Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Hawaii and ill fitting bike
Quote | Reply
isit just me or the NYFD guy cannondale is just rad too big for him ?? Also Thomas Hellrigel seems to be too stretch out on his cannondale. I believe both are 700c wheel size cannondale ironman bicycle. Is the cannondale built triathlon bicycle just have a longer than average top tube ?

again, if it fits the PROS, what do i know
Last edited by: Haji Hutan: Jan 12, 03 14:17
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii and ill fitting bike [Haji Hutan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannondale's do generally run long top tubes and yes the Fireman was on a bike that was too large. Most people adapt to bikes as opposed to getting fit properly like in his case. Dan and many of us stress bike fit but as we all know, fitting a tri bike can be difficult for the majority of store.

Steve H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looked too large and it also looked like his bars were up way too high compared to where his seat was situated. Cannondales do have taller head tubes (I ride an older Cannondale and have my stem upside down to drop the bars to where it like them) than some bikes which combined with the extra size would make it really hard for him to get properly set up on this bike. Although, maybe he has back problems or something and likes to sit back.....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii and ill fitting bike [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no fit-guy but it was fairly obvious the NYFD athlete was on the wrong bike. What's with Zach toasting himself on the bike, going 5 miles on the run before DNF'ing. Are the bragging rights or $$$ that big for the fastest bike split?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii and ill fitting bike [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have heard that Zack had some mega gasto'ish problems when he started the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii and ill fitting bike [Bungle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zack also battled an inflamed achilles tendon all season, somedays it was worse than others. I think he got exactly what he wanted, to be the first off the bike. Knowing that his run was going to be suspect, first off the bike was more of a personal victory for him.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii and ill fitting bike [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am real cautious to say that someone was on too large of a bike for them. We all have different fit issues, flexiblity, presumption of what is comfortable, etc... We are bombarded by pictures of super athletes with huge saddle to bar drop distances and many of us try to look like that. I am a big believer in the fact that the more comfortable I am, the faster I go. Less of a drop and less aerodynamic, but more comfortable acutally increases my speed. It is really hard to look at someone on a bike and say that they are on the wrong size. We all have different issues and flexiblity.

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii and ill fitting bike [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It looked too large and it also looked like his bars were up way too high compared to where his seat was situated.

Just a wild guess but I'm wondering if that was really "his" own bike. When they had shots of him training it certainly didn't look like the same bike and the Cannondale looked like their new Ironman branded entry. Maybe he was given it because he was to be featured in the race coverage. Whatever the case, all credit to him...he had a dang good finish time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought the same thing about the NYFD guy but I certainly wouldn't suggest that Thomas H. is doing it wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larry Parker. the NYFD guy, is a friend of a friend who told me that yes, the Cannondale was too big for him. I don't know how he got it but I know that IM Hawaii was his first race on it. 2 months later at IM Florida, Larry went back to his old bike and had a 5:02 bike split and a sub 10 hour race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii and ill fitting bike [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But rumor has it that bikes looks 3 pounds heavier and, therefore, bigger on TV... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii and ill fitting bike [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell your buddy that he is a bad ass...

watching the footage about him... just watching him train got me amped and I did a long run the next day... I then caught a cold and have been laid out since... (just leave the part about the cold out)

You should get him to post some messages on this board... I think that it would be nice
Quote Reply