Ironman Switzerland
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there ever done this race?

Thanks,

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland [AJC NYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Anyone out there ever done this race?
[/reply]

5 times
what do you want to know?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am considering doing this race as my first Ironman. Anything useful you think I should know - climate, hills, etc. Basically, would you recommend this race to a first timer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes I would recomend it to a first timer.
why?

The swim is in a sweat water lake with very clear water. It's a two loop course, no big waves and it has a mass-start, which I think adds a lot to the excitment for a first timer. On a good weather day you'll have the sun coming up behind the mountains when you start the race, very inspiering moment.

The bike is fast but still hard. It has some tough climbs but you get rewarded by long less steep decents, that makes the course fast. Two loops, which I think is nice for starters because you know what you have to do again, it's easier to pace yourself.
History gave the race some rainy days, so be prepared on those smooth roads.

the run is dead flat and in the shade almost all the way. There is a ridiculous amount of aid-stations, you don't have enough time to swallow your gel and the next one is coming up.

The race is extremely well organized, lots of spectators, very competitive, not too much drafting, post race you'll get good food and a wirlpool waiting for you.

The organizers are arrogant business people but that's a very common thing around the world in Ironman races, with very possitive exceptions (e.g. Brasil).

It's a great race in MY opinion. I hope you're a good biker, then you'll have a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done the race. But I will do it this summer as my first IM. And I raced on some parts of the course (including heart brake hill) in the olympic distance tri that is the day before IM Switzerland and I watched IM Switzerland last year.
The climate in July is normally warm to hot (up to 35 degree celsius) and there is a chance for thunderstormms.
Heart Break Hill near transition is quite steep but short. There are longer less steep hills.
The run is in the city of Zurich mostly along the lake.
Ask if you have more (specific) questions.

Will anyone do IM Switzerland this summer?

Felix, Switzerland

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it this summer as well. It will also be my first IM. Damn I can't wait!!! I know of at least one other Slowtwitcher that was planning on going.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not done Switzerland either but my wife and I are planning on doing the race this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland [Bri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We could have a Slowtwitcher meeting in Zurich.

Felix, Switzerland

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been living in Zurich for 2 years now and will do IMCH for the 1st time in July.(will be my 4th IM) I'm regularly on the bike and run courses are they are stunningly beautiful. Be prepared to be patient on the bike--it's not mountainous, but there are a few significant hills which will keep you from having a bike PR. The run on the other hand is completely flat.

Any other info anyone needs about coming/staying/getting around in Zurich, just give me a shout..

Scott

www.scottherrick.com

Free Training Plans and Canvases: abetteranimal.com (IG: @abetteranimal )
Home Cooking: culaccinokitchen.com (IG: culaccinokitchen )
Zurich, Switzerland
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have to totally agree with what agret says, this is a great race, bike is challenging, and technical as it's super narrow.

The run is fast (my fiancee ran 3:06 there and she's normally around 3:10-3:15), though I think they've changed the course since then (2000) Also the weather contrary to what some say here can be absolutely horrendous......................2000 it was raining so hard that the parts on the grass turned into deep mud pits. Last year the weather sucked as well.

Race organizers put on a great race, but like agret says they are totaly business minded....................and male chauvinist as they pay huge bucks for the male pro's to show up but won't even pay the returning women's champion's airfare to do it..................

My fiancee is doing it again this year just because we are in europe at that time doing quelle challenge. HOpefully the weather will pan out this year
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland [canwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Also the weather contrary to what some say here can be absolutely horrendous......................2000 it was raining so hard that the parts on the grass turned into deep mud pits. Last year the weather sucked as well.[/reply]

Normally the weather should be warm/hot in July/August in Switzerland. But there can be colder/rainy days. Last year I did a tri on August 11. It was cold and rained the whole day. After the bike I couldn't feel me feets and had problems removing my helmet with my cold hands. Transition aera was more like a swamp.

Expect temperatures up to 35' Celsius in the afternoon. But have some cold/rain gear ready.

Felix, Switzerland

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland [canwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Race organizers put on a great race, but like agret says they are totaly business minded....................and male chauvinist as they pay huge bucks for the male pro's to show up but won't even pay the returning women's champion's airfare to do it..................[/reply]

YES, I's just like to post that one again, because I think it's important for people to know. Triathlon used to be different than other sports but it's getting more and more money-driven. If they pay athletes a starting bonus, then there should be clear rules that calculate how much for whom.
things like last years result, how many top ten in that specific race, world ranking etc. and there shouldn't be a difference between males and females, that's part of what makes our sport so great, that we all start at the gun, pros, AG, males, females...

[reply]
My fiancee is doing it again this year just because we are in europe at that time doing quelle challenge. HOpefully the weather will pan out this year[/reply]

Good luck!
She passed me late in the run, like a rocket. That deep mud was killing my calfs.
Quote Reply