Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman WR - women
Quote | Reply
Paula's record nearly fell last week. And neatly fell this week.
8.45.48 by Yvonne van Vlerken...and actually Erica Csomor got under 8.50 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gefeliciteerd Yvonne!

She said she would do it and she did!

Lets see what happends when she comes to Hawaii!

IMH/IMG/NM Graduate
Challenge Almere enthousiast.
Come race Frysman
Team
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [JV99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a bit on her background?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was a former duathlete, maybe world champ long distance?

won roth last year in 8.52 i think,

coached by Mario Huys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some pretty quick stuff from the ladies in Austria too.

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Won her first IM too.

Going to be interesting at Kona this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 women sub 9h in two races today.....and Chrissie last weekend

Talk about a revolution in international Ironman racing among the women!

...gues it was about time...the old ladies has been ruling a bit to long now.

Guess Badman/Ficker/Major is shaking at home.....they`re in trouble come october;-)

Espen Wagener
Kongsberg, Norway

http://www.espenwagener.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Espen Wagener: Jul 13, 08 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [Espen Wagener] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think there is a bit of a problem with mesuring device in germany.... seems to me like times are a bit quick.... we dont see these athlete going that fast anywhere else in the world but there....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [twood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
was a former duathlete, maybe world champ long distance?

won roth last year in 8.52 i think,
Roth was her debut IM last year. She also won Almere last year in 8:57:54 ( i believe she was the first woman to go sub 9 twice in one year)
She was long distance duathlon world champ in 2006
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is a bit shorter, but not that much shorter actually. Many things contribute to the fast times there.

1. swim in a canal, no current. no sighting needed whatsoever
2. short transitions
3. extremely smooth roads. You have the impression you're riding a formula 1 circuit (except a few patches). The bike is about 2km short.
4. there is always quite a bit of drafting, that said it's the case everywhere.
5. the run is 70% on packed dirt. easier for your legs. There is one km back to Roth that is awfully short though.
6. the support from the locals is amazing. truly a must do race.

Jonnyo, you should get yourself invited there. Really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes that's it. It's the measuring devices. :O

These are her results (her website)

Yvonne's results

I know she isn't on the Slowtwitch mainstream radar. But she's been doing well and improving step by step every year, basically since the early 2000's.

Triathlete magazine did tip her as one of the contenders for the WR. And guess what.

IMH/IMG/NM Graduate
Come race Frysman
Team
Last edited by: JV99: Jul 13, 08 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few euro pros off the radar because they rarely if ever race outside Europe.
Kona 1996, a journalist asks Rainer Muller (3rd in Hawaii in 95) who his top pick is, he answers: Luc van Lierde and everyone goes, who??
Hellriegel and Muller came virtually unknown in 1995, whereas they were realy well known in Europe.
Csomor switched to long a couple of years ago. Before that she was scaring the crap out of all the women as soon as the run was on.

Since you're dutch, you remember jan van der marel...one of the select few to go under 8hrs (in Almere)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are a few euro pros off the radar because they rarely if ever race outside Europe.
Kona 1996, a journalist asks Rainer Muller (3rd in Hawaii in 95) who his top pick is, he answers: Luc van Lierde and everyone goes, who??
Hellriegel and Muller came virtually unknown in 1995, whereas they were realy well known in Europe.
Csomor switched to long a couple of years ago. Before that she was scaring the crap out of all the women as soon as the run was on.

Since you're dutch, you remember jan van der marel...one of the select few to go under 8hrs (in Almere)...
Yes i do know Jan van der Marel. He still runs marathons often and very well. The select few in Almere is so select that he is the only one ever to go below the 8hr mark there. He is still involved in triathlon in the Netherlands. He is the teammanager of the triathlonteam one of my friends is on.

Back to Yvonne :)

PS; INFOMERCIAL: Anyone who wants to do a good Irondistance in Europe coming August or wants to compete in the ITU LD World Chamoinships; Almere is the place to be last weekend of August. 30 august there will be the Irondistance and 31 August will be ITU LD WC. I will be popping my Irondistance cherry on Saturday (If all goes well).

