Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [Jhamlet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the apprehension of newbies or those who have never swam in an ocean, but sweet Jesus, it is an Ironman. Its not supposed to be 'easy'. No offense, but if you picked Oceanside as your first tri and you are nervous about your open water swimming skills, then you made a poor decision.

If you can swim 1.2 miles then you'll be fine. We'll all be there at least a day before...go check out the entry. Put on your suit and get acclimated to the water, temp, salt and tempo of the waves. Take 30min to learn to dive under incoming waves. At most you'll have to dive under 2-3 breaks, then swim over rollers to the turn. Some of you are cramming too much fear into 150 yards.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember both those races! Oceanside was my first full in 2000, I
am looking forward to coming back to where it all began! Beach start will be fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These days they have wave height models and predictors so its never a surprise when the surf is high. If its predicted to be big they will know at least 3 or 4 days ahead. The problem is that they will end up with a 2-4ft forecast that ends with "occasional overhead sets possible" and this will cause it to be cancelled when if fact it ends up being a normal 2-3 ft day.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This course will be a lot of fun as long as they let us actually do the swim!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimmers, divers and surfers know, you can look at surfline all day but until you go look at the water you won't know if it's swimmable, surfable or diveable. Until I drive down and look all bets are off, whether I'm looking for glass or waves

I've had many shore dives planned that the models said should be good that were bailed on as too sketchy. I've had many days where magic seaweed says 3-5 and it's 2 foot at the beach...

Regardless of anything though, overall i don't think this is good for the race. Swim will get cancelled - guaranteed - and ST will go ballistic at all the "pussies" that can't swim
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jan 15, 18 14:52
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will come in handy closer to the race-

Surf forecasting source and live video feed of Oceanside beach, enjoy the link below: http://www.surfline.com/...ern-california_4238/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
I understand the apprehension of newbies or those who have never swam in an ocean, but sweet Jesus, it is an Ironman. Its not supposed to be 'easy'. No offense, but if you picked Oceanside as your first tri and you are nervous about your open water swimming skills, then you made a poor decision.

If you can swim 1.2 miles then you'll be fine. We'll all be there at least a day before...go check out the entry. Put on your suit and get acclimated to the water, temp, salt and tempo of the waves. Take 30min to learn to dive under incoming waves. At most you'll have to dive under 2-3 breaks, then swim over rollers to the turn. Some of you are cramming too much fear into 150 yards.
So a student goes to class and the professor says "I have an exam for you today". The student looks at the professor, thinking that, had he known there would be an exam, he could have studied for it, but he wasn't offered that option. The professor sees the confused student and says "But sweet Jesus, college is not supposed to be easy. No offense but if you picked this class and can't pass the exam, you made a poor decision. "
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

So a student goes to class and the professor says "I have an exam for you today". The student looks at the professor, thinking that, had he known there would be an exam, he could have studied for it, but he wasn't offered that option. The professor sees the confused student and says "But sweet Jesus, college is not supposed to be easy. No offense but if you picked this class and can't pass the exam, you made a poor decision. "

I guess you never had a prof who administered pop quizs?

So you’re surprised an ocean swim might actually include swimming in the ocean? You analogy might hold up if Oceanside was advertised as a lake swim then moved to an ocean swim. Or if the RD made it a beach start AND finish, but geez, you’ll have to dive under 3 sets, swim over 2 or 3 rollers then make your way into a protected harbor. If you signed up for an Ironman that has an ocean swim be prepared to swim in the ocean.

The real danger is coming in when there is rough surf. Getting out there is easy. Coming in and getting caught by set can really knock your block off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:

So you’re surprised an ocean swim might actually include swimming in the ocean? You analogy might hold up if Oceanside was advertised as a lake swim then moved to an ocean swim. .

Here, here, applause!!!

That's exactly what happened. The race has been a swim in a protected harbor ever since it was a 70.3, it has been advertised as such, the course map at time of registration showed it to be a harbor swim, I have done it 4-5 times, always as a harbor swim. The change to a swim with ocean start was only communicated on their website since this week (yesterday) - it has not even been communicated to participants yet officially.

