Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it
Quote | Reply
Why choose Tulsa over another race on the US circuit next year?? I can only do 1 full next year and time of the year doesn't matter. I'm not necessarily looking for a fast time or easy vs. hard course. What does Tulsa have to offer? At first glance, I see nothing enticing about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frozen meat company as a sponsor?
Tornado season?
High 80's temperature?
WTC fees to bring the family to Oklahoma?
Transition areas that are 24 miles apart?

Did that work?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The distance from swim start/T1 to T2 is crazy. I’ll be anxious to see the course map. Anyone from that area have any input?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it [thebod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thebod wrote:
The distance from swim start/T1 to T2 is crazy. I’ll be anxious to see the course map. Anyone from that area have any input?

Please explain.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it [thebod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For an IM for the families that will go watch the race at the swim and then move to transition, it actually "wastes" time and probaly works well for a full. It's when it's a 70.3 and you go to the swim start and then have to wait around until the final swimmer is done before you can leave T1 area to get to T2 that you run into real issues.

I've had it where I've missed athletes into T2 for a 70.3 cus I'm stuck still at T1.

But for a full, this wont be an issue.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy for me.
4 hour drive vs 8 to 10 or flying.

For all the issues mentioned above, I'll be very curious how long it lasts.

I think it's a sort of experiment to see if locating a full IM in the southern Midwest is sustainable. Will it sell out? Will it attract enough people like me that want to do a full IM, but don't want the hassle of driving forever or flying and the logistics.

Every tri group FB page I'm on, people are clamoring for it. 3000+ people? Time will tell.

I'm not a huge fan of the multiple transitions... but what are you going to do...

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
For an IM for the families that will go watch the race at the swim and then move to transition.........

IMHO, families at the swim start/T1 area of a 2 transition race are just unnecessary distractions for all involved.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T1 and T2 are 24 miles apart.

Which means that you will have to somehow get your bike out there pre-race; than get a ride back into town. And than post-race, have someone or yourself go all the way back out there to get your swim gear.
Boulder had a similar setup but it was only a few miles; this is rediculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will probably cart your swim gear bag to T2/finish line for you. I doubt you will have to run all the way back to T1 to get it.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which means that you will have to somehow get your bike out there pre-race; than get a ride back into town. And than post-race, have someone or yourself go all the way back out there to get your swim gear.

-------

Race will provide rides out to the venue for most athletes/sherpas. 2nd- I've never seen a race not take your T1 stuff to you at the T2/finish area. Your stuff isn't just going to "sit" in T1 until midnight and your expected to go get it.

Your bitching about something that isn't as big of a deal as your making it be.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure but reality is, people want to see you start an "ironman" (hell a 70.3 too). It's not as big of an issue with a IM considering it's a ~6hr bike ride. So you can wait til all swimmers on the course and still make it back. You really can't make it back for some doing a 70.3 event, especially with wave starts that can be over an hour difference in starting times.

But with rolling starts it's probaly easier to manage.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman UK has a split transition, about 10 miles apart.

Seems to work, tho i hear from many they do find it a bit of a PITA, but it does work.
The orgsnisers provide shuttle buses from Bolton centre (where T2 is).

However, at the age group racing at Leeds a couple of years ago (1st time the ITU went to Leeds) the arrangements for getting to/from Roundhay Park (Swim+T1) to T2 and back, + kit bags after the race etc, was an unmitigated clusterfhuck. That was (p1ss poorly) oganised by... wait for it... Ironman / WTC.

So - it needs the organisers to really sort their shizzle out otherwise you'll have a thousand wrecked athletes waiting and waiting and getting p1ssed off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
T1 and T2 are 24 miles apart.

You clearly are not a logistics person..5,000'ish people in Cairns managed just fine with a 26k split transition..
Ironman organised trucks to shuttle bikes and rack them for anyone who didn't want to ride out or drive out to T1 on Saturday.
Ironman organised busses for athletes to go to T1 on Saturday if they wanted.
Ironman organised busses for athletes and supporters to go to the race start on Sunday.
Ironman organised busses for spectators to go back to the finish after everyone left T1
Ironman collected all the swim gear and street gear bags and took them back to the finish area to be collected at T2 after the race.

Ironman Australia in Forster used to do the same
Ironman Malaysia does the same.
It works and you are focussing on something that is at worst,inconvenient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Lake Tahoe had a distance of 17 miles from T1 to T2. As mentioned, all T1 items were packed up after the athletes left and carried to T2 - no reason to believe that IMOK (ha!) will be any different.

That said, getting from T1 to T2 was a major hassle and took a long time. Granted, Tahoe has very few ways to get from place to place so Tulsa could be easier to navigate.

