Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Med Tent IV bags
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what is typically in the IV bags in an ironman med tent? Are they saline or glucose?

I got one in Chattanooga and trying to figure out some nutrition issues.

Thanks

https://www.strava.com/athletes/773280
http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/
teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Med Tent IV bags [IM_Roycer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was NS (normal saline 0.9% which contains 154 mEq/liter) at the Kona med tent. Not sure if there is any variety between races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done medical for a few races, all use normal saline. It is possible some might use lactated ringers, but for a bolus of fluid for dehydration in an adult, MDs would not use a solution with glucose it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
Does anyone know what is typically in the IV bags in an ironman med tent? Are they saline or glucose?

Thanks

how did you get one? I had full on heat stroke and they just gave me a gatorade! From what I understand it's just saline

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Med Tent IV bags [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s pretty serious for them to just push Gatorade. What was your core temp? Brain damage can happen with heat stroke. Bad treatment in my opinion, I’m not a doctor or paramedic but seems pretty bad on their part.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Med Tent IV bags [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
That’s pretty serious for them to just push Gatorade. What was your core temp? Brain damage can happen with heat stroke. Bad treatment in my opinion, I’m not a doctor or paramedic but seems pretty bad on their part.

They didn't even measure core temp. I had stopped sweating and I was cold despite it being 96 degrees outside. Pee was dark brown. First time in medical so I wasn't even sure how it's meant to work, but yeah they gave me plain water which I didn't want and then a Gatorade. They did ask my name; maybe because I knew the answer they figured I was ok!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
possibly, when you are cold they do not give IV bags as the IV itself is cold and will lower body temp. if the gatorade was cold, then there goes my theory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Chattanooga they were super tight with IVs. Not sure why.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM_Roycer81 wrote:

Hopefully you filled out/filed your Emergency TUE for your WADA violation ;)

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Med Tent IV bags [yukmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yukmonkey wrote:
At Chattanooga they were super tight with IVs. Not sure why.

Pretty sure for a few years now the medical community has consider there to be an IV shortage in the US, which gets exacerbated by natural disasters and influenza at times.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Last edited by: Quo Vadimus: Oct 20, 19 11:22
Quote Reply