Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My smell test tells me that she was extremely careless about what she put in her body and she should have known better. That’s what I said in my post. I did not say that she was engaged in some sort of conspiracy to score illegal drugs so don’t put words in my mouth. Everyone knows that supplements have the potential to be contaminated and if you did take a supplement why in the world would you take some off-brand, non-established product. She played roulette and lost. She can go ahead and sue and get what she can but she should also get a doping sanction. That’s all I’m saying.
Also, I’m not sure if you’re gaslighting with this question but what she took is different than table salt because with a nutritional supplement you're buying product from an unregulated company that has a vested interest in seeing that you experience a noticeable performance gain when you use their products. At one end of the spectrum maybe they slip you a little something so that you’ll swear to all who’ll listen that only their salt pills work. That’s good for business. Less nefarious, they don’t clean their machines properly after filling their proprietary “Super Body Builder Mega Pump Testicle Reduction Blend” capsules. That’s them just not caring. Either way, more than just flavor.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [vo3 max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I will not put words in your mouth, I will just copy and paste them for you;

The supplement company was specifically identified by USADA as one that sells contaminated supplements.

So you said she should have known because this was put out there by USADA. I said it looked to me that it was her case that got USADA to put this up, so how was she supposed to know again?? She was supposed to have a time machine, go into the future and check the website, then come back with the knowledge, tell me in your words how it works exactly??

And lets keep in mind again that it was a salt supplement, not some muscle boosting milk shake that are popular with the body builders, just salt..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting three cases I'm aware of over the last two seasons. All deny any wrongdoing which isn't a rare thing when it comes to PED defence but something is going on in supplements and a reminder we all probably should be more aware of...

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/blogs/op-ed-triathlon-seeing-athletes-test-positive-ostarine-recently/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me provide some information:

1) she bought the supplement from a triathlon store. Possibly the largest one in Texas. Possibly one that has had a slowtwitch road show.

2) the supplement maker was local. So you can see how it ended up in the store. I doubt that there is a wide distribution of the product and thus I doubt she “heard on the underground” that the supplement contained the PED.

3) anyone who says she took the supplement knowing it was on the “danger” list has the chronology wrong. It showed up on the list because it was sent to a wada lab for testing after Barnett tested her own batch and alerted authorities.

4) I met Lauren twice. I don’t like her. When she got popped I thought she probably did it knowingly because it would confirm the narrative I created in my head about her. But I did a little investigating (probably so I could pile on her here). I was just wrong about my assumptions. She is a victim here. Too bad she is suing an entity with no money.

5) I will not view her future results with taint.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot edit my post: it should say “ I didn’t particularly like her. “ I don’t know her remotely well enough to say that I don’t like her.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
Tyler Hamilton...is a stand up guy.
I get all that -- but that's exactly what was said when he 1st got popped.
("Couldn't be.. he's the nicest guy and the hardest working, too.")

I have no way of knowing if his DHEA-as-antidepressant story is true; IMO, it doesn't pass the sniff test.
Depression is no joke and as I understand it, he was dealing with some tough personal/family issues back then.

But the fact that you still respect him? is reason enough for him to float the pseudo-antidepressant story.
You probably wouldn't respect him as much if he admitted to being a 3-time busted doper.
Nor would the clients who currently retain his training service$.
Last edited by: spookini: Dec 7, 17 18:22
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
endosch2 wrote:

I have no way of knowing if his DHEA-as-antidepressant story is true; IMO, it doesn't pass the sniff test.
Depression is no joke and as I understand it, he was dealing with some tough personal/family issues back then.

But the fact that you still respect him? is reason enough for him to float the pseudo-antidepressant story.
You probably wouldn't respect him as much if he admitted to being a 3-time busted doper.

You need to look at what he has done over the past 3-4 years and also I know he was trying to be honest with his friends before he was caught. He has been through more than what is publicly known.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me provide some information:

1) she bought the supplement from a triathlon store. Possibly the largest one in Texas. Possibly one that has had a slowtwitch road show.

