing her off the list, even if it was an Ironman junior marketing minion that prepared the list and stuck it in front of him at the same time as the camerastarted rolling.

He's also an overrated cock. Paul Kaye is a vastly better announcer.

And to the point, wasn't Chrissie UNDEFEATED at the Ironman distance? Fierce is winning Kona two weeks after a serious bike crash, torn pectoral and intercostal muscles, and road rash up and down her body. Mike Reilly owes her a serious apology.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know squat about Ironman athletes but I know who Chrissie is.

If there's an IM show about the ladies, she should be included. She brought women's racing to a new level, the ladies are as good as they are now because of her.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it comes to the GOAT for IM I've seen compelling cases for PNF and Chrissie and not really for anyone else (Ryf might get there, but not yet). She's the top 1 or 2, no way she shouldn't be on that list; especially over athletes like Jones who was a dominant Oly distance force, but not nearly so at IM.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
desert dude wrote:

In the triathlete Mag's poll readers voted Rinny ahead of Natascha in their quarter final, perhaps a reflection of not knowing who she is (because there's no way Rinny should beat Natascha out).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two of the nicest ladies I have met over many years.....until Race Day. They then both became cunning, fierce, relentless competitors!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
desert dude wrote:

In the triathlete Mag's poll readers voted Rinny ahead of Natascha in their quarter final, perhaps a reflection of not knowing who she is (because there's no way Rinny should beat Natascha out).

Pretty common for these types of polls to exhibit a recency bias. As you mentioned, some people don't know who some of the earlier winners were; others forget just how amazing those performances were in context (while it takes a sub-9 to win these days, PNFs 9:01 in 1988 was otherworldly).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jones is a SILVER medalist, no gold ;)

PNF allegedly won 8 times. Should have a few asterisk next to some of them. Just saying.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [thejoey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, youre right, silver.... I thought there was a drugs test that relagated her to gold later but the drugs test was years later and aussie media being speculative

Even more of a mystery then. They had enough multiple winners spanning generations
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [thejoey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually MJ did win Gold to go along with her silver, the gold being as a guide/team-mate in Paralympic in Rio.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is all just weird, and kind of a really dumb gimmick.

It's also really dumb since she was a part of the the Ironman VR stuff and gave Ironman 30 minutes of her time over the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRoolr8Zy7U

She has an OBE, sure she'll get over it pretty fast.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman snubs Chrissie [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1)PNF (8)
2)Natasha (6)
3) Chrissie (4)
4) Daniella (4)
5) Rinny (3)
6)Lori Bowden (2)

Just my 2 cents, but Natasha definitely should be up there for her grit and consistency, Chrissie came on the scene and crushed everyone and left the door open for Rinny when she retired to take over with her running to win from behind. Now Daniella is crushing it and could continue for a few more years if she stays healthy. Lori Bowden needs to be added with 2 wins and 4 second place finishes and her wonky running stride. But Chrissie was definitely a machine and ushered in the consistent sub 9 at the IMWC.
Quote Reply

Prev Next