Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Nutrition - What (if any) do you do in addition to TAILWIND? (S Caps, Solid Food)
Quote | Reply
Thanks in advance!

Looking at using Tailwind for Ironman Texas. I've had a good experience with it thus far however am having a bit of a mental hurdle in regards to not popping pills or eating solids.

I feel the need for some reason to still use S-Caps and also eat solids to get over the hungry feeling.

For those who use Tailwind do you strictly use it or supplement?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nutrition - What (if any) do you do in addition to TAILWIND? (S Caps, Solid Food) [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never used tailwind but did IMMD on Infinite and it did me well the entire day. I did eat one cliffbar right as I got on the bike to make up for the no nutrition in the water. All in all, depends on what your body needs. every reply here will be different. good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nutrition - What (if any) do you do in addition to TAILWIND? (S Caps, Solid Food) [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tailwind is designed as an all day fuel. No need to supplement. If you're doing 3 scoops on hour it's 300 calories with over 900mg's of of sodium.

But, totally understand if you want something different. Granted I've never used it for IM but I do for ultra runs. My formula is 2 scoops per hour plus whatever savory foods are available at aid stations if I'm a bit hungry.

From past experience adding most gels or salt tabs to the mix is a surefire way to lead to an upset stomach. The one gel I've found that doesn't conflict with Tailwind for me is Huma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Tailwind pretty much exclusively for IMLoo last October and it was fantastic. If you feel hungry while doing long sessions on the bike or run, I strongly urge you to start doubling up on your scoops in your water bottle or to start taking in more on the bike.

Inevitably after 10 or so hours of constant forward motion I felt the need to just chew on *something*. I had strong cravings for potato chips during training so that's what I had in my SN bag during the run, and they were heaven.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: Mar 27, 18 6:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used it in tri and ultras. for IM I only used it on the bike, lived off the course for the run. For the bike I supplemented with clif z-bars, clif blocks, and a couple gu gels from a bento and handups. Gave me the mix of whatever sounded good at the time/consistency but allowed me to not feel much pressure as I knew I was getting decent calories/sodium from the tailwind. Lots of people seem to roll wtih just tailwind and no solids just fine, I have just felt good knowing there is a bar waiting for me if I want. I have never felt the need for additional sodium while using tailwind whether in tri or ultras.
Quote Reply