Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Races moved to Fall
Quote | Reply
Does IM really have their shit together such as permits, volunteers, etc., to hold these moved races this fall? Are they just giving us false hope and actually planning to move them to 2021, or are these new race dates realistic?

I'm signed up for IM 70.3 Des Moines at the end of June. I'm resigned to the fact that this race will almost certainly be moved to 2021. As of now, it's still on, but I'm sure IM plans to move it to the fall. I just don't see them having the permits and community support (volunteers) to launch this fall. Remember a lot of the vokunteers are retirees and young kids. This COVID-19 could put a serious monkey wrench into IM's logistics going forward. As a parent are you really letting your kids out there at aid stations this fall? If you're retired are you willing to have a bunch of randos sling fluids around your vicinity in a few months? My guess is no.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Races moved to Fall [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just took the $75 refund on Des Moines 70.3. No desire to take the risk this year.

Another issue is how would Ironman even have the staff to stage all of these events in such close proximity if they are moved to the Fall? Maybe they can do it, but you can't have like 40 events September-November.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the same boat for SteelHead 70.3, set for the end of June, as of now still on.
I was optimistic for it to happen, but now that i have been out of the pool for nearly a month and a half and likely the gym/pool not opening until May 2nd at the earliest i am shifting to hoping it is delayed or we all get deferred until 2021.
Of course swimming is my worst discipline, and the Lake Michigan swim can be difficult
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weather in Des Moines is such that they cannot have a fall race. They could perhaps push it to the first half of September latest. Would be amazing to do in mid/late August when the state fair is happening, but that's probably too early in the recovery from this fiasco.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Races moved to Fall [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DSM was officially announced as not happening on schedule today. I'm actually surprised they announced so early. Anyhow, someone told me they may try to do it in October. I guess Ironman's motto is 'Anything Is Possible', but that sounds heinously cold to me . . . will be deferring to next year for sure (assuming that's an option).

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Races moved to Fall [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s the process for getting a refund?
Quote Reply