Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman St George WC invitation to AWA Athlete
Quote | Reply
Some friends of mine received today an invitation to St George because they are AWA Gold, has anyone received the same invitation?
Last edited by: enricobraglia: Feb 2, 22 7:25
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman St George WC invitation to AWA Athlete [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got one this morning. Easy decision on my part as I didn't want to race Tulsa again and hadn't registered for a spring Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman St George WC invitation to AWA Athlete [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(Edit, 3 friends now) 3 friends of mine also based in Canada sent me a screenshot that they had the same email for being AWA Gold.

On the IM Ranking page, the last time they ranked is for 2019 but no listed at all in '20 and '21 (Canadians, not much racing opportunities in those 2 years)..

I am ranked as Gold for both 2019 and 2021 (I live by the border, I was able to race a few times in 2021)... and I did NOT get the invite. Unless it comes later today.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Last edited by: spocket: Feb 2, 22 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman St George WC invitation to AWA Athlete [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spocket wrote:
2 friends of mine also based in Canada sent me a screenshot that they had the same email.

On the IM Ranking page, they are both only listed as Gold for 2019 (Canadians, not much racing opportunities if any in 2020 and 2021)..

I am ranked as Gold for both 2019 and 2021 (I live by the border, I was able to race a few times in 2021)... and I did NOT get the invite. Unless it comes later today.

I'm ranked as Gold too for 2021 and I didn't receive the invite too ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am ranked gold and was hoping this would happen.

Have a couple of open emails asking to be kept in mind.

Noo...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received the email today.

Was a little surprised because I only did one ironman in 2021, but finished 1 spot off the podium. I wonder if they rolled it down via that way first?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got one as well. My last race was Kona 2019. I'm from Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just checked and got the email as well. Last IM was 2019 Kona for me. Pretty sure it's a no go for me. As a teacher, taking off time is pretty hard, and I already used my personal days go go to St. George back in September. I'm also registered for 2022 70.3 WC in St. George. I'm also not that into ramping up the training to IM loads right now.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got one. I was all in until the last checkbox as I was about to hit “go” on registration:

I acknowledge and understand I will participate in the Kukui Division at the IRONMAN World Championship. As a Kukui Division athlete, I will start with the Kukui Division and will not be eligible for age group awards or age group rankings.

I know I didn’t qualify outright but I also don’t suck either and I am not spending $1k on a race that I can’t be competitive in.

Quote | Reply
enricobraglia wrote:
Some friends of mine received today an invitation to St George because they are AWA Gold, has anyone received the same invitation?

Round 1 was athletes that completed at least 20 fulls. Round 2 is AWA Gold. Can’t help but think that they’re having trouble filling the field.

Also if you registered when it was Tier 1 versus the current price, it’s a $464 premium increase.
Last edited by: Bryan!: Feb 2, 22 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman St George WC invitation to AWA Athlete [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan! wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:

Round 1 was athletes that completed at least 20 fulls. Round 2 is AWA Gold. Can’t help but think that they’re having trouble filling the field.

Also if you registered when it was Tier 1 versus the current price, it’s a $464 premium increase.

Round 2 AWA GOLD ... but not for all AWA Gold!! I can't understand the criteria, maybe random??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enricobraglia wrote:
Bryan! wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:

Round 2 AWA GOLD ... but not for all AWA Gold!! I can't understand the criteria, maybe random??

Perhaps they’re cherry picking age groups where numbers are low.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman St George WC invitation to AWA Athlete [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just noticed that as well. This changes my opinion....

I did qualify and elected to keep my Kona slot. Now you want me to help fill gaps and you tell me I can't start with my AG?? Hard Pass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryan! wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:
Bryan! wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:
Some friends of mine received today an invitation to St George because they are AWA Gold, has anyone received the same invitation?[/quote]

Also if you registered when it was Tier 1 versus the current price, it’s a $464 premium increase.[/quote]

Round 2 AWA GOLD ... but not for all AWA Gold!! I can't understand the criteria, maybe random??[/quote]

Perhaps they’re cherry picking age groups where numbers are low.[/quote]
I got one, there is currently no one in my age group so that might be true.

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it this morning
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman St George WC invitation to AWA Athlete [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
I got one. I was all in until the last checkbox as I was about to hit “go” on registration:

I acknowledge and understand I will participate in the Kukui Division at the IRONMAN World Championship. As a Kukui Division athlete, I will start with the Kukui Division and will not be eligible for age group awards or age group rankings.

I know I didn’t qualify outright but I also don’t suck either and I am not spending $1k on a race that I can’t be competitive in.

Now this is interesting.. I do not see this in my link. I am seriously considering.

Can you post a screenshot?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman St George WC invitation to AWA Athlete [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
IKnowEverything wrote:

Now this is interesting.. I do not see this in my link. I am seriously considering.

Can you post a screenshot?

I think it was fixed or they scrapped the idea. I wrote Ironman this morning and I just got a response saying the issue should be resolved. My link no longer has the disclaimer.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman St George WC invitation to AWA Athlete [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you click your registration link, it’ll be at the bottom…. But here’s a screenshot.

I have much more of an issue with the bait and switch attempt, rather than the fact that it’s a Kukui wave. I get that I didn’t qualify, but don’t tell me in the email that you’re letting me race world champs - and then tell me I’m not really RACING, since I won’t be ranked, scored, etc., once it’s time to pay.

What’s funny is I have a bunch of friends that signed up for the race before it was Qorlds, they paid the standard IM registration fee, and now they’re racing the WC race. We get to pay over $1k, and our results don’t count? Hard pass.

Quote | Reply
thanks for sharing.. yeah that is not in mine- See above. It looks like that was removed. Are you still seeing it?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha - no, looks like they removed it!

St George here I come, I guess!

Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
If you click your registration link, it’ll be at the bottom…. But here’s a screenshot.

I have much more of an issue with the bait and switch attempt, rather than the fact that it’s a Kukui wave. I get that I didn’t qualify, but don’t tell me in the email that you’re letting me race world champs - and then tell me I’m not really RACING, since I won’t be ranked, scored, etc., once it’s time to pay.

What’s funny is I have a bunch of friends that signed up for the race before it was Qorlds, they paid the standard IM registration fee, and now they’re racing the WC race. We get to pay over $1k, and our results don’t count? Hard pass.

I didn't look up numbers - are there going to be more "regular" people there racing than WC people? I registered for the race before it was declared the WC, and opted not to switch to any other race. So here I am racing the WC without qualifying and I don't really like that idea. But the options for transfer were unappealing to me... so here I am
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it too, i'm Canadian and i was AWA Gold from the races in 2019... including Nice WC.

No race since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryan! wrote:

Another option is they're taking the highest ranked AWA gold? For those that got the email, any 48 hr language like the typical roll-down emails?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, not sure I wanted that email. Eager to race and travel, but I am not sure 100%. The hotels have jacked the prices up as well.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman St George WC invitation to AWA Athlete [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Bryan! wrote:

Another option is they're taking the highest ranked AWA gold? For those that got the email, any 48 hr language like the typical roll-down emails?

I’m first in my AG in my country and 32th overall and I didn’t receive anything 🤷🏻‍♂️
Quote Reply

Prev Next