Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
spookini wrote:

Sorta like TylerHamilton...

Actually, he did cop to it...

Yes and no. If I recall, it was something like "I needed depression meds but the perfectly legit Rx I had wasn't working, so I went with an off-label supplement which I knew contained DHEA".

This was in 2008, when he was riding for Rock (Bottom) Racing, the home of such illustrious riders as Kayle Leogrande & Paco Mancebo.
At that point, Tyler had been accused of doping in the 2004 olympics (skated on technicality of spoiled B sample), busted during '04 Vuelta (blood transfusion, served 2yr ban), and then implicated in '07 Spanish doping sting, which saw him fired from Tinkoff during his 'comeback'.
By 2008, he was drinking at the last-chance saloon and riding for a team which was a doper's refuge.

I enjoyed Tyler's book, but "I took DHEA to combat depression" explanation rings hollow.
IMO, he was trying to salvage any scrap of dignity or career legacy he had left.
Nothing sours your place in sporting history quite like being a 3-time doper.

(Thread hijack over)
Last edited by: spookini: Dec 6, 17 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Double letters again

I bet she took it, knowing what was in it, and suing them for a misleading label was her back-up plan if she got busted

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - she is fast. Won (actually 18th) an Ironman in 2:36. I always thought they took close to 8 hours to win.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
spookini wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
People are going to that manufacturer knowing full well they are dodgy, and actually expecting that those supps contain PEDs.

Sorta like TylerHamilton taking a supplement for depression even though the supplement was known to contain DHEA. He's never copped to that.

I rode the tour with a severely broken collar bone on just bread and water... really!

Off topic I know but every time I see that picture, I can't help thinking that he literally looks like a concentration camp survivor. If this level of leanness is what people call "race weight", F*** the the hell out of that!!! He looks totally unhealthy.

That's what it takes to be a top rider in the tour.
Yes, it takes PED's too, but you also have to be stupid light.
Remember Michael R?

I'll counter with Lance, who weighed 155-ish at his lightest, and Miguel Indurain who weighed 170-ish. Don't recall Michael R.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michael Rassmusen (sp?). 59kg race weight

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Serious question: Would sunscreen slow these guys down? Definitely a skin cancer wanna be poster boy!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Serious question: Would sunscreen slow these guys down? Definitely a skin cancer wanna be poster boy!

I'm guessing most use sunscreen, but keep in mind, they are on the bike for 6+ hours at a time, and when doing that in a race, you don't have time to stop and re-apply your coppertone... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Brian and Michael said were my immediate reactions

1) What Pro Triathlete would look at that company's website and think "I feel good about ordering from them" ... as soon as I see a body building focused supplement company the safe bet is to trn 180 degrees

2) Her "Trainer?" advised this? Maybe she sues her trainer too ?? What was her trainers role in her actual

3) If you need an electrolyte supplement, again why would you use this company and not well respected and quality one such as Meta-Salt?

... I'll leave it at that

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [triball13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triball13 wrote:
I'm not an expert on this, but most supplements don't seem to be regulated by the FDA, which is pointed out on their labels. In that case, FDA regulations would not apply (I would think). Not sure what supplement was being used here, but as others have said, I think if something isn't regulated by FDA, you are taking it into your own hands.

You are partially correct in so far, as the FDA requires ingredients to be listed. However the regulations do not require to list every spurious content or any possible contamination.

As an example, peanut butter has not to be listed as ingredient on the ingredient list even though the product is processed on peanut-contaminated equipment and hence contains trace amounts of peanuts (although the FDA nowadays requires an extra disclaimer for that for safety reasons).
Similarly, there are also stipulations in place for spurious contents/trace elements and their threshold limits that are considered to be safe (Mercury comes to mind, but this also applies to Biologics).

On that note:
Depending on funds (which are the real trump card and game winner in our legal system), and with the murky position of the FDA on supplements:
If I were the defendant and had pockets deep enough, I would give it at shot and try to stand my ground. And maybe say "SORRY".
Last edited by: windschatten: Dec 6, 17 19:20
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:

2) Her "Trainer?" advised this? Maybe she sues her trainer too ??

Article says she "cleared it" with her trainer. To me that's different than her trainer recommending or advising her to take it. First of all, it suggests the athlete was the one who instigated the conversation. We don't know the context of the conversation where the trainer "cleared" it, but it very well may have been along the lines of "I see nothing in that list of ingredients that's a banned substance."

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Dave Latourette wrote:

2) Her "Trainer?" advised this? Maybe she sues her trainer too ??

Article says she "cleared it" with her trainer. To me that's different than her trainer recommending or advising her to take it. First of all, it suggests the athlete was the one who instigated the conversation. We don't know the context of the conversation where the trainer "cleared" it, but it very well may have been along the lines of "I see nothing in that list of ingredients that's a banned substance."

supposedly this is a known brand in the body building / weight lifting community for getting a little more than you bargained for in the PED department. It's suspect that a triathlete would go to that brand and that they would "clear it" with their "trainer".

All of these things ring hollow.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I see these stories, I just see folks trying to find a way to cut a corner to get an edge. Nothing wrong with that, but you are rolling the dice.
And since this has happened time and time again, well, ...

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the contaminated supplement was something well known and widely used in triathlon, such as Saltstick or Hammer Endurolytes then I may have some sympathy and support for her lawsuit. The product she choose has so many red flags that I don't know why anyone would consider taking it when there are so many other reputable options which are readily available.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree and I find it odd that she would want to to bring attention to herself again. She was pretty much cleared of wrong doing and had a very light suspension.

