Quote | Reply
is it in the news?
I didn't see it announced

http://eu.ironman.com/...d.aspx#axzz4llcKbylU

it has to be a great event, based on the 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Norway [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was announced on the Ironman 70.3 Norway/Haugesund facebook site 16th of June, also "announced" on the race brief on Saturday. Did the 70.3 (my first) yesterday.. Just a great race even though the weather was pretty bad. Already booked hotel for next year as they're filling up really quick.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Norway [hhetland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hhetland wrote:
It was announced on the Ironman 70.3 Norway/Haugesund facebook site 16th of June, also "announced" on the race brief on Saturday. Did the 70.3 (my first) yesterday.. Just a great race even though the weather was pretty bad. Already booked hotel for next year as they're filling up really quick.

about the bike course with wet conditions: is it technical making it challenging or no impact at all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:

about the bike course with wet conditions: is it technical making it challenging or no impact at all?

The top men averaged around 37-41 km/h yesterday with quite wet conditions and somewhere around 10 m/s side- and headwinds. I wouldn't say it's very technical but I guess that depends on what you're used to. If you're not comfortable riding in aerobars on wet roads with less than 6m width at high speed I guess it can be.. I'm very new and didn't really have much trouble or "close calls" averaging almost 30 km/h. The sharp turns have signs well ahead and volunteers waving their arms for you to slow down.

I don't know what the new bike routes going to look like, but I think they're going to "widen" the already established route as it's a very, very nice route!
Last edited by: hhetland: Jul 3, 17 5:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is a bizarre looking swim course. Not sure how you call that a one loop when it has ~12 turns.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed the Half-Ironman race on July, 2.
The weather was ok for me. I don't like heat, so clouds and rain didn't bother me at all.

Bike course was fantastic, even though I've pumped my tubes at max (8-8.5 atm), resistance was perfect and I didn't worry a lot about falling. Bike time was 2:28:19 (so speed around 36.5 km/hour).
Highly recommend the race and I probably return for the full distance next year.
Can answer questions if you got some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
is it in the news?
I didn't see it announced

http://eu.ironman.com/...d.aspx#axzz4llcKbylU

it has to be a great event, based on the 70.3

I saw the Facebook announcement last month. The 70.3 had been on my radar but going to a full shot it to the top of my bucket list, and I registered when it opened up earlier this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Norway [hhetland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they are going to a single loop 112 mile bike so I am not sure what lessons you can take from past years.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Norway [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first 90 kilometers are the same as previous years :-)
Last edited by: hhetland: Jul 13, 17 4:21
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Norway [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
Wow, that is a bizarre looking swim course. Not sure how you call that a one loop when it has ~12 turns.

It reminds me of Ironman Regensburg where we swam in a quarry going all over the place. Every race has its peculiarities. Regardless, I am registered, rooms booked, and will be racing in Norway next summer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
DFWTri wrote:

It reminds me of Ironman Regensburg where we swam in a quarry going all over the place. Every race has its peculiarities. Regardless, I am registered, rooms booked, and will be racing in Norway next summer!

at least I booked the last room at Scandic hotel
about to register with my wife

not easy to reach though, landing in Oslo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be coming from Florida via Iceland to Bergen, then bus/ferry to Haugesund. I don't like cold weather for day to day living but I am exceptionally cold tolerant when racing. My wife and and I will be at the Scandic Maritim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

Just a short info from your race manager :-)

the swim will be fast and easy as you have lanes all the way. It is like swimming a go-cart lane and you dont have to worry about seeing the buoys. it will be exactly 3800m.

Bike is rolling by norwegians standard. elevation is 2000m(yes there is a mistake in the map that will be corrected, we found out trough testing, says 1170m)

It is fun , technical and will have lots of crowds all the way. Probably the most beautiful Ironman bike course world wide and exactly 180.2km

As there are lots of small ups and downs it will break up drafting in a very good way. Specially from 100 - 180 km.

Run , 4 loops, great crowds 42.2km exactly.(will be approved by the norwegian running federation)

To get to Haugesund is easy. Fly in via Oslo to Haugesund. Airport is 15min out of town. SAS or Norwegian.
Alternativ Stavanger, 2hours by bus(incl ferry) , Bergen 3 hours by bus (incl ferry)

When in Haugesund everything is within a 10 min walk.

Take care and good look with your training. Looking forward to see you all in Haugesund, homeland of the viking kings, #coldkona.

Ivar
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Norway [ivar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11 months to go! More Americans should consider this IM. If you can't get into Norseman or are too old to have a chance at a black T-shirt (that would be me), then here is a great alternative. I'm looking forward to putting another Nordic country stamp on my passport!

I hope Paul Kaye is announcing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really glad you are going with official measurements and hope several other races follow! Gonna try my luck at Norseman again, but otherwise I will def sign up.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So do I, but as we are on the same weekend as Klagenfurt which was Pauls first race in europe, and he has done all of them, i know i have a job to do.

But we also have 3 local announcers that has been with us from 2012 and worked with paul 2012-2016. They are good, and among them Ellis Del Sol born and raised in San Diego. So you will be well taken care of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ivar-

Very interested in your event. Hoping to do it with my cousin TJ Tollakson. Currently in negotiations with my wife, whom I promised I would NOT be doing an Ironman next year, but I'm really leveraging the family/ancestry angle and I think it is working!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Norway [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We all have the same negotiations :-)

Tj was here 2013, it would be fun if you bring him back. As you might know his norwegian herritage is from Haugesund. I think it is his great great grandfather that is buried on our local graveyard.(and you pass it on the run)

Good luck with the negotiations :-)

Ivar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ivar wrote:
So do I, but as we are on the same weekend as Klagenfurt which was Pauls first race in europe, and he has done all of them, i know i have a job to do.

But we also have 3 local announcers that has been with us from 2012 and worked with paul 2012-2016. They are good, and among them Ellis Del Sol born and raised in San Diego. So you will be well taken care of.

I have no doubt!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm putting this one on my bucket list. The company I work for has their HQ in Denmark so I need to have some business meetings around that time, to help with travel costs ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all, just wondering what the anticipated water temp would be and if a wetsuit swim can be expected?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Norway [9crimes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9crimes wrote:
Hi all, just wondering what the anticipated water temp would be and if a wetsuit swim can be expected?

Being from Florida I'm always interested in water temps. I've watched just about all the past 70.3s there on youtube and its 100% wetsuit guaranteed. From RRs I've read you can anticipate 60-62F.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
9crimes wrote:
From RRs I've read you can anticipate 60-62F.

Oofta!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Norway [9crimes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

Sorry for the late reply.

Water temp is almost always about 18-18.5c. So i am quite sure it will be a wet suit swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
finally decided to register

i will fly to Oslo and then connect to Haugesund. was thinking to drive from Oslo but it is 7+ hrs. too much honestly

bike course reports 2k total ascent but it is not clear how this 2k is cumulated. it seems to be short climbs all the way. i wonder if it is a straight rolling or with lot of turns...more technical
who has more info? bike course probably has nothing to do with 70.3 course
Quote Reply

Prev Next