Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled ?
Quote | Reply
Found this in the local Quebec news: https://www.journaldequebec.com/...vus-dici-la-fin-aout [/url]
Last edited by: BrickMick: Apr 10, 20 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put it in the pile;

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...iathlon_Forum_F1/Let’s_keep_track_of_major_endurance_events_held_and_cancelled_P7164321/?forum_view=forum_view_collapsed&;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waiting for some more direct confirmation. From this I can only assume that they can not hold it.
monty wrote:
Put it in the pile;

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...iathlon_Forum_F1/Let’s_keep_track_of_major_endurance_events_held_and_cancelled_P7164321/?forum_view=forum_view_collapsed&;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really, dont see how any big race is going to happen this summer, anywhere in the world. Even if you happen to be in a spot that was lightly hit, and things are back to normal and fine, who is going to be coming to your race? Most of the world right now, people cannot swim, and can barley run or ride outside, if allowed. What are folks going to do with some ironman in aug/sept/ oct, go out and buy the two week ironman training plan? It is one thing to be able to have a race, another for all your entrants to actually be able to train for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is similar to the way Oceanside was cancelled ...... The press was alerted to a cancelled permit for the race that was posted on the county website for and then it disappeared? Perhaps IM threatened the county to remove it so they could announce postponement?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled ? [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way bigger than IM Tremblant is all the pro sports in Montreal and all the festivals in Montreal being cancelled.

the huge one is the Grand Prix of Canada Formula 1 race in Montreal:

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/...9-pandemic-1.4886577

The tris in Montreal are small potatoes....

Quebec does not have to worry about pro baseball in Montreal this summer anymore so that makes this easier. This is going to kill the Quebec tourist economy!

ITU WCS Montreal plus Canadian Championships weekend of 25-28 June was already postponed a few weeks ago so this makes any potential backup date a none starter until Sept, but there are only 3 weekends in Sep that its viable to have triathlon in Montreal before it gets too cold.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yet then there is this.....just stupid politics?

https://montrealgazette.com/...-earlier-than-may-4/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled ? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive no 'axe to grind' on this one - I'm not in Canada.

But there seems to be some views in some countries that the benefit of closing schools on the overall results is minimal. Certainly some of that in the UK (before the Gov followed public opinion and closed them) - and closing schools can in turn take away care workers as they're home tending their kids rather than being doctors, nurses, paramedics etc. (In the UK scjols are still running to provide day care for the kids of key workers and vilnerable - so typically 15-20% i think (my wife is a teacher and her school is open for the key workers kids - inc over the Easter holiday 2 weeks that are usually closed.

Sweden still has schools OPEN fully for example on that same 'makes little difference' basis (i spoke with a few Swedes earlier this week who told me that).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only way there is going to be any racing this year including Kona is if somebody finds a magic bullet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrickMick wrote:
Found this in the local Quebec news: https://www.journaldequebec.com/...vus-dici-la-fin-aout [/url]

Can I get a translation? I'm signed up for IMMT

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled ? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The province of Quebec is asking to cancel all cultural and sporting events through the end of August.
The Ironman update page just officially posted the 70.3 tremblant as postponed.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled ? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
The province of Quebec is asking to cancel all cultural and sporting events through the end of August.

Yeah, I google translated it and saw the post on the IMMT FB page, shitty. To be expected I guess, still sucks though

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled ? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

Yeah, I google translated it and saw the post on the IMMT FB page, shitty. To be expected I guess, still sucks though

There seems to be some backpedalling already:

https://www.lapresse.ca/...rcrEx-PqCLxYTpZs-dBM

Its saying it may not apply to Pro sports (Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Impact from MLS, and Montreal Alouettes from CFL)...its saying the WTA Rogers cup in mid Aug is "uncertain". Still IM Tremblant is not off the hook, but its a pro event too and I'd argue that the fans of that pro event are the age group entrants....and Tremblant has a degree of cloute in Quebec tourism. They lost the back end of their ski season and losing most of the summer festival season. If the town can revive the IM on a "pro sport loophole" I have no doubt they will try. Plus the Quebec Govt is a sponsor of IM Tremblant.

