Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Wisconsin 2018 Bike Course
Quote | Reply
I've done IM WI three times in 2012, 13 and 16. Debating on 2018. Bike course was changed in 16 and 17 due to construction. Anybody know if they are going back to pre-2016 course? Both variations are challenging - but prefer pre-2016 course as I found it much more scenic and, although both courses had some rough roads, more of the roads on the alternate course were in terrible condition.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2018 Bike Course [danpatb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
following
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only one who knows is the Race Director. Email him

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danpatb wrote:
I've done IM WI three times in 2012, 13 and 16. Debating on 2018. Bike course was changed in 16 and 17 due to construction. Anybody know if they are going back to pre-2016 course? Both variations are challenging - but prefer pre-2016 course as I found it much more scenic and, although both courses had some rough roads, more of the roads on the alternate course were in terrible condition.

I think the course is easier to run in the old configuration so if open and locals permit it then I could very well see it going back to the old course. Personally, I would prefer the Messerschmidt side trunk without the hard right turn after over going over the bridge on the way out of the Alliant center.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the construction that caused the change two years ago (on P and then Stagecoach) is all done, so I would bet they go back to the pre-2016 course. Also the merge from Barlow onto Mineral Point seemed incredibly dangerous with loop one and loop two traffic coming together on a high speed downhill. I have heard through the grapevine they want to get rid of Barlow due to that merge. In any event, I would not expect to see the course to be finalized until mid summer at the earliest. The last couple of years they have been pretty late announcing the bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What...... you don’t like walking your bike uphill?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2018 Bike Course [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoping return to original bike course. I'll be 49 for next years race (and in the 50-54 AG)......hoping my wife buys off on letting me make one more run at this one.

Then maybe selling that Trek SC.....of course that posting will not be in Forum, will be in classifieds......don't want to get scolded.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2018 Bike Course [TrekRider68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am planning to ride the Verona loop this weekend. This will be my first time on the course. I plan to ride the 2018 course route and was wondering if any of the roads/county highways are high traffic areas or if I need to alter the route to avoid any dangerous roads without having a dedicated bike lane?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2018 Bike Course [bjorvikj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never felt unsafe on the course. It is generally marked pretty well with arrows on the pavement. Also I have never not seen other riders on the course.....

Have fun and be safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome thank you. So your saying that Even not during race weekend the turns are marked? Like those pavement sticker arrows or signs? I plan to use a GPX file based off my buddies ride last year but signage is always a plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience is there is generally arrows on the roads for the most part. There are coaches and trainers that run groups out there pretty consistently and roads have markings. I have not been out there yet this year, but have never gotten lost in the past.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good, thanks again for the information. Really Looking forward to it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, there are usually green arrows on the course to help you navigate. It's a pretty safe route as most who drive there know it's the course and have dealt with years of people riding. There are a number of spots to replenish water also. If you need anything, let us know!
Quote Reply