Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Indiana
Quote | Reply
Saw Ironman just announced on Instagram that a one year only event will be held in 2021... Ironman Indiana 2021 will take place on October 2nd

Registration opens Jan 25th

https://www.instagram.com/ironmantri/

Edit: Looks like this will be on the same day as 70.3 Muncie. Double loop of each segment perhaps?
Last edited by: awobabobob: Jan 13, 21 11:48
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [awobabobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've been racing at this venue for over 40 years. Come join us! Two loop swim, new bike course on State Highways that will continue to be closed to traffic and two loop run around the south side of the reservoir.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is this going to work with Muncie 70.3 on the same day?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awobabobob wrote:
Saw Ironman just announced on Instagram that a one year only event will be held in 2021...

Until it sells out in 1 day and Ironman invents another one year only event in North America.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2019 I did IM Whistler and my husband did the 70.3 both on the same day. I saw no problems and it was well organized. The bike course wasn't crowded like I feared. The 70.3 swim went off after the full IM swim. The full had a lot less people than a normal US IM due to the difficulty of the course (very hilly bike). Maybe around 1K instead of the usual 2-3K (but not sure of the #s).

I'm really glad WTC is adding this full IM since all US IMs are sold out thanks to the pandemic.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
How is this going to work with Muncie 70.3 on the same day?
Having a 70.3 and Ironman on the same course at the same time is common and only need a little extra logistical planning.
Ironman adds one-time full-distance race in Indiana - Triathlon Magazine Canada
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds cold!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily. Did a non-IM half distance race at the same venue this year, last weekend of September. It got up to 80 during the run!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So four laps on the bike? I’m signed up for the half from the 2020 deferral, wondering if they will offer the option to switch to the full.

With IM Louisville out this may be a trial to see if Muncie is a viable option for a midwestern full.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New bike course with two loops for the full and one loop for the 70.3. Maps should be up any day. Still completely closed courses. Will allow registered 70.3 folks to jump up to the IM, just give us a few weeks and once general reg is open those requests will be handled.

Brian
Last edited by: endurathonrd: Jan 13, 21 17:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian,

#1. Thanks for always keeping us up to date with news on your races.

#2. Can you (if not, I totally understand) tell us the thinking on why this race is "one time only" or if there is any possibility that it would become a permanent race?

Thanks,
Alan Parker
japarker24

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the first Muncie Endurathon - maybe I should sign up and do this first IM Indiana! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news! we all have enough time to prepare to it. See you, guys there!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Brian,

#1. Thanks for always keeping us up to date with news on your races.

#2. Can you (if not, I totally understand) tell us the thinking on why this race is "one time only" or if there is any possibility that it would become a permanent race?

Thanks,
Alan Parker
japarker24

Obviously Covid has completely screwed up our event world while at the same time creating demand we haven't seen in a while. Its clear our athletes want to race and with everything being sold out, we wanted to give some more athletes a shot at doing a full IM in 2021. We had to work quick to make this happen which meant working with a city we already had a relationship with. Muncie has a long history (over 40 years) and was on board from the first meeting. It was clear from the beginning that this would only be a one time deal. I can't tell you what will happen with other events or new events after 2021 (Im no longer privy to that sort of info), but my plan is for this just to be a one and done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are able to share, what were the sign up numbers like for the full? How many are you letting register? I am assuming Kona slots available, do you know how many?
Last edited by: jpay: Jan 25, 21 17:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you tell us a little about the bike course

there isn't anything on the website about elevation gain etc.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [Tylertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If my memory serves me there are just some rollers out on the bike, nothing big.

Play with the satellite map and you kind of get the idea of the roads.

muncie indiana reservoir - Google Maps
Last edited by: Dudaddy: Feb 8, 21 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dudaddy wrote:
If my memory serves me there are just some rollers out on the bike, nothing big.

Play with the satellite map and you kind of get the idea of the roads.

muncie indiana reservoir - Google Maps

thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I know you're getting bombarded with questions.

Dumb question; so safe to assume the bike course will just be 2 loops of the 70.3 bike course? Hoping so!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [treknv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike course map is just about done. It’s a new course for this year. The 70.3 has been two loops for a while so we couldn’t do four loops for the IM. Still on the highway, just stretched it out a bit. Two loops for the IM and one loop for the 70.3. Around 2200 feet of gain for the IM and 1100 for the 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elevation gain sounds precisely what it was for the Muncie 70.3 course so hopefully it's just as flat and fast? That's a seriously flat course, which would be fantastic!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
I did the first Muncie Endurathon - maybe I should sign up and do this first IM Indiana! Z

My first triathlon ever (after a couple of duathlons) was Muncie back in '95 or '96 maybe. I was in my mid-30s and passed a guy in the last mile of the run in his late 60s I believe. Then I realized later he started after me so I didn't actually beat him. I was just over six hours, my swim sucked. I didn't even know what a wetsuit was until I saw people pulling them on that morning.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
tomziebart wrote:

My first triathlon ever (after a couple of duathlons) was Muncie back in '95 or '96 maybe. I was in my mid-30s and passed a guy in the last mile of the run in his late 60s I believe. Then I realized later he started after me so I didn't actually beat him. I was just over six hours, my swim sucked. I didn't even know what a wetsuit was until I saw people pulling them on that morning.

Muncie Endurathon aka Muncie 70.3 is sometimes wetsuit legal? Isn't this race typically hotter than hell.....literally.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
tomziebart wrote:

Muncie Endurathon aka Muncie 70.3 is sometimes wetsuit legal? Isn't this race typically hotter than hell.....literally.
It is but they find a way to make it legal. Dump some ice water in the reservoir before taking a reading? I’m not sure. I did it one year that was barely wetsuit legal and the water was miserable in a wetsuit. Full regret.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Indiana [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are people feeling about the October date?

I looked up average weather temps for Indiana and seems like highs in the mid-sixties. Would that be too cold?
Quote Reply

Prev Next