Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Santa Rosa - Radio Silence
Quote | Reply
Anyone have the inside track on the "postponement" of this race? Not having a transfer options or a potential next date while other races had options available in the notification meeting makes it hard to adapt training. My money is on full cancellation as California is being more cautious than most and deferring to 2021 is not an option as this is the race's last year, but curious if anyone on the forum has any inside information as it has been almost two weeks with no updates.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Santa Rosa - Radio Silence [kwikfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no inside info, but I think we will get an option to defer to Ironman California in Sacramento in October 2021 since Santa Rosa is off the calendar. Sacramento isnt that far from Santa Rosa so this would seem like the most logical replacement race. I also am hoping this is the case since my sister lives near sacramento so I have a free place to stay.

Personally if they try to reschedule to later this year say Oct-Dec I am not likely to participate. I have other events trying to reschedule in that time frame, and if it isnt cancelled it will be cyclocross season.

As far as training I am starting a hard cycling block now, and will resume swimming whenever masters swimming resumes. I really need to start running again, but with no races in the near future I lack the motivation and I don't really enjoy running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got a two emails (for the 70.3 and the full) expecting to see some sort of news - and nope, it was like they realized they had been totally silent and had missed the 70.3 race weekend and needed to reach out. The emails state they'll have decision(s) by the end of May.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Santa Rosa - Radio Silence [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I got the same e-mail. I don't think they understand the difference between sending out an e-mail and sending out an update. I've been pinging them every couple of weeks by e-mail and have been receiving the same sort of non-informational responses the entire time. It's time they s*&% or get off the pot.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Santa Rosa - Radio Silence [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue with Sacramento as a replacement is it is 3 months later (October 24, 2021) with an undefined course. The allure of an end of July race allows for a Kona build, a pivot to marathon training, or enjoying non-triathlon summer activities with our families.

Going on a limb, I anticipate many of the transfer races offered to other postponed races (Wisconsin, etc) are near capacity and cannot take on the additional demand, otherwise the prudent course of action would be to offer alternative 2020 races (which may likely end up cancelled) and caveat they are still working on postponement/deferral options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And now we are into June...no updates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya. Not surprising to me as a resident of one of the 6 Bay Area counties that worked together for the shelter in place, to be honest, but I think I've finally come to terms with no racing in 2020. Just would appreciate communication from these two races the same way all the other races shared information. Maybe we'll see something today. Not holding my breath though.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I do not expect to race, but let's just close out the issue rather than stringing people along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the 70.3, they've been stringing us along since May with not even a postponement announcement.

So yeah, it's not like WTC gives a shit.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Santa Rosa - Radio Silence [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did receive a postponement announcement from them for the 70.3 when it was first postponed. I reached out to them several times since then requesting more information and/or a refund, and each time I received a boilerplate reply basically saying "it's complicated". After much promptnig from many people, they finally put out a statement a couple of weeks ago saying they would make a statement about the race by the end of May. I can't say I'm particularly surprised that this came and went without the promised announcement.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Santa Rosa - Radio Silence [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any guesses on deferment options for SR 70.3? I am interested in CDA 70.3 on Sep 6 wish they could make an announcement already!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least your race "exists" in their eyes and is listed on the update page (which was recently updated to remove the "we will update by end of May" language). While full participants got the email in early May, it is not even listed on https://www.ironman.com/updates. Out of sight, out of mind...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They finally announced our options.

1. Remain in 2020 IRONMAN Santa Rosa: October 17, 2020
2. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN Wisconsin: September 13, 2020
3. Free transfer to 2020 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by McKee, A Family Bakery: September 27, 2020
4. Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN Texas: October 17, 2020
5. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN Coeur d’Alene: June 27, 2021

I was hoping for more 2021 options. I've basically written off my 2020 season. I don't know if i'll be ready to travel by September or October. Looks like I'll probably be doing Coer d'Alene in 2021.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok - we got the email. Biggest news is that the 70.3 and full are now the same day (Oct 17, 2020). Did anyone get an email from WTC/Ironman, or did only Active emails go out?

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim13 wrote:
Ok - we got the email. Biggest news is that the 70.3 and full are now the same day (Oct 17, 2020). Did anyone get an email from WTC/Ironman, or did only Active emails go out?

I got emails from both. The one from ironman came about 20 minutes before the one from Active.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim13 wrote:

Perfect. Right around the time the second wave of Covid-19 is forecast to hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I deferred my 70.3 to 2021. Too many risks in 2020, I'd rather do a couple of self supported races right now and maybe a small local race or 2 in fall depending on how things are going.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean... right? I'm so curious to see what other folks are doing. I really want to race Santa Rosa (being the last one), but I just can't believe 2020 is still in the cards.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Santa Rosa - Radio Silence [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the same. No way am I racing for the rest of 2020.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Santa Rosa - Radio Silence [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I deferred to 2021. Always wanted to visit Coeur d’alene
Quote Reply