This is not the same as adding a hill (or 5 hills) on the run or bike because "it's supposed to be hard" - this is about adding an element that requires an additional skill and not mastering that skill could make it an increased safety risk. With the change being announced in Winter and close to the race itself, it means undoubtedly some people will not get the opportunity to work in this new skill in time, hence there is a significant risk for those people. Remember people are coming from not just the California coast but probably from 30+ different states, many of which don't have a coast line.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

So you’re surprised an ocean swim might actually include swimming in the ocean? You analogy might hold up if Oceanside was advertised as a lake swim then moved to an ocean swim. .

Here, here, applause!!!

That's exactly what happened. The race has been a swim in a protected harbor ever since it was a 70.3, it has been advertised as such, the course map at time of registration showed it to be a harbor swim, I have done it 4-5 times, always as a harbor swim. The change to a swim with ocean start was only communicated on their website since this week (yesterday) - it has not even been communicated to participants yet officially.

This is not the same as adding a hill (or 5 hills) on the run or bike because "it's supposed to be hard" - this is about adding an element that requires an additional skill and not mastering that skill could make it an increased safety risk. With the change being announced in Winter and close to the race itself, it means undoubtedly some people will not get the opportunity to work in this new skill in time, hence there is a significant risk for those people. Remember people are coming from not just the California coast but probably from 30+ different states, many of which don't have a coast line.

Yes, a harbor. That opens to the ocean. The turn in the old course was at the mouth of the harbor, and depending on what was happening in the surf you could get some rollers and current out there. It’s nature, not a pool. You should be comfortable swimming in open water if you’re going to do an open water tri, especially if it is part of an ocean....even if inside a harbor.

IM Corp should have better communicated the change. But it’s 4 months away...start those dolphin diving reps at the pool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Benv wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

Here, here, applause!!!

Yes, a harbor. That opens to the ocean. The turn in the old course was at the mouth of the harbor, and depending on what was happening in the surf you could get some rollers and current out there. It’s nature, not a pool. You should be comfortable swimming in open water if you’re going to do an open water tri, especially if it is part of an ocean....even if inside a harbor.

IM Corp should have better communicated the change. But it’s 4 months away...start those dolphin diving reps at the pool!
Stop it. That line of argument does not hold water.

And the race is less than 3 months away.... in the winter. WTF are people supposed to do now? Buy a ticket to Hawaii to practice the swim?!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
anthonypat wrote:
Benv wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

Here, here, applause!!!

Stop it. That line of argument does not hold water.

And the race is less than 3 months away.... in the winter. WTF are people supposed to do now? Buy a ticket to Hawaii to practice the swim?!

A beach start is not that crazy. There are dozens of tris up and down the west coast, many full of new swimmers and they can complete the swim, I'm sure you guys can too. You're only psyching yourselves out...its not the north shore of Oahu!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the biggest point is the race change should have been communicated from the start when people were signing up, not less than 3 months from race day--in the Winter. Everyone should have the chance to be as prepared as possible, and make good choices when choosing their race. All in all, it probably won't be that big of a deal, but people will be unprepared, and the swim is where people die in tris. I don't think people are complaining it's too hard, just that we all want to feel like we did the best preparation possible.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Jan 16, 18 0:51
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe one or two sessions are enough, maybe not. Not everyone who signed up will have the capability to go and learn between now and race day. This isn’t about it being ‘hard’ and people finding it unfair towards those that can practice, it’s more about a safety concern towards themselves. Given the switch was made after the race was sold out, if something happens it’s bound to become a major liability issue for WTC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's stupid. I live in LA and swim in the ocean every other week year around - and I can tell you that no amount of pool reps will prep you for going under the big sets near San Diego. The waves there tend to be come at a very frequency between the sets and the entry is oftentimes harder than it is in say Zuma or Venice or Redondo which is where most people end up doing their ocean swims It is more of a mental thing than the physical skill, you just need to be comfortable with it, and someone from the MidWest or even Florida won't like it.

I agree with what @ChrisM said - the swim is likely to be cancelled if the surf gets big. That's a bummer - finally my schedule allowed me to do Oceanside in 2018, I sign up and they do this.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Digging up this old thread . . . I assume you can practice swim off the same beach where the start is in the day or two leading up to the race?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman changes swim course for IM 70.3 Oceanside [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, it is a regular public beach there, and used by a lot of surfers as there is usually a decent wave there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next