Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:

You jumped into an amateur race at the last moment and crossed the line before every non-professional.

I jump into a lot of races that are amateur races, I just don't see your point. I do this all the time as do nearly every pro I know. The difference is that some people seem to believe that Ironman is different, that it is special, and pros shouldn't race. And it wasn't about being anonymous, it was about standing up for myself - I think it takes some courage, maybe you do not. And this is applicable to this forum in general and is a reason why most pros don't bother. This is a valuable site to interact with people and maybe you think I am doing myself a disservice, and maybe I will lose some sponsorship, time will tell and I am willing to take a risk. I can assure you if I lose it all, I will keep going playing this game regardless of whether I am paid to do so or not.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
sentania wrote:
I don't think any amateurs have gone faster than TG went on the day. Properly motivated, I do think that JB or DS could easily go that fast on IMWI at this point in time.

I am not questioning TG's abilities. I know that was faster than any ager time. I believe burke was 9:04.

In that case I was responding to someone who seemed to think no ager ever goes faster at the same race than a pro but I admit I may have read it wrong

There is no question that TG and BB are faster than the ager's in wisconsin. I have a great deal of respect for their abilities

I just no longer respect TG's choices or the way he has chosen to conduct himself over the last 24 hours. Including the real starky podcast he gave today

I really started here just trying to give him a different perspective from the ag ranks. Clearly I have failed as he doesn't get what I am saying. It happens

But now that he has "outed" me from my anonymous status I better proceed to scrub my hard drive etc. know any good IT guys...

Again, I will say this. I think people forget that I did 10+ Ironmans as amateur and spent 6 years as an amateur. I was annihilated by the likes of Daniel Bretscher, Blake Becker,and David Thompson at local Midwest races. I had no problems with them showing up at those races so when you try to say you are showing me perspective I get it, I was an amateur for a long time - it wasn't instant success like many of my peers.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Tricoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X 2! Very ill advised. I hope Base made it right for him, because he severely devalued his small local brand by that act and many of these current postings. It's sad to me, as I like TG, but his ego seems to have won this battle to his detriment. It was a terribly self centered event that really took him a step back.

ironmayb wrote:
sentania wrote:
I don't think any amateurs have gone faster than TG went on the day. Properly motivated, I do think that JB or DS could easily go that fast on IMWI at this point in time.

I am not questioning TG's abilities. I know that was faster than any ager time. I believe burke was 9:04.

In that case I was responding to someone who seemed to think no ager ever goes faster at the same race than a pro but I admit I may have read it wrong

There is no question that TG and BB are faster than the ager's in wisconsin. I have a great deal of respect for their abilities

I just no longer respect TG's choices or the way he has chosen to conduct himself over the last 24 hours. Including the real starky podcast he gave today

I really started here just trying to give him a different perspective from the ag ranks. Clearly I have failed as he doesn't get what I am saying. It happens

But now that he has "outed" me from my anonymous status I better proceed to scrub my hard drive etc. know any good IT guys...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is the one making it personal, I'm not the one pissing on the Internet about not getting my ego stroked......it all about him not getting his back awesome end zone dance. Isn't it?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I apologize if I am making it personal and if you think this is about an end-zone dance. It isn't - but I am going to leave it there and bow out of this thread as the stress levels created are affecting my ability to recover from the race and prepare for my next one. I am not the most talented athlete on the planet, but I will continue to work hard to achieve my own goals of some day winning an Ironman. Thank you for the comments and feedback and please say hi if you see me or my commuter around Tucson.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 15, 15 22:33
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping to hear what happened at the awards ceremony. Did they actually give you the first place award? What happened to the age grouper who was originally to clear the champion?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [wazzup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
X 2! Very ill advised. I hope Base made it right for him, because he severely devalued his small local brand by that act and many of these current postings. It's sad to me, as I like TG, but his ego seems to have won this battle to his detriment. It was a terribly self centered event that really took him a step back.

