Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman New Zealand - Winter Training?
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone. This is my first post and please share your knowledge/expertise.

I'm new to triathlon (my first and only one was a sprint that was three years ago, when I forgot my running shoes and walked the run segment with my bike shoes...not fun). Since that unfortunate episode, I've mainly run (marathons/ 1/2 marathons), biked, and swum as individual events at distances equal to Ironman distances. I know I can do the distances for each individual event, but haven't tried putting all three together back to back. Well, I think it's time...

Anyway, I am thinking of registering for the Ironman New Zealand 2012 that occurs in early March (NZ has a personal meaning to me and I wouldn't want to do my first Ironman anywhere else).
I am in the process of "mapping" out my training races for 2011 and early 2012, but having major problems finding races during the off-season. I live in San Francisco.

So I am wondering whether anyone here has experience "reversing" their training plans, such that the summer is used as "off-season" training and the winter as "competitive season" training?
Can I substitute winter trail running races/snowshoe races than duathlon races?
Are there training plans that cater to endurance athletes whose training regimen is reversed (e.g. Athletes who live in Northern Hemisphere, but race in the S. Hemisphere)? In a way, i still want to compete during the summer...so I am just a bit concerned over whether if I peak in the summer months than I won't be able to peak when March comes.

Thanks!!!
Alan
Quote Reply