So don't give up yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not replying to your post, just replying since i'm registered for this event.

Jus cancelled the house 8 of us were getting their in Mont T. Didn't want to but the "Strick 60 day cancellation window" made it no other choice. We are fully committed to still going...but we don't believe it will happen. Here is the thing: we have mixed views on "refunds". At first I'm all about getting my money back. These races aren't cheap. But there was an article/letter/something that went around talking about the profit margins and the pre-planning $$ for permits and gear and...that is already spent. After reading that, I am content with not getting a single penny back. Would I want a full refund: yes. But I also understand that these entities are businesses and something shit is out of their control. This is one of them. I've talked to my group and most now are on the same page, but a few are still upset that they'll lose their money and want a "full refund". I told them the "full refund" isn't an option, so to get over that. But to also try to see it from the company's point of view. It isn't like all of a sudden they are making a bunch of money by not holding the race.

Anyways, just thought i'd put that out there for those that are mulling over their spot and their entry fee for upcoming races that may get cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

There seems to be some backpedalling already:

https://www.lapresse.ca/...rcrEx-PqCLxYTpZs-dBM

Its saying it may not apply to Pro sports (Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Impact from MLS, and Montreal Alouettes from CFL)...its saying the WTA Rogers cup in mid Aug is "uncertain". Still IM Tremblant is not off the hook, but its a pro event too and I'd argue that the fans of that pro event are the age group entrants....and Tremblant has a degree of cloute in Quebec tourism. They lost the back end of their ski season and losing most of the summer festival season. If the town can revive the IM on a "pro sport loophole" I have no doubt they will try. Plus the Quebec Govt is a sponsor of IM Tremblant.

So don't give up yet.

The end of the article seems pretty clear, plus I assume WTC would need the official go ahead by mid June to actually pull off the event?

Roughly translated last part of the article:

In the afternoon on Friday, the Minister responsible for education, Isabelle Charest, said: "Our priority remains to protect the health of the population.
It has become clear that public sporting events cannot take place this summer. […] In addition to these types of events, we want young people to be able to return to
their sport and activities as quickly as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled ? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweden still has schools OPEN fully for example on that same 'makes little difference' basis (i spoke with a few Swedes earlier this week who told me that). //

Not that I dont believe your friends, but here is an excerpt from a few days ago, and it is just getting a lot worse;

As for deaths, by April 8, coronavirus accounted for 67 fatalities per one million Swedish citizens, according to the Swedish Health Ministry.
Norway had 19 deaths per million, Finland seven per million. The number of deaths rose 16 per cent on Wednesday.
I think as of today, they are at nearly an 8% death rate to positive cases. Of course testing has a lot to do with that number, but as of now, they are surpassing the worst of the worst in Europe, and doing much worse than their neighbors that are doing the opposite. OF course if your goal is herd immunity as quickly as possible, not worrying about the % of deaths, they are certainly going to get there before the rest of the world. So in that sense they will be winners I suppose..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, you did read the article you linked, right?

”Two government sources confirmed to La Presse that the measure will ultimately not apply to professional teams, such as the Canadiens, the Impact and the Alouettes. On the other hand, if the clubs want to resume their activities this summer, they will have to respect the spectator limits imposed by the government. Currently, gatherings of more than 250 people are prohibited.“

Your myopia has become nauseating. No offense. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jus cancelled the house 8 of us were getting their in Mont T. //

I think that is a good move for you and your friends, there is just so much wrong going on right now to be thinking about doing some big race 1000's of miles away. And the entry fees are pretty much gone, and if you get some future % off another race, that will probably be the best you could hope for. I know WTC is a big corporation and all, but a lot of these races are still local in nature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m from Montreal.

A few notes:
- Quebec government asked to cancel all festivals and sports events until August 31st.
- F1 Grand Prix is not cancelled at the moment but postponed...
- Schools could possibly re-open before May 4th.
- So far 99% of the deaths in Quebec province are for people over 60 years
- We can’t travel at the moment to several regions within Quebec Province to avoid the spread of Covid-19. As an example, we can’t go up North in the region called Laurentides where the Ironman Tremblant events occurs from Montreal.