ironmayb wrote:
sentania wrote:

You and I see it the same way. He doesn't. It's unfortunate. On Sunday night I tried to intervene to give him that perspective. Don't feel like it ever got through

Sometimes there is more to life and triathlon than just the triathlon part
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:

...and I'm not aware that DS recieved anything, no ceremony, no fanfair for winning Steelehead 70.3. Went sub 4 hours the day after racing AG nationals. Won by 10 minutes. In part because it was a wave start so you didn't know that he won. Some 25 year old male I suspect was the 1st across the line, but wasn't within 15 minutes of the eventual winner. No lead bike or motorcycle. That's find for AG racing, but doesn't work well racing for the overall win across multiple age groups. For this reason, I think non mass start races shouldn't recognize an overall winner and should be consistent about it. To make a TT start (rolling start) fair, you'd have to do random starting order... which might work better than people would expect. You would howerver need periodic leader board and some sort of accurate real time timing system.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
You would howerver need periodic leader board and some sort of accurate real time timing system.

And that is no easy feat. Source: I do race timing on the side. I'm not nearly as competent as the guys timing IM type stuff, but I'm pretty capable timing road races and smaller local tris. Real time results would be extremely complicated given the amount of things that can throw results off.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

ironmayb wrote:
sentania wrote:

I will try to conclude my involvement in this thread on a positive note. The thread is about "removing pros from the race". I want to acknowledge some of the local pros around the race this weekend, who didn't need to be removed:

Blake Becker. I appreciate his input into this thread and his blog post re: the race. His contingent of athletes he coaches seems to grow every year. The signs of his athletes near picnic point was creative.

Jackie Hering(sp?): saw her all over the place this weekend. Most impressed at 7pm Sunday. I was heading home at Mile 23 and she was out past Camp Randall actively and individually inspiring one of her coached athletes. Definitely building her brand.

Paul Eicher and Will Smith working the Norma Tec booth and cheering on Mt. Horeb Hill

And as I mentioned earlier in this thread I saw Thomas Brunold assisting a biker with a mechanical within the first 10 miles of the bike ride. While it may have been close to the "outside assistance" line I don't care. I saw a freaked out participant get much needed help. I would like to believe it was a first timer (I bet it was) who was able to finish the race and has no idea they were helped by one of the best and most consistent AGer's at this race the last decade.

Clearly WTC has an issue they need to address on the Pro vs. AG nature of the races. In my view it will now need to be dealt with much like the finish line crossing with family/friends issue and for many of the same reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe this was previously posted, but according to madison.com this morning, WTC has officially declared Rudy the winner.

http://host.madison.com/...5e-d7831821b22a.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is comical. I can't imagine anyone having the time to post 10 pages of comments on ST because he wants to be called an Ironman champ. If you're a pro earn it against other pros, the same way all the other pro IM champs earned it. If you want to be an Ironman champ as an amateur, drop your license! Are you doing this because of your ego or because you want sponsors to recognize you as an IM Champ? Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
highflyer wrote:
Maybe this was previously posted, but according to madison.com this morning, WTC has officially declared Rudy the winner.

\[/url]
The funniest part of the article was where it stated that Gerlach crossed the line first but he knew that he was not the winner!

What a riot.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davearm wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
The rules my be muddled but I think the intent WTC has with these races has been clear since they were announced.

I think WTC's intent was to consolidate more Pro talent at a select few races, versus having the Pro talent diluted at many races.

I don't necessarily agree that there was an intent to have only amateurs at the events without a Pro race.

If that was indeed the intent, then TG should have been turned away on Friday.

x2
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
highflyer wrote:

The real story here is that the women's overall winner is a mother of 5 teenage boys! What? The face she has time to train for an IM is pretty amazing. As a father of 3, I personally feel like HIM is my limit at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you sound any more jealous of TG's Ironman win?....WTC, Rielly, blew this one and did not treat TG as the overall winner he is. They did not follow their OWN rules. I would be embarrassed if I did not have my shit together any better than this.....