2) the supplement maker was local. So you can see how it ended up in the store. I doubt that there is a wide distribution of the product and thus I doubt she “heard on the underground” that the supplement contained the PED.

3) anyone who says she took the supplement knowing it was on the “danger” list has the chronology wrong. It showed up on the list because it was sent to a wada lab for testing after Barnett tested her own batch and alerted authorities.

4) I met Lauren twice. I don’t like her. When she got popped I thought she probably did it knowingly because it would confirm the narrative I created in my head about her. But I did a little investigating (probably so I could pile on her here). I was just wrong about my assumptions. She is a victim here. Too bad she is suing an entity with no money.

5) I will not view her future results with taint. //

These are the things I was trying to get across to people, glad you did some research and was able to come to a non emotional conclusion, the right one I believe too. I wasn't aware of the local triathlon story as the sale point either. I would also just add that the drug that was laced in the salt pill was not an available drug and not one really on the radar of most athletes. It is still experimental, so not really inclined to believe that endurance athletes are seeking this out, at least not yet..

And I don't know her at all, and sounds like I probably would not like her either, but that is not the point..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
spot wrote:
spookini wrote:

Sorta like TylerHamilton...

Actually, he did cop to it...

Yes and no. If I recall, it was something like "I needed depression meds but the perfectly legit Rx I had wasn't working, so I went with an off-label supplement which I knew contained DHEA".

This was in 2008, when he was riding for Rock (Bottom) Racing, the home of such illustrious riders as Kayle Leogrande & Paco Mancebo.
At that point, Tyler had been accused of doping in the 2004 olympics (skated on technicality of spoiled B sample), busted during '04 Vuelta (blood transfusion, served 2yr ban), and then implicated in '07 Spanish doping sting, which saw him fired from Tinkoff during his 'comeback'.
By 2008, he was drinking at the last-chance saloon and riding for a team which was a doper's refuge.

I enjoyed Tyler's book, but "I took DHEA to combat depression" explanation rings hollow.
IMO, he was trying to salvage any scrap of dignity or career legacy he had left.
Nothing sours your place in sporting history quite like being a 3-time doper.

(Thread hijack over)

Here's a 2009 article on his DHEA suspension.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure this won’t be the last time this happens. These supplement companies are having more and more of these samples contaminated and it comes a very high cost to the athletes. Commonly taken things like salt tabs are causing failed tests and that’s devastating to the athletes. I how she wins and sets a precedent
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Sicilia24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sicilia24 wrote:
I am sure this won’t be the last time this happens. These supplement companies are having more and more of these samples contaminated and it comes a very high cost to the athletes. Commonly taken things like salt tabs are causing failed tests and that’s devastating to the athletes. I how she wins and sets a precedent

No, commonly taken "things" don't contain 'Enobosarm". which is actually Ostarine in doses that make you fail a drug test:

https://www.google.com/...biw=1600&bih=752

They do actually write that on the label, but FDA let's them get away with obfuscating the presence of an illegal steroid, as it is a "supplement".

If you buy a "salt" that contains Enobosarm, MK-2866, or GTx-024, you are not buying salt, you are buying a supplement that contains Ostarine.

You are not simply taking salt, and that is how you get popped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know anything about ostarine until checking this out. I'm from the Dallas area and know a number of people that are blindly defending her. Her excuse doesn't really make sense to me. My question is, how much would be needed to be consumed to flag on a drug test? The lab tests (from the original article) found about 150 nanograms per capsule. My quick google shows an effective daily dosage for women of 10-15mg (men roughly double that). Even at 10mg, that's over 60,000 capsules.... a day.

