Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman With High Blood Pressure
Quote | Reply
Training for IM Texas and found my blood pressure a little higher each time I took it. Have been doing tris for about 20 and marathons before that and BP has never been an issue. So, the question is: Do any of you guys do this kind of stuff with high blood pressure and with BP meds? (They put me on a 10mg medication)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman With High Blood Pressure [md1243] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
md1243 wrote:
Training for IM Texas and found my blood pressure a little higher each time I took it. Have been doing tris for about 20 and marathons before that and BP has never been an issue. So, the question is: Do any of you guys do this kind of stuff with high blood pressure and with BP meds? (They put me on a 10mg medication)

Simple answer is it really should not be a major issue but that is based on a number of assumptions. More information that would be useful includes:
1. Sex
2. Age
3. What BP triggered treatment
4. What medication they have put you on
5. Any other major cardiac issues/diabetes etc
6. Weight/height (BMI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on the Internet. That said... Some BP medicines (e.g. diuretics or beta blockers) are generally not a good idea when you are doing endurance athletics. Others (e.g. ACE inhibitors) are generally a better fit. Make sure your doctor knows you are training for an IM.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman With High Blood Pressure [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...yes, I have been prescribed an ACE inhibitor and the doctor knows the story. Have you done ironmen events or triathlons with high blood pressure, treated or untreated with medication?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a physician, but am a Pharmacist. This is not medical advice, but just sharing some thoughts. As mentioned by a previous poster, much more information would be required in order to provide accurate information and insight related to safety. Generally speaking, ACE-inhibitors in and of themselves are relatively safe and should not prevent you from participating in endurance events such as triathlon. Main concern would be to make sure you are properly hydrating, as ACE-I can increase risk of acute kidney injury due to hypoperfusion from dehydration. NSAIDS can also increase this risk if not used appropriately.

Regular aerobic exercise (3-4 sessions per week, 40 min/session) including moderate and vigorous intensity, and resistance training, have both been shown to reduce systolic and diastolic BP over time (2013 AHA/ACC, PMID:24222015) and lifestyle modifications in general are considered the primary basis for treatment of hypertension along with medications (PMID: 30354656). I would consider your training beneficial, as long as you're being smart about it. Hypertension can be managed, but also increases the risk for other cardiovascular diseases and events, so I would definitely recommend you have a very specific conversation with your physician about your training and racing, including intensities or opportunities for stress. You should also ask (if you haven't already) about other underlying issues that could be a cause, especially if the onset it recent and progressive. Focus on getting to your goal BP first, assess your overall risk, and then decide with your MD how racing/Ironman fit into that.
Other things to consider: sodium consumption through your daily diet and training nutrition (electrolyte and carb drinks, salt tabs, etc.), non-training stress such as work, increased travel, etc., alcohol consumption, sleep quality/quantity. Talk with your MD, eat well, exercise and race smart :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you anxious about your race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have HBP that's just baked into my DNA and I take medication. Treat it like anything related to IM training/racing. Take the meds, do your training, take note of anything changes you feel, and adjust accordingly. Hydration would be the likely culprit for any issues. But, if you train and respond to any different/changed nutritional needs prior to your race, you'll be just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman With High Blood Pressure [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, understand about DNA predisposition. Good to know you have managed this. thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
md1243 wrote:
Yes, understand about DNA predisposition. Good to know you have managed this. thanks

Another triathlete with high blood pressure here. Couple of things...make sure you stay really well hydrated. My BP has been known to plummet when I get more than a little dehydrated while on my meds. Second, try avoiding caffeine for a bit and see if that helps. Some folks have a genetic predisposition to high blood pressure when they take in caffeine.