If you want to win a race....race!.....and let you results talk. Reading your post you come off as bitter and resentful of TG for winning.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
Could you sound any more jealous of TG's Ironman win?....WTC, Rielly, blew this one and did not treat TG as the overall winner he is. They did not follow their OWN rules. I would be embarrassed if I did not have my shit together any better than this.....

If you want to win a race....race!.....and let you results talk. Reading your post you come off as bitter and resentful of TG for winning.

yes you have it completely right. I am bitter and resentful that TG won. I have it out for TG. I wasn't at all trying to help TG see that he was making a horses ass of himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
Clearly WTC has an issue they need to address on the Pro vs. AG nature of the races. In my view it will now need to be dealt with much like the finish line crossing with family/friends issue and for many of the same reasons.

I don't think that's "clearly" the issue at all. As illustrated up the thread by Colin, WTC's rules for Pros in events without a Pro purse are quite clear.

Seems to me the issue here is that someone on-site took matters into their own hands on Sunday, and made a call to void two racers' results that was inconsistent with WTC's rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davearm wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

I don't think that's "clearly" the issue at all. As illustrated up the thread by Colin, WTC's rules for Pros in events without a Pro purse are quite clear.

Seems to me the issue here is that someone on-site took matters into their own hands on Sunday, and made a call to void two racers' results that was inconsistent with WTC's rules.

fair enough
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davearm wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

And then the athlete took it to social media for debate.
I thought WTC had published guidelines on how the pros would handle these situations outside of social media.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
the stress levels created are affecting my ability to recover from the race and prepare for my next one

Don't become an AGer then ;-)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
the stress levels created are affecting my ability to recover from the race and prepare for my next one

Don't become an AGer then ;-)

I don't think Thomas has tried the, 7:30-5:30PM job, wife, 1-2 kids all the while trying and be an elite amateur experience. I think this what frustrates some about the "use vs. them" part of the argument. The full time athlete vs. part time athlete. When the 2 worlds collide when it's unexpected, you have some animosity.

I ultimately throw this back and Ironman for not anticipating these issues and failing to create clear expectations for their professionals. As the have a reduced entry fee, Ironman is fully without their rights and should be expected to create very clear guidelines for professional participation in their events.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

ironmayb wrote:
sentania wrote:

I will try to conclude my involvement in this thread on a positive note. The thread is about "removing pros from the race". I want to acknowledge some of the local pros around the race this weekend, who didn't need to be removed:

Blake Becker. I appreciate his input into this thread and his blog post re: the race. His contingent of athletes he coaches seems to grow every year. The signs of his athletes near picnic point was creative.

Jackie Hering(sp?): saw her all over the place this weekend. Most impressed at 7pm Sunday. I was heading home at Mile 23 and she was out past Camp Randall actively and individually inspiring one of her coached athletes. Definitely building her brand.

Paul Eicher and Will Smith working the Norma Tec booth and cheering on Mt. Horeb Hill

And as I mentioned earlier in this thread I saw Thomas Brunold assisting a biker with a mechanical within the first 10 miles of the bike ride. While it may have been close to the "outside assistance" line I don't care. I saw a freaked out participant get much needed help. I would like to believe it was a first timer (I bet it was) who was able to finish the race and has no idea they were helped by one of the best and most consistent AGer's at this race the last decade.

And as unfortunate as it was to see this race no longer support a professional field (at least for this year). It was great to see each of them on course giving back to their athletes all day, the community, and supporting the race. They all did a great job with what they could do not just for their athletes but everyone else as well. As hard as it was for some of them to not be able to do this race in the capacity they wanted to do, i know it was a bit bittersweet.

This is one of the downsides of a pro/elite athlete, your hometown local race, the one that many have done for several years, and in BB's case every year since it has come to town, that everyone comes out for has stripped away your division.
Quote Reply

Prev Next