Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Tulsa
Quote | Reply
Ironman Tulsa opens today and not sure if I want to sign up. This will be my first full Ironman and I really want to do the race since I am from Tulsa but with the uncertainty of COVID and Ironman not refunding money doesn't make me feel comfortable.

Anyone signing up for the race?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up for the 2020 race. Then deferred to 2021. If it gets cancelled again, I'll defer to 2022. I lived some of my best early years in Tulsa, and love that town. I can't wait to race there, whenever the race happens.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking of 2021 assuming there will be racing. I’m hopeful one of the vaccines pans out.

Even if it’s not 100%, if it minimizes severity of infection, it could be a boon to getting things back to normalcy.

Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, or even naive, but oh well. I’ll plan for the best in 2021 (even though I’m somewhat pessimistic and in the back of my mind expecting the worse).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Chicago but I am in Tulsa very regularly for work, including this afternoon. I really want to sign up for this race so I can turn work trips into riding the IM course. With that said, I just can't justify signing up for a race scheduled for spring of 2021. Even if it sells out, I am going to wait until things go back to "normal" and races can go off as scheduled. We all have different approaches/budgets, but mine for now is hold tight until I know I will be racing, then sign up for something after that. Different strokes for different folks though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm optimistic with the vaccines. i'm hopping for start of distribution in October... if we are lucky there will be 1-200M people vaccinated by the end of 2020. Maybe 2-4B by the end of 2021.

But as an international tourist, it's not realistic to expect to be able to fly in the US in May 2021.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa [NickJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tulsa sounds appealing but i have to wait to see what happens with IMAZ, if it does not go i want to see the deferral options. Until i know that I'm not signing up for any races in 2021
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's quite irresponsible for IM to market and open registration for event in Spring 2021
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa [runbrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the same thing especially since there have been cancelled races where participants have not yet been provided options for races they would like to defer, i.e. Traverse City. That said, I was kind of excited when I saw it as it gave me hope that there is something to look forward to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runbrassica wrote:
I think it's quite irresponsible for IM to market and open registration for event in Spring 2021

Agreed, Ironman already has $1100 from me. They aren't getting another dime without some guarantees.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Last edited by: Ryanppax: Aug 10, 20 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runbrassica wrote:

Irresponsible isn't the word I would choose. Ambitious, sure. anyone registering right now should be well aware of the uncertainty that still faces events like this. But if someone wants to roll the dice and register, that's fine to me. With all the cancelled 2020 races, if IM racing is back in 2021 (I know, IF!) it's going to be damn near impossible to get into any through normal registration since there will be so few/no spots to register for. It'll be all transfers or deferments from 2020 cancellations.

Not trying to unilaterally defend WTC actions in the whole pandemic here, but I'm just saying, I can see why they are opening registration and generally I don't have an issue with them opening it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about it.
I can't find number Kona Q spots on the website.
I suspect with all the cancellations/postponed races (including the Oct, then Feb Kona) it's a hot mess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone notice this wording in the email announcing the opening of registration:

1. Athletes who register on or before November 8, 2020 may take advantage of the opportunity to sign up via a three-part payment plan,

2. and lock in FREE deferral for all of life’s unexpected moments.

3. Limited spots are available for the first edition of IRONMAN Tulsa.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw actual registration and it looks like only one price. WTH?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably because of limited spots due to everyone deferring 2020 entries to 2021.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
runbrassica wrote:

Irresponsible isn't the word I would choose. Ambitious, sure. anyone registering right now should be well aware of the uncertainty that still faces events like this. But if someone wants to roll the dice and register, that's fine to me. With all the cancelled 2020 races, if IM racing is back in 2021 (I know, IF!) it's going to be damn near impossible to get into any through normal registration since there will be so few/no spots to register for. It'll be all transfers or deferments from 2020 cancellations.

Not trying to unilaterally defend WTC actions in the whole pandemic here, but I'm just saying, I can see why they are opening registration and generally I don't have an issue with them opening it.[/quote

Agree. It’s likely that many who were originally entered in a May IMSG.... who deferred to a September IMSG... ... will now pull the trigger on Tulsa. A May 140.6 likely fits their original training and racing plans. Me.... I’ve given IM my last dollar to hold (and I’m rolling IMCOZ to 2021, buying a new Roadie... and climbing)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With IM StG cancelling I am looking at options and Tulsa may be appealing but know nothing about the area course.
For those of you who know the course, how would you describe it? Its either Tulsa or Texas but nothing really excites me about racing in Texas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just saying hello - I teach at OSU

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, or even naive, but oh well. I’ll plan for the best in 2021 (even though I’m somewhat pessimistic and in the back of my mind expecting the worse).

This situation is placing EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, who organizes any kind of Endurance Sports Race/Event in a VERY challenging situation. Main reason - we have no idea what is going to go on next year.

This year, 2020 is looking to be a complete wipe-out. And while, 2021 seems like a ways off - planning, preparation, and opening of registration for races/events in the first half of next year, has to start in the next month or so. So from Race/Event Organizers stand-point, 2021 is already here - and the bigger and larger you are, the much farther out you need to plan. But as of today, no one can say for sure what the situation is going to be for running, cycling and triathlon races/events next year beyond a certain size!

Starting in late August - I normally start booking in and scheduling my Race/Event Announcing, Emceeing and Live Commentary gigs for the following year - confirming with existing clients, and prospecting for new opportunities! Right now, I don't know if there is a point to do any of that!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm registered thanks to my deferral from 2020.

It looks like a fun course, easy to get to from the airport, and decent lodgings/hospitality/experience.

Granted, I don't have much of a choice in the matter since they already have my money.

If I were starting from zero, I think I would defer my 2021 racing until September or later, but since I was registered for eight branded events in 2020, I'm just going to have to ride the wave of rolling cancellations until it stops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I deferred from 2020 to the new race date in 2021.
They only way I see the race happening is if a vaccine is available and events like this will probably require athletes, spectators, volunteers, etc have it.

I'm planning on as if it is happening and ramping the training back up through the winter.
Best we can do at this point.

They were at tier 4 before the cancellation. If you figure so many deferred to the 2021 date, and then came back through other deferrals, they could be pretty full already, so it may sell out as well.
I will expect we will get a race eventually for our fee, but no refund of any type if everything is still up in the air.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply