Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman slots on eBay?!
Quote | Reply
Since about 10 years I train my brains out with this Ironman stuff. And the ultimate goal for most age-group triathletes is to go to the Ironman World Championchips in Hawaii.
And now you can take a shortcut and buy your ticket on eBay?
This is so wrong!
I think they can do whatever they want at the WTC and we just take it and swallow. As triathletes we are used to absorb hard things in order to become stronger but that might just be too rough for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman slots on eBay?! [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to America.... You can buy ANYTHING here. I had a girlfriend once who didn't like the body she was born with. $8000 later she is a happy girl. I know some people who couldn't have children. A few thousand bucks later they have a little bundle of joy. Want to be an astronaut without a master's from MIT? Strike it rich in software and buy your way onto a Mir Russian space mission. Want to climb Everest? It's $65K but no guarantees you'll live. Remember the guy who offered Britney Spears several million dollars for her virginity? The only thing you can't buy is something that's already gone.... Like Britney Spears the Ironman spirit is now a business. My advice: Do the Marathon Des Sables. It's still a real race, not a sideshow to the highest bidder.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman slots on eBay?! [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not really a shortcut- there has been a lottery associated with Hawaii nearly as long (or as long?) as it has been the world championship. Getting in through the lottery just required money and luck- now they've eliminated the luck variable and gone straight to the money. I don't think anyone that knows anything at all about the sport would equate qualifying for the race and getting in through the lottery- they are two completely different achievements. For my part, I am going to keep bustin my ass triin to qualify. If I were handed a lottery slot free of charge, I don't think I would take it. Someday maybe I would take it, but not until I know I can't get in the hard way.

Also, I am pretty sure that the money raised is going towards building a new YMCA, which is a worthy cause in my mind. With opening bids starting at $10,000!! this auction alone might fund the building.

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman slots on eBay?! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Welcome to America.... You can buy ANYTHING here. I had a girlfriend once who didn't like the body she was born with. $8000 later she is a happy girl.[/reply]

I know. But that doesn't make it less sick in my eyes. You work har on that bar to get that babe back home into your cosy room. You talk all night about stuff you have no idea about, you'd prefer to talk with your buddies about what gears to put on for IMC but no, you're working hard to get that girl. You finally do and then you touch plastic. Disappointed, no? Well for some it's still a keeper, not for me and it's the same with IM slots.
Very disapointing to me but I do know that this is part of the american lifestyle and I'm not trying to change it.

But with that kind of moves, the WTC move their event away from being a dream for a lot of people out there and events like Roth or the Great Floridian will emerge strong in the years to come!
Quote Reply