Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd?
Quote | Reply
From the Ironman tracker, it looks like the first female across the line at Ironman Ireland (Svenja Thoes) was DQd shortly after crossing the line for outside assistance. Anyone know the story? That's huge - has a professional winner ever been disqualified before for a non-doping offense?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd? [adnama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adnama wrote:
From the Ironman tracker, it looks like the first female across the line at Ironman Ireland (Svenja Thoes) was DQd shortly after crossing the line for outside assistance. Anyone know the story? That's huge - has a professional winner ever been disqualified before for a non-doping offense?

as I reach into the way back time machine of the sport we have one of the Puntous twins, I believe Erin baker once, there have been a few other pro men

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adnama wrote:

There's been some DQ's for accidental course cutting in the recent past. There was a woman (can't remember who) missed one of the buoys on the swim and Ditlev was DQ'd for going the wrong way on the run.

Can't remember anyone being DQ'd for outside assistance though. I imagine it would have to be pretty blatant to get more than a warning/penalty
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd? [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian (desert dude) was right on Erin Baker - indeed, she was DQ'd at Nice for outside assistance, when it was the major long-distance tri in the world, and she was leading well into the run. It was horribly hot, and someone gave her a cup of water, if I remember correctly. Puntous was DQ'd for drafting, but was not told until a few minutes after she crossed the line as the Ironman World Champion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adnama wrote:

Crowie was DQ’d after winning Honu 70.3 for wearing his speed suit up during the swim so the arms were outside his swim skin. The speed suit rules still continue to confuse both officials and participants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adnama wrote:

Didn't Spencer Smith get DQ for discarding sunglasses on the run once?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Ironman racing, but in ITU they DQ’d Jessica Learmonth and Georgia Taylor-Brown for crossing the line hand in hand in a “contrived finish” at the 2019 Tokyo test event.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Murray was DQ’d from Wts Hamburg about 7-8 years ago for “unsportsmanlike “ conduct after arguing w officials and flipping them off while finishing.

Eta: he was racing for podium or the win and I don’t remember exact finishing spot.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 14, 22 15:01
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd? [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Els Visser won IM Maastrich in 2018 and some days later she was DQ due to missing one buoy during the swim. She then went to court and won the case in 2019.

Recently, another Dutch guy, Youri Keulen, won IM 70.3 Mallorca and was later DQ, still not clear why.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd? [dafa13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dafa13 wrote:
............Youri Keulen, won IM 70.3 Mallorca and was later DQ, still not clear why.

Drafting I believe. Officials told him several times to serve his penalty, he didn't and received his DQ after taking the tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd? [dafa13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dafa13 wrote:

Recently, another Dutch guy, Youri Keulen, won IM 70.3 Mallorca and was later DQ, still not clear why.

He was DQ after receiving a drafting penalty and failing to stop to take it. He (rightly) received some heat for that, as it prevented the actual winner from being the one to take the tape.

I guess that's also the case for Simone Mitchell in Cork, but slightly different if Svenja wasn't given a warning or penalty during the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What assistance did she receive?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

I don't think it's been made public yet. Could be anything, even someone giving her a headache tablet or non-aid station cup of water would count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Will be interesting to see if she contests it. Mutterings about what was said at pro race brief and what was actually allowed. Which would suggest it could be on course nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd? [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I don't think it's been made public yet. Could be anything, even someone giving her a headache tablet or non-aid station cup of water would count.

FN stupid in my opinion. If you are going to make the results public with the DQ at least explain what happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking *super* generally, they will only announce what the rules infraction was until the appeals period is closed, then you might get an explanation (so as to not potentially prejudice the decision process).

It's been *very* messy trying to piece this one together.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just shot a message off to a friend who was there and they said they "heard" nutrition was taken from off course, but said its hearsay at this point as they weren't there and don't know the athlete. There was apparently some confusion at the finish.

I get not wanting to bias the process, by then why announce the DQ at all until you can talk about the supposed infringement.

I'll be curious to hear the real details of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, generalities here, but the process looks something like this:

1.) Officials will other note a potential rules infringement or rules infringement is brought to their attention.
2.) An investigation takes place, and the officials make a determination of whether the athlete has violated the rule and issue the DQ.
3.) Athlete may then appeal that decision.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Again, generalities here, but the process looks something like this:

1.) Officials will other note a potential rules infringement or rules infringement is brought to their attention.
2.) An investigation takes place, and the officials make a determination of whether the athlete has violated the rule and issue the DQ.
3.) Athlete may then appeal that decision.

So in the court of racing is one deemed guilty until proven innocent? Seems like as of this moment she is DQ. Until the investigation proves otherwise she can’t collect any prizes?

In real life you’d be presumed innocent if you broke a law. Police would then investigate the charge and indict you on a criminal statue if they felt they had collected enough evidence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I just shot a message off to a friend who was there and they said they "heard" nutrition was taken from off course, but said its hearsay at this point as they weren't there and don't know the athlete. There was apparently some confusion at the finish.

I get not wanting to bias the process, by then why announce the DQ at all until you can talk about the supposed infringement.

I'll be curious to hear the real details of this.

I think you are right but the contentious issue is what they said was permitted at the Pro Race Brief.

It might be a case of what they said and what they allowed was different.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd? [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know that back in the day (1990s) when triathlon was trying to get into the olympics, one of the hard requirements the IOC had was that the first person across the line had to be the winner. so, no 'time penalties' or whatever else - penalties for fouls had to be served on-course and drafting was legal. i think they very much wanted to avoid this kind of situation.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An athlete DQ is a lot more like a speeding ticket. You were observed doing X. The official makes a determination that X did, in fact, occur. It results in Y penalty. You may then appeal Y penalty.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ireland FPRO Winner DQd? [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://planetatriatlon.com/youri-keulen-ironman-703-mallorca/

the article is in Spanish, but can be translated.

he said he still does not know why he was DQed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok fair but when you are given the penalty you at least know it was for speeding rather than say a broken taillight

It seems we don’t actually know what rule was broken?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outside assistance.

Quote Reply

Prev Next