Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !!
Quote | Reply
We appreciate your continued patience and understanding while we have been developing options for you during this very dynamic time. After assessing all event scenarios, we are pleased to share with you the new race date and location for the 2020 IRONMAN Texas triathlon which is now scheduled to take place on Saturday, October 17, 2020 in Waco, Texas as part of a festival weekend with the 2020 Bicycle World Texas IRONMAN 70.3 Waco triathlon on Sunday, October 18, 2020.

Registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN Texas triathlon will have their race registration automatically moved to this new date, but we have also provided six additional race options if you are unable to race on October 17, 2020 in Waco, Texas. All seven options are listed below.

1. Remain in 2020 IRONMAN Texas (new location of Waco, Texas): October 17, 2020

2. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN Wisconsin: September 13, 2020

3. Free transfer to 2020 Select Blinds IRONMAN Maryland: September 19, 2020

4. Free Transfer to 2020 IRONMAN North American Championship St. George: September 19, 2020

5. Free transfer to 2020 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by McKee, A Family Bakery: September 27, 2020

6. Free transfer to 2020 Visit Panama City Beach IRONMAN Florida; November 7, 2020

7. Free deferral to 2021 Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas: April 24, 2021

Immediately following this communication, you will receive an email from Active with a link to select your race option. If you would like to compete on Oct. 17, 2020, no action is required at this time. If you choose to not remain in the new race date and location, you will have until May 11 at 11:59 p.m. ET to complete your new race selection in the provided Active link.

We also realize that this change may impact your travel arrangements, therefore registered athletes are advised to contact their travel providers immediately to inform them of your situation.

If you have additional questions, please contact texas@ironman.com.

Thank you for your commitment and we look forward to providing you with an exceptional race experience in the future.

The IRONMAN Texas Team
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [dhpflyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they're just going to double up on the 70.3 course, 4 trips up the hill in Cameron Park is going to be miserable.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [andrewhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really hoping they look at the Silo District Marathon course. Skips the hills completely.

https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2576887033

My bigger question is how they are going to pull off a 2.4 swim. I wouldn't be surprised if they left it 1.2 and then added a mile to the bike. The only other options are a loop (which with any current at all would be a disaster, but they do it on the OLY swim there in the summer) or start way, way up river.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [andrewhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewhtx wrote:
If they're just going to double up on the 70.3 course, 4 trips up the hill in Cameron Park is going to be miserable.

Yeah. This is cool, but that bike course is far more difficult than the Woodlands. How hard is the run course?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure if it’s typical, but there was zero current for the swim last year. I would bet they plan an out and back but have a backup plan to shorten it on race day to 1.2m (same as last years 70.3) if there’s current.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There goes any interest I had in doing Waco 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a mix, the first stretch out of T2 is straight and flat until you get to the park. There's a winding section that ascends about 100' in 0.6 miles and then some rollers at the top and a short gravel section before running down the same winding roads. There's another short climb that's about 40' in 0.1 miles and the back 3 or so miles is fairly flat and straight. The climbs are shaded so at least there's no sun, but you can get into big trouble if you don't manage your energy wisely on your second trip into the park.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even though they’re on different days?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh didn’t catch that! Will still play a factor in decision.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 27, 20 17:10
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still stringing along with hope... IMTX in 2021 is the best given option! And possibly still a stretch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was at the Waco half last year and it was hard to get a hotel room. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be with both races? I see they are trying to make it a fun weekend but Waco seems like a small place to jam all these people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a new world.... IM will need to provide options for people that will have travel restrictions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a bit disappointing in how IM is handling the events so far. i was signed up for a ultra earlier this month and even they (a very small operation) offered alternatives which included refunds and rescheduling + a voucher on top of that as a courtesy. not only are the IM events overpriced to begin with, they're awfully stingy.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
a bit disappointing in how IM is handling the events so far. i was signed up for a ultra earlier this month and even they (a very small operation) offered alternatives which included refunds and rescheduling + a voucher on top of that as a courtesy. not only are the IM events overpriced to begin with, they're awfully stingy.

Is that Ultra Arizona you are referring too?
Was thinking of "applying" for the Nov or April 2021 race.... but think i will wait a little. Application is 200 bucks and not sure how long you have to wait to hear back from them etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:

100% agree with you!

I appreciate that in normal time, the non refund policy is part of the business model... from race to race, they know that 30% will be no show.

Now this is not a normal time, and we are all forming new habits and we will all remember companies that have prioritized next quarter over long term relationship with clients.

Ex: in normal time, if you forced me to spend a week at home, i will have plan the next 2 years of bike updates, races and holidays... i did none of it, in big part because i got burned by airlines. I will not give them more money until that thing is over, everybody is likely to be doing the same, so it will take them a lot longer to recover... hopefully the same thing doesn't happen with IM (pretty sure no one has sign up for any late 2020 race since that thing began)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's nice they are offering transfers, I'd be waiting for 2021, not sure how things like Air BnB will function, putting up costs as at least big chains will be able to say we are COVID clean certified.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The current will always be hit or miss because they don't control the flow of the river. At the Oly last July I spent 13 minute on the 700M upstream and 9 minutes the rest of the swim.

I've heard already that they know they cannot do 4 loops through Cameron park. At TriWaco last year I was reduced to walking at one point up that stupid hill and I was still the overall age group winner. Which is a little bit of bragging of course, but also pointing out that the 1.5 mile ascent is legit. I flat out wont do an IM on that course if it involves going up that hill 4 times!

I do wonder how they possibly expect to get volunteers?

I am building a pool with a endless pool fast lane, so I'll invite you over in 10 weeks for a swim/bike brick workout!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, the Zion Ultra.

i literally felt bad for the organizers of these events since they do operate on such tight budgets and so to offer many reasonable options was just awesome. IM on the other hand, holy hell...they take your money and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:

They are offering 7 different transfer options to try and accommodate people who are affected by the postponement and I think that's more than fair. you want your money back and maybe an additional voucher? smh

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
casper3043 wrote:

100% agree with you!

I appreciate that in normal time, the non refund policy is part of the business model... from race to race, they know that 30% will be no show.

Now this is not a normal time, and we are all forming new habits and we will all remember companies that have prioritized next quarter over long term relationship with clients.

Respectfully disagree. I think providing 6 transfer options was great service and exceeded my expectation. To each his own, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, maybe i don't want to be forced into another IM if it's not this year. i don't see how that's an unreasonable request. a lot of these events are meant for a specific time in ones life - once that time passes, it passes. the sign up was an agreement for said event on said date - if that no longer holds true, i don't see how IM can legally hold your money and force you into another event of it's choosing. smh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, all those people at WTC holding a gun to your head and forcing you to race, smh. if you got the flu a few days before the race and were unable to go, would you want all your money back then also? "these events are made for a specific time in ones life" lol. give your fucking head a shake

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they open up pools I'll got to IM Florida, good to see they are trying with so many unknowns
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas IMTX NEW OPTIONS !! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
andrewhtx wrote:

Yeah. This is cool, but that bike course is far more difficult than the Woodlands. How hard is the run course?

Waco bike course is difficult????? I don't think so. It's just a typical Texas country road without any hills. Wind can be a huge variable though.
Run course is really tough. I think grade is about 8% and 0.8-1 mile long in Cameron Park.
I ran the first loop and broke down in the second loop. Heat and the hill can get you pretty bad.
Quote Reply

Prev Next