Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman clothing options?
Quote | Reply
Going to do my first Ironman in Wisconsin. Wondering, I probaly will be able to wear wetsuit and would have regular cycling shorts on underneath with some lub on as well. Wear those plus regular jersey on bike and would change in to tri shorts for run.?

Any thoughts or what do you do?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman clothing options? [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what I have done: Sleevless bike jsersy, well fit (i.e. snug for aero)under wetsuit with speedo style tri-briefs (padded crotch) AND tri shorts over that. All worn under wetsuit. Wetsuit comes off, stuff goes in your back pockets, off you go on the bike. Between the tri brief and the tri shorts you have pleanty of padding. Then, at T2 bike to run, loose the tri shorts and switch to a running/triathlon singlet with some very little pockets. Wear a fule belt or very, very small fanny pack. So you're running in the brief and the fresh tri singlet. Less fabric = less heat and less weight when it soaked with water (and piss) during the run, especially if it gets hot.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep it simple - DeSoto one piece. Start in it, finish in it. If you go two piece, wear BOTH under your wetsuit - trying to put on a close fitting top over a wet torso is not at all easy - and it's gonna get wet anyway.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember the early days of tri. I wasn't a participant in the sport back then, but I remember watching them on TV racing only wearing speedos and with no tops. There was no extra padding in the suits back then so those guys really were "iron men".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the two ironman races that I have done I've worn a Rip N Hammer long course singlet and formula multishorts under my wetsuit and just kept them on for the entire race. They are comfortable (I still like two pieces over one) and functional for the entire day.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman clothing options? [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, what if you have to pull a high-speed number 2 on the run (or worse yet, during the bike?). That's why I like two pieces for IM distance. One piece for everything else.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman clothing options? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAHA! Yeah, that IS a good point. Reminds me of my Great Floridian story...I was wearing the one piece and I almost didn't make it. I had the thing unzipped and pulled to my waist as soon as I saw the "Great Green Plastic Temple" in the distance, all at a full sprint. If the "rest stop" would have been occupied it would have been all over.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman clothing options? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here's what I have done: Sleevless bike jsersy, well fit (i.e. snug for aero)under wetsuit with speedo style tri-briefs (padded crotch) AND tri shorts over that. All worn under wetsuit. Wetsuit comes off, stuff goes in your back pockets, off you go on the bike. Between the tri brief and the tri shorts you have pleanty of padding. Then, at T2 bike to run, loose the tri shorts and switch to a running/triathlon singlet with some very little pockets. Wear a fule belt or very, very small fanny pack. So you're running in the brief and the fresh tri singlet. Less fabric = less heat and less weight when it soaked with water (and piss) during the run, especially if it gets hot.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman clothing options? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, speedo with no top. I've done that in several Olys (but I couldn't even think of doing it for even a half-IM). In fact, the only consideration I made for weather was to add a light singlet if it was cool. Served me pretty well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend a complete clothing change for the run. I did my only IM in the same Desoto shorts and top. With all the lake water, sweat, and pee those clothes were getting pretty clammy on the run. I remember my envy as I started the run with another guy in nice fresh running shorts and singlet. It just looked so much more comfortable than the stuff I had already been in for eight hours. And lets face it taking your time (within reason) in T2 will only help you, a little extra time spent changing will reap big benefits on the run.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 7 IM's including three Hawaiis'. For IM length races I've found a two piece to be much more manageable. It's a long day out there and you want as much flexibility in your apparrel as possible without sacrificing comfort. Yeah, some go with a speedo/aero top combo, but it's pretty chancy in terms of sunburn and chafing. Also, put on socks after the swim and wear a hat on the run. I did do two IM's in one piecers and it was really a hassle when I had to piddle. Hawaii is a more difficult choice due to the non wet suit swim and super hot/humid bike and run.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman clothing options? [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did WI last year wore wetsuit with Desoto shorts and slowtwitch tri top.

lost wetsuit had shorts and top on underneath, took running belt and was off.

No socks for bike, never have never will, dont blister chaff and I am more comfortable without socks.

Run, threw clean running shorts over the desoto and took my long sleeve bike top, dont know the material, similar to lycra.

This was key as I was fine until 20 miles in to the run, felt ok, ended up walking but when i got to the finish line I felt fine but it turns out I was freezing, really very cold and the long sleeve top tied around my waist turned out to be key.
Quote Reply