Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman LP: is staying two hours away too far?
Quote | Reply
I have a relative that lives about two hours away from Lake Placid. Is this too far away to stay the night before the Ironman? I don't want to drive for two hours to do a bike check-in the day before and then drive back, then drive to the event the next morning. But if there's an expo or something to do that may make it worthwhile.
Last edited by: vonschnapps: Nov 14, 18 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman LP: is staying two hours away too far? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes...most definitely...yes. It is too far away especially if you are going to be driving yourself. Add 6 hours to your estimated ironman time and that will be the time you will be door to door. Is this your first Ironman? I avoid driving that far the morning of sprint triathlons if I can help it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman LP: is staying two hours away too far? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way too far. That’s Albany to Lake Placid. That’s ridiculous.

It would also be three drives back and forth at minimum.

1. Packet pickup and check-in on Friday.
2. Bike drop off on Saturday.
3. Race day.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman LP: is staying two hours away too far? [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimike77 wrote:
Add 6 hours to your estimated ironman time and that will be the time you will be door to door.

More like 8-10 hours of added time. He would need to be there almost two hours before the race so that’s already six hours including the round trip drive time. Nobody leaves immediately following the race because you just did a triathlon for 10 to 17 hours and you feel like hell. So two hours or more chilling out post race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman LP: is staying two hours away too far? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If lodging looks pricey now, wait until June when people start to cancel due to injuries, etc. Rooms become available.

Staying that far away would be crazy. Way too much stress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
I have a relative that lives about two hours away from Lake Placid. Is this too far away to stay the night before the Ironman? I don't want to drive for two hours to do a bike check-in the day before and then drive back, then drive to the event the next morning. But if there's an expo or something to do that may make it worthwhile.

These guys are hitting the nail on the head - I was right at about 25min away and that was almost too far in my opinion. You would be better off renting a van parking it on the street near the venue and sleeping on a air mattress....
Last edited by: teddygram: Nov 14, 18 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would even suggest trying to get arrested in Placid on Saturday night in hopes of making bail by 5:30 am Sunday morning before staying 2 hours away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heavens yes

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:

What age group are you in?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman LP: is staying two hours away too far? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
vonschnapps wrote:

What age group are you in?

Ha! That tells me everything...'if you're in my age group...sure it would be no problem'!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Each time I've raced at LP I was just under an hour away. That is about the limit and I'd suggest that two hours is a bit much. Not a bad idea to be in a van in the muni parking lot the night before. But, if you have to drive yourself back the two hours after you finish - that could be rough. Consider the DEC campsites - rollins pond, and/or fish creek pond, (45 minutes away and were I have stayed) Meadowbrook campground is 15 minutes from the start. Each of these are 20 bucks a night - sleep in a tent or rent an RV for a few days. they will sell out and the campsites are available first come first serve - the window to reserve is nine months before your stay. time to reserve now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25 years ago, on race day morning Ma and Pop would shuttle me from Exit 9 to Mt Van for nordic races. It's possible.

But a truly bad idea.

Saranac Lake is about as far as I would go. On race day weekend there are some places that suddenly open for one or two nights. that same Ma and Pop stayed at the Mirror Lake Inn for IMLP. I regret not paying their bill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed in Saranac and that was fine. About 18 minutes to parking on race morning. Not as convenient, but was actually very easy to adjudicicate.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman LP: is staying two hours away too far? [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds crazy. I bit the bullet and booked High Peaks resort, not cheap but I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ for comfort on what will be a uncomfortable day

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman LP: is staying two hours away too far? [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdgreene wrote:
I would even suggest trying to get arrested in Placid on Saturday night in hopes of making bail by 5:30 am Sunday morning before staying 2 hours away.

You win this thread. Tremendous.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman LP: is staying two hours away too far? [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdgreene wrote:

Ha. I had a friend that if out late on a Saturday night in Clemson, SC would try and get arrested because they gave out biscuits at the jail on Sunday AM.

But in seriousness, Wilmington is another option that is price competitive. I rented an entire house for the weekend (5 nights) cheaper than the hotel in town for one room.
Quote Reply