Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread
Quote | Reply
folks are already in transition, getting ready for the start. we're close! place your race day commentary here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one thing, before we get things going. we're beginning a circulation drive today. "circulation" in our parlance is getting our slowtwitch weekly newsletter.

we'll be giving away a bunch of stuff. the earlier you sign up, the better your chances to win. if you already are on our weekly newsletter list, you are still eligible. if you sign up and you don't like our weekly newsletters there's an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every one of them. one click and you're off the list.

our newsletter sign up is at the bottom of this (and every slowtwitch) page.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coverage is up and so is the sun!!

http://www.ironman.com/...y=2016#axzz4MVeFnLFQ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're already a subscriber just hit the subscribe button to enter, correct ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the live positions link ....

https://batrk.co/Events/IMWCKona/?g=MPRO

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
German livestream if you're interested in no commercials and better footage: http://hessenschau.de/...-livestream-100.html The streams starts in approximately 15 min.

Train to race. Race to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are already talking about how fast the swim is going to be today, guess that answers our question if they shortened the course. Looks like they will probably be going with the short buoys they set up last week for the test swim. I just hope they set the old records into another category rather than erase them, unlike the supersuit records that were set in swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you're already a subscriber just hit the subscribe button to enter, correct?"

yes. after you've typed in your email address!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 8, 16 9:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pros are in the water warming up. Not a breath of wind and dead calm conditions for the swim. Absolutely stunning sunrise. It's going to be a special day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so far......files i got from athlete doing the test swim last weekend show it wasnt short....but a few meters long.

i think the commentator are just doing small talk. there is no way for anyone to know if the course will be fast or not....if the current will be there or not etc.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [flyingirish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Any other options for coverage either English commentary?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flyingirish wrote:
German livestream if you're interested in no commercials and better footage: http://hessenschau.de/...-livestream-100.html The streams starts in approximately 15 min.

I followed that stream last year and loved it. At the end I almost remembered my high school German.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Simple Stevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I am aware of. But others may know of something.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so far......files i got from athlete doing the test swim last weekend show it wasnt short....but a few meters long.

I meant short from the traditional course they have been using for over 35 years..I have no idea what it measures out to, just that it has not changed over the years, until apparently this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
They are already talking about how fast the swim is going to be today, guess that answers our question if they shortened the course. Looks like they will probably be going with the short buoys they set up last week for the test swim. I just hope they set the old records into another category rather than erase them, unlike the supersuit records that were set in swimming.

x2 on that. When I looked at the hour by hour weather for Kona and Hawi it does not go much above 85F today and winds in the 12-16 mph range. Looks like it should be a headwind up to Hawi, tailwind coming down and headwind all the way back once they get back on the QueenK. Still looks like sub 8 weather with the new swim reduction if guys race each other from the gun rather than play poker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link straight to the livestream source (can chromecast from chrome browser at least):
http://livestream.com/ironman/events/6435012

Link to live blog (helpful if out and about on mobile):
http://embed.scribblelive.com/...22&ThemeId=33838
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got home from the pool. Got it going with 55 seconds on the clock. Great picture so far. Have to go make lunch.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flyingirish wrote:

cheers - better quality but my German ain't so good. What's the best thing to accompany the footage? Apart from this thread of course :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once they get on the bike the German one is the one to watch and if you are able to have the traditional IM live broadcast in the background so you can get the english audio. Last year, the IM footage missed a lot of the action as they were chatting away about who knows what and the producers didn't cut to the action but the german broadcast caught it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Potts looks to be swimming a very smart race. Tucked in 3rd for a good draft, not wasting energy trying to tow the whole group. Let's see if that gives him some good energy to finally bike on some decent rubber! I

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good early pace, Potts seems lost and now is sitting on. Still a large front group, someone will have to put the hammer down soon if they want just a few coming out together. Looks like a 3 group split happening right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
flyingirish wrote:

I followed that stream last year and loved it. At the end I almost remembered my high school German.

I'm glad I speak German. It's so much better, a different class of commentary by pro TV presenters, and athlete who can actually recognize the people in the swim. Very good.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the second placed swimmer has covered shoulders? How come? Is this allowed?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [AndiMacTen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there's another thread on this. apparently yes, it's now allowed.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [AndiMacTen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They changed the rules this past year so that you can have your shoulders covered. just can't go past your elbows or knees

Quote Reply

Prev Next