On the other hand, you have athletes that recieved a more substantial suspension and have (to my knowledge) not gone after the supplement producer.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [iruntrails] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endurolytes? Hammer was sued for contamination in that product causing positive drug tests as well...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I see these stories, I just see folks trying to find a way to cut a corner to get an edge.//

Taking a salt supplement is cutting corners?? Guess you don't have a salt shaker on your table, or are you cutting corners too Dave??

And of course after the fact it is obvious to all you that think she should have known, did you know 3 years ago?? Did you know about the other companies that were later found to have tainted supplements? If so, how did you know before anyone else did? It is ridiculous to hold these athletes responsible for taking a common mineral that we all take is some form to know if a company has tainted it. She absolutely has a good case and should win it, and I think once proven the penalties should be reduced or even erased.

Suppose Morton tainted their product Dave, what are you going to say then??? You going to accept that you are a drug cheater and step aside?? Or will you do exactly what this woman did, fight it as being unfair and then try and get renumaration after it is proved without a doubt it was not her fault?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tyler Hamilton has done more great speaking lately on PEDs than any former doper.

He is a stand up guy and is really doing more than a lot of other dopers.

Look up some of his most recent youtube talks, there was one from some college in England that was excellent, the Q+A was really enlightening.

I think the PED issue is so pervasive and so deep in so many sports, to single out older cyclists is really distracting from the fact that we have really poor doping controls in most mainstream sports.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bad quote paraphrase of Contador: "my friend brought me a steak up from Spain, and it must have caused the bad test".

I'm not an elite anything. If it isn't an actual food then it better be something that's pretty much just a food in powder form and nothing else. And even then from an organic grocery store.

If the store has muscly guys/gals on the outside and meathead products inside.........not a good sign.

LOL at the testosterone cream on the door handle comment above. A lot of those these days are in a deodorant style applicator to roll under arm or on a forearm.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a ridiculous analogy. This is a professional athlete who took an unregulated dietary supplement, not some joe eating table salt. The supplement company was specifically identified by USADA as one that sells contaminated supplements. USADA also has a specific warning about ostarine contamination in supplements in big letters on their website. As professional you have a responsibility to know the rules and to be aware of what you put in your body, if you want to take the chance on a sketch-ball supplement, you take your chances. That’s what Dave means when he says he sees people trying to “cut corners”. The only reason to take that type of risk is to gain something for nothing, only in this case she got burned. Tough luck.
Should she sue the supplement maker? Sure! Does she have a good case? Maybe. Does she also bear some respondibilty? Definitely. Should she get a sanction for a doping violation? I think so. Could USADA reduce the penalty after weighing the mitigating factors? Yup.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Barnett is suing for negligence, claiming that the incident resulted in a loss of income from triathlon-related sponsorships and endorsements and that it has “permanently tarnished” her reputation."

I won't trust another result of hers, even if she wins or settles out of court. It sounds like many share my view on this thread. So I understand why she is suing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [vo3 max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The supplement company was specifically identified by USADA as one that sells contaminated supplements.//

Was that up on their site in 2014 so that this athlete could even have had this information? From what I can tell it looks like it is her exact case that alerted them and then they put it up. Do you know something otherwise?

And it is just like table salt, it was a fucking salt pill!! Virtually all top athletes and a ton of AG'ers take salt supplements, it is just too hard on the stomach to pour raw salt into a water bottle. You really think she just heard through the grapevine, or you assertion that she read about it on USADA's website and though, hey I could maybe get me some illegal drugs? And then knowing that since she is a podium contender that perhaps she would just roll the dice on getting tested? Is that what your smell tests tells you happened?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
The supplement company was specifically identified by USADA as one that sells contaminated supplements.//

Was that up on their site in 2014 so that this athlete could even have had this information? From what I can tell it looks like it is her exact case that alerted them and then they put it up. Do you know something otherwise?

That was my question (When did it go on the Warning List?). I can see a plausible case for her to collect damages from the company. However, I disagree that she should have her suspension reversed if she wins this case; USADA is clear that taking any supplements is risky, and that you're responsible for any positive tests that result from taking supplements, whether or not it was known they contained a banned substance.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
When I see these stories, I just see folks trying to find a way to cut a corner to get an edge.//

Taking a salt supplement is cutting corners?? Guess you don't have a salt shaker on your table, or are you cutting corners too Dave??

And of course after the fact it is obvious to all you that think she should have known, did you know 3 years ago?? Did you know about the other companies that were later found to have tainted supplements? If so, how did you know before anyone else did? It is ridiculous to hold these athletes responsible for taking a common mineral that we all take is some form to know if a company has tainted it. She absolutely has a good case and should win it, and I think once proven the penalties should be reduced or even erased.

Suppose Morton tainted their product Dave, what are you going to say then??? You going to accept that you are a drug cheater and step aside?? Or will you do exactly what this woman did, fight it as being unfair and then try and get renumaration after it is proved without a doubt it was not her fault?

You are right, I do not have a salt shaker on my table. I have not used salt from a shaker for more years than I can remember. No need to use it, I get plenty in the food I eat.

You missed my point, but whats new

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Winner Sues Supplement Maker [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You missed my point, but whats new //

I missed your point, wtf do you think my entire post was addressing!!! I GIVE UP, YOU WIN!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
You missed my point, but whats new //

I missed your point, wtf do you think my entire post was addressing!!! I GIVE UP, YOU WIN!!!

Nah, you clearly win :)

So, when do we get Dan to race?

Quote Reply

Prev Next