IMH/IMG/NM Graduate
Come race Frysman
Team
Last edited by: JV99: Jul 13, 08 9:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

Another detail is that some of these outstanding European Pro LD triathletes choose not to go to Hawaii. Yes, that's right. Why? The conditions in Hawaii do not favour them. The conditions in Kona are very selective. Not everyone can handle that type of heat and humidity - people should botice that it's mor or less the same people up there in the Pro and AG races year after year after year in Hawaii. There are people in the sport far more knowledgable than me, who have suggested that the WTC should move their Ironman World Championship around. If they had the race in a place with more favourable and reasonable conditions, my guess is that you would actually get a more competitive field, with faster times. I know, I know blasphemy say some of you as it takes away from the mystic and the legend that is Hawaii. But it is the absolute truth.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most anyone can compete when the weather conditions are good - such as a lot of European races. That is what is so cool about Kona - are you tough enough to go all out without a wetsuit in a bay with shifting currents or ride/run in hot, windy weather?

Heck, I see this a lot in our local marathon. I live in Nashville we have a hilly race towards the end of April (weather can be in the 50s or the 80s). Always amazing to me how the faster runner pass on the this race and its not cause they are always running Boston. Its cause they KNOW they will not run their fastest times and will suffer more than usual. I guess it messes with their mind...

At the end of the day, your competion shouldn't be the clock but the other racers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what is so cool about Kona - are you tough enough to go all out without a wetsuit in a bay with shifting currents or ride/run in hot, windy weather?

Well after my second trip to Kona and being in the absolute best shape of my life, I came to the conclusion that I was not tough enough! :)

I had to almost walk it in from the 16 mile mark on the run. Humbling, considering I had been on 9:00 pace until that point, but true reality check and a realization that those sorts of conditions did not suit me despite the best preparation. I know that I am not alone with those thoughts.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well.....I`ve done alle 3 races and did not measure them short. Frankfurt as actually 182km on the bike. Swim seemed short this year though.

But they say Roth was short when PNF sat her old "WR" back in 1992.....175km on the bike i think. Norwegian record was sat that year to.....

I think we`re seeing a big lift in performance among the girls....biggest change is maybe they dear to bike faster than before??

Espen Wagener
Kongsberg, Norway

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey

Bad excuses.....after Sindballe made the podium last year we have no exuses anymore. It`s just about preperation;-)!!

Espen Wagener
Kongsberg, Norway

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard an interview with Stadler last year where he said the run in Roth is about 500m short.

Even if that's true, and if the bike is actually 2km short, that's only 6-8 minutes for the top pros. Still a very fast course.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those europen races are very very fast courses, like was already said, swimming in a canal plus wetsuit, equals minimum 2-5 minutes difference, and the roads themselves probabaly save double that over North American races with crappy roads. they also seem to have perfect IM weather each year.

Great times by both those girls, they went fast on a fast course, but really Kona is a different beast, it will be a great woman's race this year for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I heard an interview with Stadler last year where he said the run in Roth is about 500m short.
-C
Now why on earth would he say that I wonder.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [gulrich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After all these women shred their legs with mid summer stellar IM times, Ms. McGlone will come out of hiding in Kona to show the majority of the ladies field her rear end....yes, Kona will be good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, Garmin + motionbased.com can settle a lot of these arguments now. But weather will also have a lot to do with it.

Saying that.
Stephen Bayliss runs 2h44 today versus his lifetime best of 2h51
Bella Comerford runs 3h04 versus lifetime best of 3h10

Do think about Roth though. Guy i know ran 9h32 in AZ last year. Went 8h47 in Roth today. So whenever you feel like becoming a sub 8.10 guy.....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman WR - women [Gandalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Gandalf....Jonnyo need to race Roth for no other reason but to add an 8:0x time to his resume....I think I need to race Roth to add 9:5x :-)

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That time makes my legs hurt. Bad ass!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply

Prev Next