- 2014 Worlds 70.3 Tremblant were in September... so this might still be a possibility.
- F1 Grand Prix could also occur in September first Edition of Canada Grand Prix 1978 was the first weekend of October that year, but saw a few flurries.
- Esprit Triathlon is in September so might see some juggling if they go against the Grand Prix.

To be honest, I don’t see sporting events occurring in the area in 2020... because of Covid-19 and the requested 2 meters between people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Jus cancelled the house 8 of us were getting their in Mont T. //

I think that is a good move for you and your friends, there is just so much wrong going on right now to be thinking about doing some big race 1000's of miles away. And the entry fees are pretty much gone, and if you get some future % off another race, that will probably be the best you could hope for. I know WTC is a big corporation and all, but a lot of these races are still local in nature.
Yup. I'm still committed if it opens up, but right now I just have my tickets to NV to get the bike before flying over, so I can wait on tickets and all of that as more comes to light.

I think Dan posted the article on the front page here (I don't recall exactly) and it was a really good article about the races and fees. It changed my mind about wanting any type of refund.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IMMT facebook page has an update saying they are looking at the Quebec news announcement......I'd say the plug will be officially pulled sooner than later...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, today Québec goverment announced every major cultural and sports events are forbidden before august 31st.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled ? [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight. Just thinking about where it could realistically fit in the 2020 calendar. I can’t imagine anything past the first half of September.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled ? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Sweden still has schools OPEN fully for example on that same 'makes little difference' basis (i spoke with a few Swedes earlier this week who told me that). //

Not that I dont believe your friends, but here is an excerpt from a few days ago, and it is just getting a lot worse;

As for deaths, by April 8, coronavirus accounted for 67 fatalities per one million Swedish citizens, according to the Swedish Health Ministry.
Norway had 19 deaths per million, Finland seven per million. The number of deaths rose 16 per cent on Wednesday.
I think as of today, they are at nearly an 8% death rate to positive cases. Of course testing has a lot to do with that number, but as of now, they are surpassing the worst of the worst in Europe, and doing much worse than their neighbors that are doing the opposite. OF course if your goal is herd immunity as quickly as possible, not worrying about the % of deaths, they are certainly going to get there before the rest of the world. So in that sense they will be winners I suppose..

Hey Monty, Sweden's deaths per 1 million is substantially lower than all of the below as of today:

France
Italy
Spain
Belgium
Netherlands
UK
Switzerland

and they have kept their economy running while focusing on the vulnerable. Sweden's deaths per 1M is around 30 more than the USA, but their economy is open.

But back to the thread as Alex (MTL) says its possible for Tremblant 70.3 or the full IM Tremblant to just be moved into early Sept but not both.

Unlike Montreal, which has normal business and huge tourism, Tremblant has NOTHING other than tourism. So if there is a way for the town to have it, they are going to push for it because everything there will be economically dead without events. And if they have it late summer or early Sept there will be thousands of additonal hotel nights and restaurant evening sold locally. This is not like your local US based Mdot race where all the locals are against it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Mont Tremblant cancelled ? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Dev, you did read the article you linked, right?

”Two government sources confirmed to La Presse that the measure will ultimately not apply to professional teams, such as the Canadiens, the Impact and the Alouettes. On the other hand, if the clubs want to resume their activities this summer, they will have to respect the spectator limits imposed by the government. Currently, gatherings of more than 250 people are prohibited.“

Your myopia has become nauseating. No offense. :-)

Wait....you're coming on a triathlon forum complaining about people interested in triathlon events happening this year if there is a chance for said events to happen. You must also be the guy driving by a car accident on the highway hoping people are dead !!!! OK we're both going to have different perspective on life. I believe your paycheque comes form a govt agency so whether there is a functioning economy or not it does not change your picture. I probably have more empathy for the various people in the food chain of events from organizers, to hotels, to airlines, to restaurants (not just sport events, but general biz events too) that I would like to see a return to those happening sooner or later. The deaths of businesses and associated impact on employees (including deaths) are collateral damage as the virtual bus driving full speed to save people from Corona virus just drives over everything in the way, killing anything nearby on the way to taking care of the virus.
Quote Reply

Prev Next