Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman VC 18 frustration
Quote | Reply
If you look at the results for the virtual competition Sprint distance it sure seems like people are posting false times. I know full well people are going to cheat and make themselves appear better than they are (performance wise) to make them selves feel better but really? This is a fun virtual race challenge to pass the time by before real racing start back up again. It probably isn't with it for IM to review some of the results to verify they are legit through GPS data, but come on a 5k in 13:30? that is under Olympic qualifying time and the individual is almost a 50 year old guy. Doesn't seem possible. I want to see the uploaded GPS data.

Ok rant over, I hate cheaters.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VC 18 frustration [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gave up on the VR series being "competitive" a long time ago...I treat them as brick training, and register for the "classic" division accordingly. The vast majority of people are honest, but there's always that 1% that ****s it up for the rest of us. YMMV.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should change some terminology: "leaderboard" should be "cheaterboard"... There isn't much joy in VR series for honest athletes :-(
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VC 18 frustration [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
…There isn't much joy in VR series…

That says it perfectly. At first, the VR series was a fun distraction from the real world. I signed up for the first three, and had a blast with VR1 and VR2. I would have probably kept on every week ... until VR3. The Strava debacle was bad enough, but then they changed the rules to disallow activities more than 1 km over the event distance. Insult to injury, they buried notice of the rule change in the middle of an email message that almost no one reads. Now they've got the worst of both worlds: a "competitive" series that's rife with cheating, and a "classic" series that's locked down just enough that it's too much trouble to bother with. (I, at least, don't feel the joy of staring at my bike computer waiting for the exact moment to end the recording. I'd much rather enjoy the ride, knowing that it was plenty long enough enough to qualify.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate cheaters too. I feel the VR Championship series is better regulated as it gives World’s slots. The other two series are for fun and fast training. No glory in cheating for those less regulated series.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's a more accurate terminology definitely, LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VC 18 frustration [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tokyo 2021 for the 50-year old throwing down a 13:30 5k!

But, sadly this has been an issue since Ironman VC 1....the reason why I have zero interest in these "races". Will be awesome if someone aggregated all the questionable (cheated) times and then did a little compare and contrast when actual races are happening again (or to past results). OBSTri should add some functionality!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, and the real racing is sadly also rife with cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman VC 18 frustration [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Sad but true...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Sad but true...

Sad indeed!...Anything that has an outcome, people will find a way to cheat!
Quote Reply