This seems similar to IMLOU in a few respects - a rolling, hilly bike and a flat, urban run in fairly warm temperatures.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
You clearly are not a logistics person..5,000'ish people in Cairns managed just fine with a 26k split transition..
Ironman organised trucks to shuttle bikes and rack them for anyone who didn't want to ride out or drive out to T1 on Saturday.
Ironman organised busses for athletes and supporters to go to the race start on Sunday.
Ironman organised busses for spectators to go back to the finish after everyone left T1
Ironman collected all the swim gear and street gear bags and took them back to the finish area to be collected at T2 after the race.

Overseas IM events tend to be nicer for a lack of better word when it comes to this stuff. I've never had an athlete stuck on a bus in Asia/AUS when racing an WTC event. Plenty of times in NA when they've used buses this has happened in 70.3 events anyway. Hopefully they can pull it off without a hitch though.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jun 12, 19 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it [TruckeeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TruckeeTri wrote:
Ironman Lake Tahoe had a distance of 17 miles from T1 to T2. As mentioned, all T1 items were packed up after the athletes left and carried to T2 - no reason to believe that IMOK (ha!) will be any different.

That said, getting from T1 to T2 was a major hassle and took a long time. Granted, Tahoe has very few ways to get from place to place so Tulsa could be easier to navigate.

This seems similar to IMLOU in a few respects - a rolling, hilly bike and a flat, urban run in fairly warm temperatures.

Please do not disrespect Louisville by comparing it to Tulsa.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it [TruckeeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TruckeeTri wrote:

I bet this race will have a similar vibe to Louisville and will see about the same amount of success.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

Overseas IM events tend to be nicer for a lack of better word when it comes to this stuff. I've never had an athlete stuck on a bus in Asia/AUS when racing an WTC event. Plenty of times in NA when they've used buses this has happened in 70.3 events anyway. Hopefully they can pull it off without a hitch though.

Yes,I will have to say that they fall all over themselves to get stuff done right at Asian events from my experience.The Thai Navy Warrior Iron and its associated events are a thing to be seen to be believed.
The only race in Oz that came close to being a gong show was the point to point Iron Distances race that was held in Sydney once in the 80's and once in the 90's.That was an exercise in navigation, forced self support and lost gear.Luckily my place was on the run course and I got to go home to get some food and go to the bathroom.
We used to think the split transition in Forster was a pain back in the '90s but these days it is just "one of those things" that happen when you try to create a perfect races in an imperfect location.Langkawi in Malaysia is an example of their race improving with the change of venues and the move to a split transition.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa - sell me on it [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good to know that they would likely provide a bus for people/bikes out to T1 on the day before. I did Raleigh 70.3 and we had to get our own bikes and self out there on the day before which was a pain.

I'm still not sold but I'm not sure anything would sell me given the cons I've heard so far. If I lived within driving distance that would be a big plus but it's a 13 hour drive from where I am. Drove that far to IM Texas once. Now with a kid, no thanks.

Seems like a good test for the Midwest and will be interesting to see it play out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pacco wrote:
That's good to know that they would likely provide a bus for people/bikes out to T1 on the day before. I did Raleigh 70.3 and we had to get our own bikes and self out there on the day before which was a pain.

I'm still not sold but I'm not sure anything would sell me given the cons I've heard so far. If I lived within driving distance that would be a big plus but it's a 13 hour drive from where I am. Drove that far to IM Texas once. Now with a kid, no thanks.

Seems like a good test for the Midwest and will be interesting to see it play out.

Certainly Tulsa isn't a place that will entice me to sign up and fly across the Pacific for a "destination race"..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which race is WTC trying to kill with this choice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't been to IM Canada in Penticton, I suggest you give it a try.
Great fun, beautiful course. And poutine trucks.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The run will go through the Gathering Place, which is an amazing park. That's probably the biggest highlight of the course, although i haven't seen the actual map.

The finish line is in a hip area of Tulsa, and there are some cool places to eat nearby and hotels in hobbling distance. Chimera is a great little coffee shop with good food, just a few blocks away. There's also a minor league ballpark right by the finish line, so it might be possible for the family to catch a game while you are racing or stressing out before the race.

The people of Tulsa really get behind Tulsa Tough (a bike race). It's the biggest party in Tulsa each year....no joke. It's a crazy place. This race will be a week before Tulsa Tough. Perhaps somebody in Tulsa can get the Cry Baby Hill people to come out and party it up on the run course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some selling points:

- The bike course will run generally West to East, so the bike course is not entirely into the 30 mph wind that blows from south to north in Oklahoma from May to October.

- On May 31 there's a good chance that the temperature will be below 100 with a dewpoint below 85, although I wouldn't count on it.

- Crosswinds and heat are good practice for Kona
Last edited by: HardlyTrying: Jun 12, 19 14:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn families! Nothing but an inconvenience and distraction. Why can’t we just IM without the families (pink).

japarker24 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
For an IM for the families that will go watch the race at the swim and then move to transition.........

IMHO, families at the swim start/T1 area of a 2 transition race are just unnecessary distractions for all involved.
Quote Reply

Prev Next