10,000,000 (nanograms/day) / 150 (nongrams/capsule) = 66,666 capsules/day

https://www.mysupplementstore.com/ostarine-sarms-guide

Am I missing something? That is for an "effective" dose, and amounts just according to one random website. I don't know how much would be needed to get flagged on a drug test, but that site also says there is a 24 hour half life, so how many capsules would be needed to throw a positive test? Is this something where just one or two capsules, so a few hundred nanograms, would set off the test?

It seems to me like that small of a dosage/capsule is so minuscule that it would neither flag on a drug test or have any effect on training/performance. Seems more likely to me that ostarine was being used in a higher dosage and these salt capsules were picked up knowing they were tainted to use as a scapegoat in case of a positive test.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Z28Diddy wrote:
Am I missing something?.

you are not missing anything. Ostarine is a known drug and that company was a known company. It's all a game. It's just that this forum is totally naive compared to body building forums where this is common knowledge.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I don't know how much would be needed to get flagged on a drug test, //

Well there you go, answer that question and you have it. All your other numbers posted are pointless and just noise. You and a bunch of others here keep putting those out there while there is only one number that matters. Just find that one and you can stop the circle jerk around the topic..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [vo3 max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supplements - especially risky ones being unregulated, have long been known to mislead about what they contain, or don't contain. This has been covered in the sport section of virtually every major newspaper and magazine. Lauren is either an incredibly stupid sucker, or she knew the ingredients and tried to get away with it. In either case, she knew the risk and made her bed. Now she can sleep in it. They should double her suspension and I hope the lawsuit goes nowhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Supplements - especially risky ones being unregulated, have long been known to mislead about what they contain, or don't contain. This has been covered in the sport section of virtually every major newspaper and magazine. Lauren is either an incredibly stupid sucker, or she knew the ingredients and tried to get away with it. In either case, she knew the risk and made her bed. Now she can sleep in it. They should double her suspension and I hope the lawsuit goes nowhere.

the first thing I would do if taking ostarine is to find a "local" supplement company to provide me with salt tabs

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Z28Diddy wrote:
I didn't know anything about ostarine until checking this out. I'm from the Dallas area and know a number of people that are blindly defending her. Her excuse doesn't really make sense to me. My question is, how much would be needed to be consumed to flag on a drug test? The lab tests (from the original article) found about 150 nanograms per capsule. My quick google shows an effective daily dosage for women of 10-15mg (men roughly double that). Even at 10mg, that's over 60,000 capsules.... a day.

10,000,000 (nanograms/day) / 150 (nongrams/capsule) = 66,666 capsules/day

https://www.mysupplementstore.com/ostarine-sarms-guide

Am I missing something? That is for an "effective" dose, and amounts just according to one random website. I don't know how much would be needed to get flagged on a drug test, but that site also says there is a 24 hour half life, so how many capsules would be needed to throw a positive test? Is this something where just one or two capsules, so a few hundred nanograms, would set off the test?

It seems to me like that small of a dosage/capsule is so minuscule that it would neither flag on a drug test or have any effect on training/performance. Seems more likely to me that ostarine was being used in a higher dosage and these salt capsules were picked up knowing they were tainted to use as a scapegoat in case of a positive test.

Apparently, the amount of ostarine in the positive tests was indeed consistent with ingesting a few of the contaminated tablets. This amount also seems to be far below an "effective" dosage. WTC agreed, and that's why she got a comparatively light sentence.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Dec 9, 17 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
Endurolytes? Hammer was sued for contamination in that product causing positive drug tests as well...

Yes, but the lawsuit was settled, so we don't know much.

But from what we do know, I'm highly skeptical of the athletes involved because the only samples of the supplement that tested positive were those supplied by Rebekah Keat's sister. Which is a horrible chain of custody. To my knowledge, no independently-acquired samples tested positive. And USADA tried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
spot wrote:
spookini wrote:

Sorta like TylerHamilton...

Actually, he did cop to it...

Yes and no. If I recall, it was something like "I needed depression meds but the perfectly legit Rx I had wasn't working, so I went with an off-label supplement which I knew contained DHEA".

This was in 2008, when he was riding for Rock (Bottom) Racing, the home of such illustrious riders as Kayle Leogrande & Paco Mancebo.
At that point, Tyler had been accused of doping in the 2004 olympics (skated on technicality of spoiled B sample), busted during '04 Vuelta (blood transfusion, served 2yr ban), and then implicated in '07 Spanish doping sting, which saw him fired from Tinkoff during his 'comeback'.
By 2008, he was drinking at the last-chance saloon and riding for a team which was a doper's refuge.

I enjoyed Tyler's book, but "I took DHEA to combat depression" explanation rings hollow.
IMO, he was trying to salvage any scrap of dignity or career legacy he had left.
Nothing sours your place in sporting history quite like being a 3-time doper.

(Thread hijack over)

So your belief is that a rider drinking at the last chance saloon, who is intimately familiar with a wide range of drugs and their efficacy, decided to save his career by using a dogshit ghetto doping product that has no proven ergogenic effect instead of a drug that actually works? Sounds legit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So your belief is that a rider drinking at the last chance saloon, who is intimately familiar with a wide range of drugs and their efficacy, decided to save his career by using a dogshit ghetto doping product that has no proven ergogenic effect instead of a drug that actually works? Sounds legit. //

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter too. Also there was a long period of time when DHEA was not on the banned list and I remember being sold in Costco in bulk. I don't know what year exactly it was put up there, but seems like early 2000's it might have still been legal??

Tyler's story has been pretty well documented now and it is quite plain the dude suffered for his choices( internally as wells as externally) He has also been a great resource as a window into what was going on at the time of his career. I've met him a couple times and like others have walked away thinking he was a nice guy, kind of quiet and respectful, and quite remorseful for his choices. He did have opportunities after there first bad choice to turn it around, but he just got so sucked in that he could not free himself from the hamster wheel. I hope at some point he can find peace, but his choices will always be dogging his reputation and that will be his legacy to the sport, cannot escape that..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Sounds like her answer is more plausible than I was giving it credit for. Thank you for clearing that up for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They test for the presence of most drug not the “effective dosage”. Your body metabolizes drugs and as it does so the presence of the drug in your system is gradually reduced. If they only tested for quantities consistent with the “effective dosage” your window for catching a doper is greatly reduced. You pretty much have to test them as soon as they take the drug. That’s why they test for drugs in significantly lower concentrations, they are accounting for your body clearing that shit out.
ETA: I bet she got a lighter sentence because she was able to demonstrate that she ingested ostarine inadvertently through a contaminated supplement. Not because it was a low quantity that tripped the test. That would just be a factor in considering intent.
Last edited by: vo3 max: Dec 9, 17 14:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Too bad she is suing an entity with no money.

That's fine in my book. Lawsuits that shine a light of transparency on bad actors are a form of enforcement that benefits the industry as a whole, and the world of sport indirectly. Money changing hands is nice for the direct victims when possible, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
endosch2 wrote:

So, essentially, what you are saying is that in a book wherein he admitted to doping pretty much his entire pro career, going to extreme detail as to how he did it, and to admitting that he lied over and over again about doping...decided in his book to lie about this one particular supplement? Your theory doesn’t really pass the sniff test. Why on earth would this one event be the thing he lies about in the book?

Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Uncle Phil wrote:
Endurolytes? Hammer was sued for contamination in that product causing positive drug tests as well...

Yes, but the lawsuit was settled, so we don't know much.

But from what we do know, I'm highly skeptical of the athletes involved because the only samples of the supplement that tested positive were those supplied by Rebekah Keat's sister. Which is a horrible chain of custody. To my knowledge, no independently-acquired samples tested positive. And USADA tried.

You are completely wrong about that. 100%. A separate batch was tested by the Utah WADA lab. Literally what you just wrote is the exact opposite of the truth.
Quote Reply

Prev Next